ReefCleaners.org

NRF's MAXeffort- now powered by nanobox :)

Needreefunds

Needreefunds
I suppose if you are second guessing your diligence in creating the wall, no. If you think that the trouble is the eggcrate then yes. After a while the phosphates on the "outside" of the plastic will be used up. Or so I have read. I think Fosi did some research on this if I am not mistaken. Anyway, I have been dosing vodka, Brightwells Amino acid and Prodicbio nano pack for about 1.5 years now. I cannot grow algae in my tank. Have tried a few macros.........................................oh NVM! th_SmileymitLaptop.gif

:haha: :haha:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Needreefunds

Well, I started filling as tub tonight.

but...

I also did some reading. Thanks Henry. lol

I am curious to see if carbon dosing would turn this tank around. Zeo was another thought, but the need for a reactor and limited space kind of kills that.

Vodka just seems a better fit for this tank.

I'll read more and think about it more as well. :)

Is anyone else curious to see what would happen here? :huh::P

Deleted User 6

vodka might work. but i'd probably ditch the wall before i did that honestly.

might just be time for a restart. but of course, it's your call.

You got a month or two to mess with it? I think in that time with the dosing you would start to see some results. If you don't then forget it and go the tear down route. JMO.

Needreefunds
vodka might work. but i'd probably ditch the wall before i did that honestly.

might just be time for a restart. but of course, it's your call.

You got a month or two to mess with it? I think in that time with the dosing you would start to see some results. If you don't then forget it and go the tear down route. JMO.

While I am interested to see if vodka dosing would eventually turn this around...

I think I am removing the wall, not so much for lack of patience, but fear. Fear that it will not work and I will be stuck trying to do a restart during the cold months- more difficult for cleaning tanks etc.

I also think I will attempt vodka dosing after the restart and allowing some time to settle in.

I do appreciate the thoughts guys. :)

Richie, having made a rock wall in an Aquapod. I think the wall and eggcrate is the problem. I found the same issues. I didnt seal around the wall either to make sure no debris could get behind it. Plus the white eggcrate didnt help Im sure.

Deleted User 6

I did the same thing with my 9g. While I didn't have horrific algae problems, I def. went through too many GHA and other algae phases in a 1 year period. I think if I ever go the rock wall route again (which I probably won't), then I'll do it very differently.

Needreefunds

Den is a mess.

Two tubs running with live rock, rescued coral frags and the remaining critters.

Buckets of removed water-- saved for scrubbing the rock in before retuning to the tank.

Wet towels, newspaper and reefer laying around - don't get any ideas- I'M the reefer ;)

Once again I wait on my slow-as-chit RODI and once again I did not have enough prepared ahead of time. Having to set up a second tub sort of screwed me up. I need to procure about 20g of RODI to get this tank up and running. I'd like to let it run a day ( at least ) before returning critters.

I have had many casualties. Coral did NOT want to come off of that wall easily. Just found an emerald crab under my lay-z-boy. He must have jumped from the rock as I transferred it and I never saw him jump. I knew he was on the rock when I removed him. My cleaner shrimp disappeared- not a sign anywhere, very strange. Fugly 2 was found dead at the back of the tank. The detritus that had accumulated at the base of the wall and behind it amazed me. It looks like a small barrier was created by critter activity-stripping the wall of its sand covering and built up this area that flow could not reach, yet the fines could filter down through from above. I never would have seen this happening in a million years lol.

Everything was removed. The sad remains of my once proud wall rest in a garbage can. I rinsed the tank several times. Rinsed 30lbs of new sand and that is where we stand ( or sit right now lol )

Waiting on RODI. drip...drip...drip... :(

:wacko:

Needreefunds
drip....drip...drip...beer :P

sounds like a busy sunday for ya Richie :wacko:

drip...drip...drip...glug...glug...glug...*burp* :o:blush: 'scuse me folks! -_-

:P

Wow buddy this turned into quite a project :o but it needed to be done so we can get the red sea max to its full potential B)

Yes it did, but agree 100%.

No regrets other than waiting a bit too long to make a decision.

oh, and not making enough spare RODI ahead of time. :happy:

:lol:

Needreefunds
Why don't ya just buy some water? A lot faster. Well happy drip drip dripping to ya LOL

Actually I did lol :lol:

Tank has been running for a few hours now. :happydance:

Just tank and sand- don't get too excited. :happy:

Needreefunds
Aww! what a tease haha

we likey cloudy tank pix too :P

:P Sowwy... Henry is going to send the villagers afta me!! :oomgomgomg

Tank looked pretty clear this morning, but had no time to play. I will check params tonight and possibly add some rock. We'll see. :)

Needreefunds

Ya wanted cloudy pichers - ya gets cloudy pichers.

NRF's MAX effort part duex

011-13.jpg

012-14.jpg

Still have a bunch of frags in the tubs, but I thought that was enough for tonight.

I'll give these a day to settle in and resume tomorrow after work.

Some stuff is just sitting in the sand for now, but this is about all I can do with the scape. It's hard enough to aqua scape with naked LR- much more difficult when mini colonies have encrusted. It really limits the options.

I am already thinking about swapping the toady and the green trumpets lol. The toady may look cool in the right rear corner.

I am plum tuckered out peeps. :D

Yipee for cloudy pics !!!!! Yeah put the toad over there but behind on a rock. raise it up a little bit I did that with mine in the 75. It was a little high but I lowered it and now it;s just right. :D

Archived