Cultivated Reef

Her Elos Mini with Aquaillumination LED Module

Babyham6

thats aptasia. i think. try aptasia-x by red sea.

buch ov vids on aptasia and stuff. watch the first one. dont bother with the rest if yu dont wana
  • Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh. Don't. They come and go. Keep good water parameters and they die out by their own. They are not photosynthetic (from what I have been able to find). Aptasia filter feed.

I had tons of aptasia (look at the pic... that was only the front side... I literally had like 30 on that piece but notice the nice blastomussa colony and GSP mat... $5!!) on 1 piece of live rock. I tried all the home-brew methods (lemon juice, kalk, etc...) but nothing really worked. I honestly just left it alone for a month and they didn't spread at all really... Eventually I got a peppermint shrimp and he took care of them in about 3 weeks or so except for the 2 or 3 really big ones... He eventually got those too though. Don't panic...

post-39800-1234845933_thumb.jpg

we should have an ELOS-owner club.

Btw, I never have to mod my overflow with a cut out credit card, I think u just have to dial ur pump to the minimum (or at the right flow) it will stop the noise)

As for the micro bubbles, I think it is caused by the pump, just take the pump apart under water and reassembly them back together. it will help

(m not good at spellin tonite)

The more I look at it, the more I think it's not Aiptasia. It definitely looks like some sort of anemone. It has those thin-like tentacles, but the "rod" or body of it never extends upwards like an aiptasia. It's definitely probably something bad though. It doesn't move from it's location either, and if I were to take a syring and blow water on it, it would close up slowly. Similar to a polyp.

Hope that helps... I think I'm just in denial. :(

So I went to the LFS this morning with my water sample and waited for the test results. They pulled nitrates out as well with their LaMotte (?) test kits to get a reading of nitrates at 5+. I ended up buying Calcium and Mg test kits as well as a cheap LED light for the sump.

I planned on doing a water change this weekend so I picked up some RO/DI water from them that they sell at .50 cents a gallon. They ended up putting it in a Reef Crystals tub :eek:.

So we drive it home, and I open it up and I see a floating bag in there! I'm like wth? and when I open it, it's a small piece of rock with what looks like zoanthids!!! But they were closed up so I coudl't tell what color they were or even if they were zoanthids. I put them in the tank and they opened up!

I promised an FTS of my aquascape and well.. here it is, sorry for hte delay.

DSC_0689.jpg

DSC_0690.jpg

DSC_0691.jpg

DSC_0694.jpg

DSC_0695.jpg

A picture of my first ever freebie!

DSC_0692.jpg

EDIT: Little update on the aiptasia or whatever it is, but I was told to cover it up in crazy glue and let it solidify, and then take a knife and pick it off, so I went ahead and did that and it came off in one piece! It was kind of nasty but I hope I don't see it ever again!

Looking good! I am so jealous. That's pretty rad that they threw in a freebie. I am still waiting on my CADLIGHTS tank. It should be here tomorrow though!

EDIT: It actually looks like there are two different kinds of Zoo's. Good stuff!

-Carl

Btw,you can also go on the natural way instead of adding glue (you don't know what kind of unhealthy stuff is in crazy glue),when the little tank is ready for it's first inhabitants get a Peppermint Shrimp ( Lysmata wurdemanni).They eat Aipthasia.

Btw,you can also go on the natural way instead of adding glue (you don't know what kind of unhealthy stuff is in crazy glue),when the little tank is ready for it's first inhabitants get a Peppermint Shrimp ( Lysmata wurdemanni).They eat Aipthasia.

I've heard many people use the gel kind to glue their frags because they cure underwater pretty fast. I can't imagine it being harmful. I don't like the way Peppermints look. They remind me too much of the shrimp we eat ;) . Poor things, they taste delicious.

Went to the LFS today to pick up an ATO from JBJ for 100 bucks. Wasn't working out as it's a bit big. Looking for something that is space conserving.

Does anyone have any good ones to recommend?

p://www.autotopoff.com/

Does this ATO require a pump? I can't seem to find the logistics of it, or even come to figure it out...

Edit: Nvm, found it :) Thanks for the link.

Hellolights.com (sponsor) has the JBJ ATO for $80 I'll be picking that up soon... adding 1 gallon of water every 12 hours is becoming annoying.

EDIT: LOL just re-read your post. Sorry... Yeah autotopoff.com looks pretty good also. You can order them from ebay if you wish to play safe on the payment side.

Peppermints are hit or miss! I have one in my tank, and never saw it touch one aiptasia. The only real natural way to get rid of aiptasia is berghia nudis, they wil go in any crack or crevice to get to them. Your tank wasn't ready and that's why I didn't recommend them to you.

The more I look at it, the more I think it's not Aiptasia. It definitely looks like some sort of anemone. It has those thin-like tentacles, but the "rod" or body of it never extends upwards like an aiptasia. It's definitely probably something bad though. It doesn't move from it's location either, and if I were to take a syring and blow water on it, it would close up slowly. Similar to a polyp.

Hope that helps... I think I'm just in denial. :(

atasia is a type of anemone its a glass anemone

and sick hitch hiker! wana send me a frag?

Peppermints are hit or miss! I have one in my tank, and never saw it touch one aiptasia. The only real natural way to get rid of aiptasia is berghia nudis, they wil go in any crack or crevice to get to them. Your tank wasn't ready and that's why I didn't recommend them to you.

Ah, I see. Well hopefully it's gone forever. Basser, you're tank is gorgeous btw, I love your blue spot which is why I want one myself. Such an inspiring tank of the month :)

Looks like you got yourself some free Orange Organisms. I have some of these and they are beautiful!

So many names. The dude at the FTS called them bam bams. I like em anyway. There's another small patch of zoos that didn't open up until recently either. I put a payment down on a frogspawn and a hammer as well because they were part of their $25 corals where randomly they will put a coral for 25$ when there are 3 or 4 others of the same coral going for $50+! Hope to take them home this weekend.

Here's antoher pic of the zoos

DSC_0696.jpg

atasia is a type of anemone its a glass anemone

and sick hitch hiker! wana send me a frag?

You want a frag of the anemone? lol - it went down my sink :P

I've heard many people use the gel kind to glue their frags because they cure underwater pretty fast. I can't imagine it being harmful. I don't like the way Peppermints look. They remind me too much of the shrimp we eat ;) . Poor things, they taste delicious.

I have a rule i applied to myself,if it's not made for what you are gonna use it for i ain't trying it.Just like using knifes to tighting a screw.

I have a rule i applied to myself,if it's not made for what you are gonna use it for i ain't trying it.Just like using knifes to tighting a screw.

haha, we used a knife to tighten the screw of our elos cabinet.. go figure !!

Ah, I see. Well hopefully it's gone forever. Basser, you're tank is gorgeous btw, I love your blue spot which is why I want one myself. Such an inspiring tank of the month :)

So many names. The dude at the FTS called them bam bams. I like em anyway. There's another small patch of zoos that didn't open up until recently either. I put a payment down on a frogspawn and a hammer as well because they were part of their $25 corals where randomly they will put a coral for 25$ when there are 3 or 4 others of the same coral going for $50+! Hope to take them home this weekend.

Here's antoher pic of the zoos

DSC_0696.jpg

You want a frag of the anemone? lol - it went down my sink :P

no the zoa's o wate you bought them LMAO

Archived