Cultivated Reef

A.G.E. 40"x28"x22" Barebottom SPS dominant

fishez4alivin

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fishez4alivin

I use a Canon XsI that I bought from a local member who was getting divorced. At first it was a loan...it's alright, comes with a macro lens, but I mainly use the stock lens....I really don't know wtf I am doing with it...I take 300 pics to get one decent one. Thanks

fishez4alivin

Yes, i used to have 3 of them, but the male jumped, twice, the second time wasn't so good to him. If you are going with those, I would save the money, and buy 3-5 females, and one will dominate, and turn into a male. It takes maybe 3 months.

I considered Jordanis but they're far too expensive here because we can't get them locally sadly. That said, I've got a choice of Rhombos, Lineatus, and Luboutei for under $80 a head which I'm definitely not sad about :lol: even some of the "less" exciting (I say "less" as I personally find them just as gorgeous as the stuff you see for like 4 or 5 times their price) ones have me thinking hard.

Do you screen the top of your tank to stop jumpers?

fishez4alivin

As long as you get the 1/4" net, a few guys sell it on RC and R2R. You can order a roll, but then you will have to upgrade substantially to use it all. 1/2" =gill netting, I found my Girdled Wrasse stuck in the old netting I had. You got to be kidding me on those prices on wrasses, my Lineatus was really expensive, good thing I traded corals to the LFS for him. Yeah HI Flame wrasses are like 80 dollars for a small female. Get 3-5 of those and you will have a nice little harem. But before you buy any, get a screen top built for it. Trust me, I lost a few trying to preserve my rimless look. Lineatus Super Male has to be one of the best looking wrasses available....get a pair at your prices for sure.

I need to have a hunt around for some netting actually, thankfully I've got a little while before anything which is really a jumping risk goes in my tank. I don't think I'll have Fairies for about 6 months or so after setup, occasionally my supplier gets through some really beautiful Fairies, some of 'em I'm fairly sure aren't officially described yet. Recently he had a trio of Kenyan Cirrhilabrus exquisitus, the colours were so different to anything else I'd ever seen. Stunning. I guess we get lucky on some stuff... others we get absolutely shafted for. $900+ for Holacanthus ciliaris comes to mind :angry:

How do you find the size of your tank, mate? Like, if you had the opportunity, would you change it at all? I'm already brainstorming the next (practical...) upgrade and something around this seems a nice size...

fishez4alivin
I need to have a hunt around for some netting actually, thankfully I've got a little while before anything which is really a jumping risk goes in my tank. I don't think I'll have Fairies for about 6 months or so after setup, occasionally my supplier gets through some really beautiful Fairies, some of 'em I'm fairly sure aren't officially described yet. Recently he had a trio of Kenyan Cirrhilabrus exquisitus, the colours were so different to anything else I'd ever seen. Stunning. I guess we get lucky on some stuff... others we get absolutely shafted for. $900+ for Holacanthus ciliaris comes to mind :angry:

How do you find the size of your tank, mate? Like, if you had the opportunity, would you change it at all? I'm already brainstorming the next (practical...) upgrade and something around this seems a nice size...

Thanks iglow....the tank size was the largest footprint that I could have with my Powermodule. When I got the 10x39W, it was over a custom 36x24x16" acrylic tank I glued. The light was way overkill, and I had to shade everything except my sps. I actually had to raise the light 12" above the waterline to keep corals from bleaching. This of course led the way to the current tank. I had also purchased the ATB for the 60G, so when I upgraded, I only needed the tank and stand, I had everything else. I admit, that around a month after I filled the tank, I started getting quotes from AGE for a 80"x30"x24" tank. That one is still a maybe, I'm sitting on the quote as we speak. I was also going to have them build me a 24"x24"x12" frag/display tank, that I would plumb into the system. That upgrade would cost me more than 2 1/2 times the cost of this tank....lol...plus I would need a new light, and bigger skimmer and sump. Im still thinking hard about blowing that money.

A guy in my local club just filled his 4'x3'x2' Miracles tank. It's around 300G and it's pretty sweet with a school of tangs swimming through his rockwork. It's so tempting, but the cost to build it, stock it and run it may be more than I am willing to sacrifice from my other hobbies...

Thanks iglow....the tank size was the largest footprint that I could have with my Powermodule. When I got the 10x39W, it was over a custom 36x24x16" acrylic tank I glued. The light was way overkill, and I had to shade everything except my sps. I actually had to raise the light 12" above the waterline to keep corals from bleaching. This of course led the way to the current tank. I had also purchased the ATB for the 60G, so when I upgraded, I only needed the tank and stand, I had everything else. I admit, that around a month after I filled the tank, I started getting quotes from AGE for a 80"x30"x24" tank. That one is still a maybe, I'm sitting on the quote as we speak. I was also going to have them build me a 24"x24"x12" frag/display tank, that I would plumb into the system. That upgrade would cost me more than 2 1/2 times the cost of this tank....lol...plus I would need a new light, and bigger skimmer and sump. Im still thinking hard about blowing that money.

A guy in my local club just filled his 4'x3'x2' Miracles tank. It's around 300G and it's pretty sweet with a school of tangs swimming through his rockwork. It's so tempting, but the cost to build it, stock it and run it may be more than I am willing to sacrifice from my other hobbies...

