inTank Media Baskets

Her Elos Mini with Aquaillumination LED Module

Babyham6

Thanks Formatsreef. It's not really a guess of whether or not my tank is saturated enough in living bacteria to waste ratio because it is saturated enough. In all honesty, comments that are intended for the sole purpose of degredation are very distinct and uncalled for. Let it be said again that this system is basically a transfer of live rock from one established tank to another. 15lbs from a broken down frag tank and 10lbs that was out of water for 6 hours max.

I hope not to reiterate those facts yet again and let the tank speak for itself. This girl has done her homework. I won't be addressing these childish "attacks" anymore.

Actually the rock and everything is completely new, thats not the point. Maybe you should do a little research and listen to the other members who post on here. Obviously you're here for a reason so why not take a little advice?

Maybe you shoudlnt' BS and get caught in the act so you might have had some credibility at the get go. ::Shows you to the door.

Thank youuu darlin' :)

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok just keep cheking out those params and keep on making those water changes :) Those zoas you got as freebies are amazing :o I love them. I am planning a 20 long right now. Have almost all the stuff that I need. It will be mostly a transfer from my frag tank to the tank.

This is so embarrasing. :blush:

This is why I'll never meet you in person Mckoy cuz I'm grumpy pants

For you yes. For me this is entertainment. I'm not going to say you are going too fast or too slow. (is that possible) Everyone has an opinion. Some have a hard time expressing their thoughts in a polite and dignifying way.

If you think that is bad. Don't even try the lounge. I've attempted two intelligent conversations and topics only to have ignorant delinquents respond with pointless accusations. The internet has a way of transforming the weak and powerless into magnificent digital warriors.

Besides every tank is different. From my experience with transferring rock I had a 1 day small cycle with diatoms remaining for 2 days. This was a transfer of rock for only 15 minutes out of water. It really surprised me as I figured I would not have a cycle.

If your tank has not crashed by now. Then you are in the clear. It is almost a 24 hour turn around time to see if you have overloaded the tank. Basically you will know right away.

Off topic, or back on? PHOTOS!!! I dislike tank threads that are just words. Pictures please!!!

This is so embarrasing. :blush:

This is why I'll never meet you in person Mckoy cuz I'm grumpy pants

:lol: new yorker=grumpy pants!

:tears: i'm hoping to meet you and trade frags..

hey babyham6,

how about free shrimp/manicure on the haus... :)

A little cynical are we? :blink: Thanks for stopping by cowboy.

not cynical, realistic. you've got a great tank with great equipment, but that doesn't speed up natures process. your tank may cycle quick, but that doesn't mean that it's even remotely stable enough for SPS. check my thread i break all kinds of "rules", but some shouldn't be f"ed with.

btw, this isn't this cowboys first rodeo. i was just trying to give a newb some useful advice, sorry it isn't what you wanted to hear, princess.

good luck w/ your tank, it has immense potential.

Honestly, as long as she checks the water for small spike she should be fine. Guys it called a soft cyle. . Keeping feeding to a slight min for the first week or 2 to maintain the bioload as more bacteria develop. But she really didn't do anything wrong.

Lazj9, your kinda taking this a bit too much. Sure you'll wait 3-4 weeks, ok good for you. And telling her to do her research and such after the fact the tank is setup? Isn't it alittle too late?

Like Formatsreef, yes we want the corals to live but she's done a good job about how to set up a "soft cycle". So no worries. Basically keep water quality up (we all know the basics), watch feeding, and filteration. Just as long as she keeps up with just that she will be A, ok. :happy:

FWIW I've transfered and moved my tanks twice and always just let things settle for about 12-24 hours (checking params first of course) and then dumping everything back in and NEVER had an issue. I've done this 3 times and so far I'm 3 for 0. If you're doing a complete transfer then you shouldn't have to worry about even a mini cycle as long as you keep everything submerged fully, especially the rocks. I'd definitely wait a few weeks if using new rocks or sand or something. But even when buying fully cured AND cycled rock from an LFS, putting it in my tank and adding my livestock back 12 hours later, I didn't have a single loss. Lucky maybe, but you gotta know what you're doing too. ;)

This is mainly directed at the haters that are ragging on Babyham.

FWIW I've transfered and moved my tanks twice and always just let things settle for about 12-24 hours (checking params first of course) and then dumping everything back in and NEVER had an issue. I've done this 3 times and so far I'm 3 for 0. If you're doing a complete transfer then you shouldn't have to worry about even a mini cycle as long as you keep everything submerged fully, especially the rocks. I'd definitely wait a few weeks if using new rocks or sand or something. But even when buying fully cured AND cycled rock from an LFS, putting it in my tank and adding my livestock back 12 hours later, I didn't have a single loss. Lucky maybe, but you gotta know what you're doing too. ;)

This is mainly directed at the haters that are ragging on Babyham.

apples & oranges. breaking down, moving, and setting a tank back up is not quite the same as setting up a completely new system. i too have successfully moved my tank, although it was a huge PITA, i didn't lose anything either.

i could be wrong, but is this not a new set up, and not simply a transfered tank? and no, just because you have cured lr from another system it doesn't qualify the tank as not being new.

Damn the haters. Her tank is nicely stocked. Her water parameters are in check. Nothing is dead. Yes, it's a new tank. Why all the drama? I don't understand. It's almost as though just because the tank is new... and she didn't wait the typical written-in-blood and word-of-God time frame of a month or two... people are almost hoping, wishing and begging for the tank to crash. I don't get it.

It's fine by me if some of you seem to be fixated on the concept of a "new system" not being established just because a tank is new. We can agree to disagree on our interpretation of what an established system really is, be it the system being just the live rock and sand as a whole (not including water because water isn't what cycles), or the plastic, glass and carbonated material that encases the livestock within.

