SaltCritters.com

NRF's MAXeffort- now powered by nanobox :)

Needreefunds

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice job on the mod buddy.Let me know how it works

Thanks bud. I bought a used filter from Lawman thinking the pump was the same as my 9002. Wanting a spare for that and also needing a Tunze magnet for another DIY idea I bought it. Unfortunately the pump is wrong for my skimmer- this is the newer pump - it did give me the opportunity to try this DIY. Had this idea for some time now. I cannot believe I had everything on hand. The moon and stars all must be aligned for that to happen, but it did. :P

Test ran it for a couple hours in the bucket to adjust the flow rate. Installed it and it JUST fits back there with my inTank rack, Tunze 9002, ATO switches ( now with Tunze magnet lol ) and my new mini reactor.

fingerscrossed

• 10 months later...
NRF, the top of the reactor is connected to tubing? Where does the tubing end up?

Sorry kat- I just saw this notification...

Yes it was- and I just dumped it back into the center section- ( skimmer and chaeto cage )

I ran this for a time- but eventually removed it as it was VERY high maintenance, becoming clogged quite frequently. I have other ideas for an improved version- but have yet to find the time to play. -_-

HTH

--Richie

Hi Richie, you have a fuge in the middle section?! What page is that detailed on your thread?

Actually I just made an eggcrate basket- hinged the lid with a couple tie wraps and added two submersible lamps to grow some chaeto- it fits nicely in the bottom of the middle chamber- below the skimmer and ATO switches and such. A bit tricky to get in there-must remove skimmer ( bummer) but not too bad as I only need to remove it once a month or so.

Thanks. I'm still going to try to make the reactor, and use a sponge to make sure it doesn't clog. Where did you put it in the RSM?

I run the inTank media rack and Tunze skimmer. Once you get rid of the huge stock skimmer it frees up space to play with fuges, reactors and such. For all its size, the stock skimmer did not perform near as well as the Tunze IME.

Nice, I can truly appreciate how high the scape is

Thanks kat- it was actually a good 3-4" higher until a recent (accidental ) re-scaping... <_<

That orange monti was growing very flat- now we can see it seems to be "reaching" up for additional light.

What a difference a couple inches can make, huh?

I just noticed I took this shot while the surface skimmer was getting a vinegar soak :rolleyes:

How much noise does your RSM make? I am thinking of getting one and putting the skimmer on a timer so it does not operate during my normal TV watching hours. Are the fans, pump, and general water movement pretty quiet?

Wow looks awesome buddy!so much growth....

Thanks E! This tank makes me happy. :happy:

How much noise does your RSM make? I am thinking of getting one and putting the skimmer on a timer so it does not operate during my normal TV watching hours. Are the fans, pump, and general water movement pretty quiet?

In its stock form I recall a mild hum from the skimmer. The Tunze skimmer I find very quiet.

The Vortec pump can be fickle and somewhat noisy every now and then, as are the stock pumps- but a cleaning and / or repositioning takes care of that. All that said, when well maintained, a rather quiet setup in my opinion. This tank is in my TV room- about a foot from my head when in it's usual position ( tilted back in the lay-z-boy ;):P )

If not using vortech, which circulation pump and power would you suggest?

Initially I ran the stock pumps along with the typical Hydor pump ala StevieT and all seemed quite happy.

When I had the means to upgrade to the Vortech I did it more for the small footprint / less heat rather than added flow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Needreefunds

Somebody should really update this thread. <_<

OK- Picture-less update. Not long after that last pic- I service the tank- changed all the media- Chemipure etc. In the next few days I lost most of my prized LPS. :unsure::(

The tank seems to have stabilized- I did nothing to it other than checking params- which showed me nothing ( as usual ).

I will do a 5 gallon WC this weekend and hope for the best. :mellow:

SPS are still doing well.

Pictures after I clean the glass- as I said I have left the tank alone to heal- the glass is...well...not all that clear to say the least. -_-

Archived