ReefCleaners.org

Marinebiologists 12g Nano Cube

marinebiologist

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The switch from PC to MH is pretty drastic. Can you raise the light 6-8 inches higher than your desired height? If not find METAL mesh; like window screen, and place that on the top of your tank. After a couple of days you can remove it. Or lower the light every few days.

To be honest though if my readings where correct you only have 1 coral. So I would set the light how you want and let the coral adjust on its own. A polyp should be fine. It might close for a day. Great tank thread by the way. I refer to you when people ask if saltwater, and especially reef keeping, is hard to do. I just say look a 13yr old can do it, so can you. Then again some people just can't.

Oh and the comment thing you been mentioning... I find I post more on people's threads if they have lots of pictures or ask questions. Otherwise I just read and move on. I like reading peoples threads, Just because people do not comment does not mean anything. Just look at your total views to see just how many people have actually clicked your thread.

I only have 102 ish replies to my thread but over 4000 people have viewed it. I don't ask many questions anymore as I just create a thread in the proper section. I leave my tank thread as more of a personal log. and it is great to refer to when I'm out and about and people I know want to know what is going on with the tank.

Lastly, I have a writing problem. I write too much. I apologize for making you read all this. When I was your age I absolutely hated reading, and especially writing. Now in my last year of college I write 10 page reports weekly and does not bother me. (GOOGLE books FTW)

P.S. Now that I look at this, I am pretty sure this is the longest post on your thread, Congrats!!!.... to me!!!

marinebiologist

thanks for the nice comments and advice. the polyps actually opened up right away :D . And just to let you know i like huge posts and i like to here what people have to say. :happy:

marinebiologist

heres some pics of the tank with the light.And i just looked at Topic has lgreen's Ultimate Guide To Nano Fish and it said falco hawkfish for 10 gallons. :)

nanocube125.jpg?t=1235013020

the glass is a little dirty on this pic

nanocube122.jpg?t=1235013051

one of the hawkfish :D

nanocube120.jpg?t=1235013124

Light looks great. Just watch your temperatures and evaporation rate for a couple of days. They will change now that you have a MH light.

Also be aware that your bulb will change hues a little bit until you have about 100 hours burn time on the bulb. Then the true colors will be set in for the rest of the bulb life. Speaking of bulb life. People say 1 year change them. Before you do. Read this article.

Granted that the article only talks about certain bulbs I imagine most of the data can be applied to similar reef orientated bulbs.

Lastly 6-12 months down the road you might get another color shift. When this happened on my 150watt sunpod stock bulb I had a algae growth. With the better quality bulbs though this rarely if ever happen.

marinebiologist

thanks for the article that helped me a lot. :)

i dont know what im going to do about the temp tomorrow because i have school all day and then a writing test after school. lets hope the temp doesnt get messed up. fingerscrossed

heres some pics of the tank with the light.And i just looked at Topic has lgreen's Ultimate Guide To Nano Fish and it said falco hawkfish for 10 gallons. :)

I give up. Obviously you're going to do what you want.

Min. 20 gallon

And when lgreen says minimum, that's what it means minimum. You'll fit in a closet, does that mean you'd like to live in one?

Sorry, but your attitude on this bugs me.

God I wish people didn't refer to lgreens "guide" like a bible.

Its a random forum members ideas of how to stock a nano.. not a book about nanos fenner has been writting the 10 years with personal information/experiements/documentation of all things.

I could write a guide and get it sticked, don't mean its right.

i used putty before and it worked half assed since i cured it under water, my advice is to do it dry if you can just for a longer lasting stick

marinebiologist

today was the first day running the metal halide and the temp has been pretty stable,around 76.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

Archived