Coral Vue Hydros

Rare and nice corals, and fish!

weeber

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the info. I'm using an XTi with a Canon 100mm macro. I use that lens pretty much in manual all the time as well for the same reason you stated. Looks like that extra 80mm allows you to get really get up close. I don't know if it's the thickness of my glass but it's very hard to take really sharp photos inside the tank, although my recent coral pics have come out alot sharper than before. I guess I just need more practice. Anyway, my shipment of corals should come tomorrow so I will take some photos and contribute to this thread. Btw, awesome shots especially of the baby dendro. I should try to see if I can get a shot of my sun coral babies. I have tons of them growing in my sun coral tank.

No prob, I'm always learning new tips/tricks myself. I'm not certain its the focal length helping me here, as at their minimum focusing distance, most true macro lenses reproduce a 1:1 image size. (the size of the object is the size it appears on the sensor, hence why they look so huge when you view them at full resolution) The extra 80mm alters my working distance, meaning I can focus at 1:1 from slightly farther away. I'm considering trying a 25mm extension tube, enabling me to focus even closer, improving magnification to greater than 1:1.

A couple tips I have for you:

-Try to ensure your camera is shooting level through the glass, and as straight on as is possible. (the more angle there is from having the front glass of the camera lens parallel to the tank, the greater the image distortion) This makes it tough to photograph some objects in the tank, but for most purposes, should work well. (this will also help allow you to use a slow shutter speed if there is not much available light) A tripod and shutter release cable help quite a bit, and for the slower shutter speeds, enable mirror lock-up. First button press will lock the mirror up, second will take the photo. This minimizes the camera's vibration during the image acquisition.

-Try turning off the pumps to minimize or stop water flow. I've not actually done this myself, but I've read about it a bit, and given the implied effect, it could help in photographing corals which sway with the current, even if the movement is very minor.

-Strive for the rule of reciprocal on shutter speed. (basically it states that your shutter speed should be at minimum 1/(focal length) to produce a stable image) This does not always just apply for hand-held shots, but can also apply for slowly moving subjects. The greater the movement, and the longer the focal length, the higher the shutter speed is required to cleanly capture a "still image."

-Practice, practice, practice! We photograph things because we love doing so, keeping at it will help make you better at doing so. I'm still learning a LOT about my cameras and lenses, and I've been working with them for several years now. (I'm also learning to trust one of my lenses a lot more than I used to) Very often, we will take a few "test shots" with a lens, and not be satisfied with the results, often blaming them on the lens itself. Sometimes we must go back and try to examine exactly what we did, and may learn that our technique was less than ideal, disallowing the lens to perform its job as it should. I've owned the Canon 70-200 2.8L IS for a year and a half now, and I am still learning to tap into its potential. Keep at it, and I'm sure you'll be pleased. :)

A couple tips I have for you:

Thanks again. I am using most of those techniques. I try to turn off the pumps but sometimes things just look lifeless without the circulation. I do hate the "snow" effect that is caused by having the pumps on. I think I'm getting there with corals. Now it's just taking photos of moving fish and things too deep in the tank. The 70-200 f2.8 is a nice lens, though really expensive. I have the 70-300 f4-5.6 but I really wish I would have bought the 70-200 f4 instead. I just thought that I would like to get the f2.8 anyway so I shouldn't waste my money on the f4. Now after three years and I am still nowhere near ready to buy the f2.8.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic. Here's some recent shots took of the nicest corals in my tank which I just recently purchased.

War Coral

4180372293_66fe118a91_o.jpg

Purple and Green Micromussa

4181135264_9cf062f318_o.jpg

Purple Bonzai Acropora

4180372391_70bf269c84_o.jpg

Superman Chalice

4181135348_b55ef8434d_o.jpg

I got a shipping confirmation from one of my orders so I'm excited to see those. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.

SWEET raptors peace favia Marv i have always wanted one of those. :)

Also sweet war coral Guia x that is another coral i have wanted.

Thanks. I got my shipment in today. I bought another war coral that's lighter color and brighter green centers. All of the zoos and rics that I ordered are all still pissed off from shipping and still closed up, so hopefully tomorrow I can take some pics.

Thanks. I got my shipment in today. I bought another war coral that's lighter color and brighter green centers. All of the zoos and rics that I ordered are all still pissed off from shipping and still closed up, so hopefully tomorrow I can take some pics.

are they open yet i cant wait to see them. :) and marv why dont u post the pic of the scolys before feeding because it is an in sane pic.

Here they are!!!

the first new rhinopias.

DSCN1048.jpg

DSCN1053.jpg

the second new one. i could not get any good pics because he was in a dark cave far away from the glass.

DSCN1051.jpg

and the zoas. i have a bigger colony but i could not get better pics of them but they are the same these just fell of the main colony.

DSCN1057.jpg

DSCN1061.jpg

enjoy and post more pics. :)

Thanks for postin pics of ur new rhinopias East1 i hope u love him. :)

Here they are!!!

the first new rhinopias.

DSCN1048.jpg

DSCN1053.jpg

the second new one. i could not get any good pics because he was in a dark cave far away from the glass.

DSCN1051.jpg

and the zoas. i have a bigger colony but i could not get better pics of them but they are the same these just fell of the main colony.

DSCN1057.jpg

DSCN1061.jpg

enjoy and post more pics. :)

Thanks for postin pics of ur new rhinopias East1 i hope u love him. :)

the first one is gorgeous, i turned down getting a frondosa like him cus the lip was torn, and i didnt wanna have him waste away :( i kinda regret it now :P

the first one is gorgeous, i turned down getting a frondosa like him cus the lip was torn, and i didnt wanna have him waste away :( i kinda regret it now :P

yah that one is quite nice but they have a purple on like him but a bit smaller who is really nice and they have had for like 2 or 3 months now. u can find pics of him on earlier pages if u have not already seen them.

IMG_2587.jpg

i found these acans to be really unique. they were deflated at the time but the outer rim is white/blue, inner rim red, and the middle is orange and green!

IMG_2587.jpg

i found these acans to be really unique. they were deflated at the time but the outer rim is white/blue, inner rim red, and the middle is orange and green!

i love acans with a white/blue color on them!!!! i want!!!!

I really like a lot of the corals on here except for the chalice since it's not my favorite. I really like Nemo Niblets Rics. I thought I had good Rics till I saw them. Rics are my favorite!

I really like a lot of the corals on here except for the chalice since it's not my favorite. I really like Nemo Niblets Rics. I thought I had good Rics till I saw them. Rics are my favorite!

rics are awesome i love them. urs are pretty sweet i dont have any bright orange ones like those yet. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I have been really busy over the holiday break and will take pictures tomorrow since all the new stuff is opening up nicely now (the neon green branching hammer and the rusty blue with purple mouth Ricordea Florida (one unlike any I have seen on LiveAquaria most have had green mouths and are more blue)).

Archived