Top Shelf Aquatics

DHaut's Hoity Toity

Deleted User 6

What bulbs are you looking for? T5s?

And I wish I could just up and go to any fishstore nearby. I'm unfortunately limited to public transportation :(

D

Yup, T5s. I've been very happy with the fixture I have (nova extreme) with the stock bulbs, but since it's time to replace the bulbs, I figure I might as well see what happens with the better ones. :)

I'm limited to public transportation, too. :(

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm...I don't know much about T5s. I just bought two of the 18" units, but I'm limited to 10k and actinic bulbs in that one.

Why are you limited? Asking because this is one of my fears, I'll figure out how to pay for the better bulbs, and they won't be useable in my fixture.

Deleted User 6

i'm limited in that they don't make the good bulbs for mine. the 18" Nova Extreme can only use the Current stock bulbs. Anything 24" and bigger can use any bulb.

If it were me, I would go to one of the LFS that stock a lot of fish (like Absolutely Fish), and stand in front of the tanks staring, until I saw the colors/behaviors that worked for me. :D

Mostly, I'm driving myself nuts this morning trying to figure out what bulbs I'll get. :huh:

~Anne

Absolutely Fish didn't really have anything ... went there yesterday with their best customer ... lol ... baby Blue Throat Trigger was all they really had out of the 100's and 100's of fish ... Wasn't an expected stop ... lol ... we were waiting for his wife to finish cooking dinner ... so we decided lets go to another fish store! YAY!!! lol

That store's in Jersey?

Clifton, NJ ... they have some nice stuff ... place is a little snotty to me ... but who knows ... they seemed better yesterday. :)

Yes, in Clifton, route 46. Very big, lots and lots of stock. I've had good luck there (healthy fish and corals), but you have to look carefully and be choosy. Like most places, I guess.

I've heard stories of them not being nice, or accomodating, but my experiences have been positive.

Deleted User 6

Not in particular. I thought about them. They're just kinda common and I thought it would be cool to get something a bit less common. Can you keep more than 2 neon's in a tank?

Hmm, according to live aquaria, not more than a mated pair; but I swear I saw someone somewhere who had a small school. I was thinking the gold neons would look cool.

Hey thanks Prof! In the end I decided to not add any trim to the tank. The window and the door add plenty to keep it from looking like just a box.

Also, I found a perfect ATO jug to go in the stand. 11g 15" square and 18" high. I was pretty stoked.

I've looked at the chalk bass before. I wonder how many will fit in a 9g tank?

As long as your happy with the tank it's all good Bro. You did a great job on it.

IRT Chalk Bass they stay pretty tiny. I think you could definately get away with a school of 3, maybe 5. The colors are really more impressive in person than the pics you see on line. I actually am stuck between choosing between a school of 9-13 Chalk Bass for the 40 or a trio of Anthias. Decisions, decisions. :P

-Prof

As long as your happy with the tank it's all good Bro. You did a great job on it.

IRT Chalk Bass they stay pretty tiny. I think you could definately get away with a school of 3, maybe 5. The colors are really more impressive in person than the pics you see on line. I actually am stuck between choosing between a school of 9-13 Chalk Bass for the 40 or a trio of Anthias. Decisions, decisions. :P

-Prof

I say Chalk Bass ... lol ... Don't see them all that often ... especially a school of them ... Anthias ... everyone has a trio of Anthias.

I say Chalk Bass ... lol ... Don't see them all that often ... especially a school of them ... Anthias ... everyone has a trio of Anthias.

Truth.

D have you made a fish decision yet?

-Prof

Deleted User 6

I like the chalk bass idea, but I'm wary of putting 3 fish in the tank when they can grow to 3". Think 3 chalk bass will be ok in a 9g tank? Will they have enough swimming room in a mainly verticle area?

I like the chalk bass idea, but I'm wary of putting 3 fish in the tank when they can grow to 3". Think 3 chalk bass will be ok in a 9g tank? Will they have enough swimming room in a mainly verticle area?

It's a push but I think they will do fine.

-Prof

Deleted User 6

How do they do in groups of 3? To school do they typically need more than 3? Will they fight?

I know nothing about them, lol.

the more I read about them, the more I doubt they will be ok in such a small tank :(

looks like most people recommend a tank of 100g for a group of them, with places for them to hide. I don't have any place for fish to hide in my top display.

Deleted User 6

Some SPS shots:

642492612_89AMx-XL.jpg

This one's recovering from some tissue loss:

642490268_NaPZw-XL.jpg

The browned out (now pink?) monti:

642491937_63Nhg-XL.jpg

And green banded gobies are the frontrunner right now in the fish poll. Except for the people who voted "other". :)

Archived