If you were to blow the money, that'd be a lovely size to go with. Though the 4x3x2 is a beautiful size as well... I know 3 guys with 'em, one is full of various exotic Anthias (P. pascalus, P. parvirostris, P. tuka, P. ventralis, P. lori, P. smithvanizi, P. bartlettorum), one is a Starphire SPS ZEO reef, one is full of crazy LPS... no matter what you put in 'em they look awesome. I reckon with the 10x39 you'd go close to lighting a 4x3x2 if you aquascaped intelligently... like, have the rock structures away from the front and back (which in itself would give channels for fish to swim in and coax them forward?). Stocking though, that's another issue... so many nice things that make the hip pocket scream in pain... :lol:

The more I see, the more I realise that keeping your designs inside of boundaries is absolute paramount. I guess the key is actually realising those boundaries exist first?

fishez4alivin

I love fish, and want to have a school of tangs swimming in my tank. For lighting, I would ditch my Powermodule and get this....3x250W + 8@39W T5" http://www.sfiligoi.it/files/download/INFINITY%20ING.pdf While this upgrade was not too expensive, just the tank and stand, the next upgrade would cost considerably more money, since I would need it all...not including purchasing much more coral so it doesnt look empty...lol

• 1 month later...
fishez4alivin

Been awhile since I've updated this thread. To make a long story short, I had two events, one was my skimmer overflowed and the misting was too much for my Profilux, so I burned out a circuit board. The fix was 40 dollars, but my SPS took a little hit. My cali and oregon torts RTN'd on me, which sucks since I've had them for over 18 months. I almost lost my Hawkins but I caught it in time to frag out. Alk got to below 4.5 dkh, which was probably two days without dosing. My other event was my first ever bout with Cyano. I had some areas of sand which turned to concrete, and I couldn't get that area sifted or vacuumed out. I tried a siphoning out the cyano into a filter sock, but it was just too painstaking. I decided to go and do a sandbed removal. This was not as hard as I would think, since a lot of the sandbed had turned hard on me. It was removed in large sheets cemented to the rock.

I found out a few things, for one, it must take a really ill fish or super crappy water to kill a fish. Since I had around 4 " of standing dark brown water and couldn't even see the fish to catch. I ran out of large totes to place rock in, as well as water to cover them up sufficiently. So many pieces stayed out of water for the whole process. Luckily nothing died, some browned out, but seem to be recovering each day, showing improved color.

All these problems occurred because I totally neglected my tank, and luckily, the loses were very minimal, considering the extreme changes and poor quality of the water. Anyway here is the before, and the after pics, my aquascape is pretty much finished on the left, but the right side needs more rock, which I have in my sump, but feel short on my epoxy.

newest002.jpg

20100812_92-1.jpg

It's funny, when you move stuff around, you notice the growth, this ATL Appleberry was less than 1/2" when I got it last year, and always seemed slow at growth. When I moved the branch rock it's on, I noticed it had gotten around 2" across.

20100812_56.jpg

fishez4alivin

Strawberry Shortcake Acro, was looking pretty good before the move, even in the garbage can, it had the great lime green with bright pink coralites, but it turned a little brown sitting in the can for those few hours. At least the new growth didn't brown on me.

20100812_46-1.jpg

I have two Efflos this one is a Blue tipped one, that was kinda bleached out from my light. Funny thing, it came from a guy with 400W Radiums. I built a rock tower just to mount these corals...

20100812_18.jpg

The other corals are a tabling acro that is highly distributed in my local club, as well as a red tabling acro I got from ATL last summer, I just noticed it had tripled in size from the micro frag I bought.

Well the tank still looks awesome :)

every time i see this tank i wanna pull the trigger and order my 40x36x22 age tank, external overflow plumbed for the beananimal

fishez4alivin
every time i see this tank i wanna pull the trigger and order my 40x36x22 age tank, external overflow plumbed for the beananimal

You should just go for it..

Thanks fellas, it wasn't too bad once I decided to get everything in order. Fresh pics with my PAS G9

Jedi Mind Trick from Exoticfrags, first frag they made from their mother.

20100815_26.jpg

20100815_43.jpg

Took a week for the PL to regain it's color from the brown out last weekend.

20100815_22.jpg

20100815_8.jpg

20100815_37.jpg

fishez4alivin

Thanks, it's a really cool coral that can get a darker green to it in a little lower light, the purple rim with the dark red polyps on the growth edge is awesome too.

Here's a shot of the tank, from the corner, so you can see the depth of the rock structure

cornertankshot.jpg

fishez4alivin

The larger structure has some branch that gives a lot of space under the rocks, like low arches. Fish really like it and it's nice to keep some of my LPS from getting sun burned from the 10 bulbs...

20100815_37-2.jpg

fishez4alivin

Yes it is, important that flow can clean the reef, and sweep it into easy to reach areas of the tank to make it easier to clean. So I finalized my scape, as well as trapped my foxface, blue throat trigger, Yellow coris, let the purple tang escape. I'm getting rid of most of the fish for two reasons. One was I was looking at the tank, and while I love the fish, it doesnt look natural with all those different fish in there. I'm going to get a few more Hawaiian Flame Wrasse females, and call it a day.

I almost have all the coral mounted off the bottom of the tank...

I needed one last piece of the puzzle on my right rock structure. I found a couple pieces in my sump that I epoxied together to make a slight arch. I laid it in front of the right rock creating a little shaded area for more LPS.

IMG_8788.jpg

Random shots I took today

IMG_8742.jpg

IMG_8743.jpg

IMG_8744.jpg

IMG_8745.jpg

IMG_8795.jpg

IMG_8799.jpg

IMG_8812.jpg

IMG_8819-1.jpg

animalmaster6

Tank looks really amazing, it does.

I like the idea of the Hawaiian Flame Wrasse.

I love these dimensions Btw. You can do so much for aquascaping.

Archived