If you feel it's the latter than sure, it's not an establshed tank, but my interpretation along with many others would see it fit to say that the tank is established for reasons I won't repeat again.

If you want to stick to your fixation, because you're too scared, or even stupid, to think for yourself by not being able to evaluate what the "rules" are, and being able to interpreting them yourself and make it work, then that's not my fault. Our Reef Hall of Famer's had to make this "rule of thumb" so that nobody had to think in this hobby with the advancement of technology and after years and years of incidents and mishaps, this "rule of thumb" just became a rule and was never stressed on more. "It's just easier if we tell everyone the same ###### so maybe there's no margin of error"

Well, I'm pretty educated myself, and in a lot more ways than just having common sense, and there is a margin of error, and I did take precautions to cover my ass if there was to be any error.

New York has a backbone of numerous local reefers and my intent HERE is for distant members to enjoy in my adventure. My research and information here isn't tampered and I sure as hell know what I'm doing :). Lights are out, time to go to work and pretending i'm working while I read this, soon to be flame war, of a thread.

Regards,

"Princess"

Setting the whole established tank crap aside, I'm wondering how the LEDs are doing with keeping and enhancing the colors of the SPS. Have you noticed any differences or changes? I'm just wondering since I've always been curious about the lighting that comes with these tanks. I think several people have asked in the past.

I see that you are taking all comments and suggestions with a grain of salt and I also see that you are intelligent so take this for whatever its worth to you. I was talking to this months TOTM owner, who is a local and good friend, and she was telling me that she is kind of sad that she has gotten her tank to a point where she has little room for new corals, she has all the equipment she needs, and things are on autopilot. We both agreed that half the fun of this hobby is setting things up, watching all of the small changes in our little slices of the reef, longing and wanting new things, and just taking it slow.

Building a reef tank is a journey and not a race...I hope that you take the time to enjoy all of the small steps along the way.

I look forward to some more pictures of your slice of the reef.

Well, I'm pretty educated myself, and in a lot more ways than just having common sense, and there is a margin of error, and I did take precautions to cover my ass if there was to be any error.

Regards,

"Princess"

You may be, but you clearly lack both education and common sense as far as this hobby is concerned. Some of us here have been in this hobby for upwards of a decade (some longer), and the advice we give is due to us making the exact same mistakes you're making right now. If you can't see that all the advice given is in your best interest, then so be it. With the attitude you've taken, you won't receive much advice at all. I'm sure my advice will fall on deaf ears, but I'll give it anyway.

Using established rock from another tank is a great way to shorten the initial cycle in yours, but stocking it with corals (SPS especially) and fish within a week is a recipe for disaster. Your tank needs time to stabilize, especially pH and calcium, and SPS do not do well with fluctuations in either. You've broken the golden rule of reefkeeping, and at some point you will certainly pay the consequences for it, though I'm sure you'll find a scape goat for why your corals are all of a sudden dieing and your fish have ich.

And for the record, 6 hours out of water is plenty of time to kill off a significant portion of life.

Setting the whole established tank crap aside, I'm wondering how the LEDs are doing with keeping and enhancing the colors of the SPS. Have you noticed any differences or changes? I'm just wondering since I've always been curious about the lighting that comes with these tanks. I think several people have asked in the past.

I see that you are taking all comments and suggestions with a grain of salt and I also see that you are intelligent so take this for whatever its worth to you. I was talking to this months TOTM owner, who is a local and good friend, and she was telling me that she is kind of sad that she has gotten her tank to a point where she has little room for new corals, she has all the equipment she needs, and things are on autopilot. We both agreed that half the fun of this hobby is setting things up, watching all of the small changes in our little slices of the reef, longing and wanting new things, and just taking it slow.

Building a reef tank is a journey and not a race...I hope that you take the time to enjoy all of the small steps along the way.

I look forward to some more pictures of your slice of the reef.

Karen has a wonderful tank and I haven't had the chance to tell her how beautiful it really is (if this is who you are referring to ;)) and thank you for the kind words

The LEDs are definitely holding it's end up. A little on the whiter side so I was looking for possible actinics that can blue it up a bit but it just gets washed out. I'll post some pics tonight when I get home, last I saw they were all thriving. The rosco seemed to blue up a lot more and the "bottlebrush" that someone pointed out not being a bottlebrush may be right, it has brownish/purple body with yellow polyps that have also brightened up a lot as well. Will post pics tonight. The two montis are really looking good as well.

HTH

You've broken the golden rule of reefkeeping, and at some point you will certainly pay the consequences for it, though I'm sure you'll find a scape goat for why your corals are all of a sudden dieing and your fish have ich.

You demonstrate the perfect example of how everyone here has conveyed their "advice" by adding some truth to it while attaching some sort of degrading comment. Comments like this deserve no attention which is why my "attitude" may come off as childish

Thanks for stopping by.

You demonstrate the perfect example of how everyone here has conveyed their "advice" by adding some truth to it while attaching some sort of degrading comment. Comments like this deserve no attention which is why my "attitude" may come off as childish

Thanks for stopping by.

Your attitude is childish. If you want to be spoken to like an adult, act like one. If you only take advice that parallels what you plan to do anyway, you'll end up learning how to be successful at this hobby the hard way.

If you want to bend or break the general rules of reefkeeping, by all means, go for it. Most of the general rules are crap anyway (lbs per gallon, watts per gallon, 1" of fish per 5 gallons, etc), but you need to fully comprehend why the rules were made before you can go and attempt to break them. Patience is the #1 rule to this hobby, and breaking it always leads to bad things.

Anyway, good luck, I hope they do well. I'd hate to see what looks like $400 worth of corals die because of negligence.

Archived