ReefCleaners.org

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

just searched through all the pages and there was only one post about it and it doesnt talk about in great detail at all just a sentence. I saw a tank with the mod and emailed the owner but have not gottne a reply about it.

How is the build going? Any pictures? :)

Well, the glue worked on one side of the rack but not so much on the other. The egg crate has slightly angled sides so I couldnt get the glue to make contact very well. I improvised and used zip ties to hold it together. I plan on using the existing drip tray on top. Ive had multiple delays starting the tank, hopefully, will actually get it going tonight.

post-53671-1277824806_thumb.jpg

Edited by Krazy_Karl
just searched through all the pages and there was only one post about it and it doesnt talk about in great detail at all just a sentence. I saw a tank with the mod and emailed the owner but have not gottne a reply about it.

Cool beans. Hopefully he will respond back. I'd be interested in hearing how it worked. Might kive it a try myself. :)

Well, the glue worked on one side of the rack but not so much on the other. The egg crate has slightly angled sides so I couldnt get the glue to make contact very well. I improvised and used zip ties to hold it together. I plan on using the existing drip tray on top. Ive had multiple delays starting the tank, hopefully, will actually get it going tonight.

LOL, it sounds like so many of my other projects, multiple delays. Keep us posted as you progress. What type of glue did you use? I wonder if weld-on would work on egg crate.....

• Like 1
Krazy_Karl
LOL, it sounds like so many of my other projects, multiple delays. Keep us posted as you progress. What type of glue did you use? I wonder if weld-on would work on egg crate.....

I used the LocTite brand plastic bonding glue I posted a link for a few posts back. It actually works well with the zip ties, I'm not worried about the way it looks right now.

So as you may have noticed i have yet to set the tank up, delay after delay. It has given me more time to research , which probably isnt a bad thing. My question is, since I will be setting the tank up this saturday (fingers crossed), what do I need to have for filter media? I have seen people use many things from Purigen to Chemi-Pure. I plan on using the cheato in the fuge, but other than that what is recommended for a cycling tank? I assume carbon should be placed in there since I am not going to use the filter cartridge, instead going with the filter fiber. How much should be placed in a a tank this size? Does brand matter?

Thanks in advance.

I used the LocTite brand plastic bonding glue I posted a link for a few posts back. It actually works well with the zip ties, I'm not worried about the way it looks right now.

So as you may have noticed i have yet to set the tank up, delay after delay. It has given me more time to research , which probably isnt a bad thing. My question is, since I will be setting the tank up this saturday (fingers crossed), what do I need to have for filter media? I have seen people use many things from Purigen to Chemi-Pure. I plan on using the cheato in the fuge, but other than that what is recommended for a cycling tank? I assume carbon should be placed in there since I am not going to use the filter cartridge, instead going with the filter fiber. How much should be placed in a a tank this size? Does brand matter?

Thanks in advance.

Actually, I would hold off on using any filter media other than maybe some filter floss on chamber 2. I'd get the sand and rock set up, add salt water, toss in a raw deli shrimp, and let it run for 1-2 months and let the tank cycle. Check the filter floss every other day and replace it with a new piece as needed. I would add the filter media and cheato as you introduce live stock to the tank. In my BC 14 I only use filter floss as a mechanical filter. If something happens I'll toss in some chem-pure as a chemical filter. As far as brands go I think both are good products, its probably more of a personal choice. HTH :)

Does the guide have a section for advantages/disadvantages over using a protein skimmer versus fuge for the biocube 29? Things like heat, over skimming, PITA maintenance, etc.?

I'm really trying to decide between the two and it would be helpful. Either I'm going for media basket/fuge or media basket/tunze skimmer.

I posted a question with some other things if anyone could reply. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=241589

Does the guide have a section for advantages/disadvantages over using a protein skimmer versus fuge for the biocube 29? Things like heat, over skimming, PITA maintenance, etc.?

I'm really trying to decide between the two and it would be helpful. Either I'm going for media basket/fuge or media basket/tunze skimmer.

I posted a question with some other things if anyone could reply. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=241589

Why not run all 3? You can run the mediabasket/fuge combo in Chamber 2 and run the Skimmer in 1. That's basically what I'm doing... See my guide on installing the AquaticLife 115 Mini Skimmer in Chamber 1.

• Like 1
floridian reefer
Why not run all 3? You can run the mediabasket/fuge combo in Chamber 2 and run the Skimmer in 1. That's basically what I'm doing... See my guide on installing the AquaticLife 115 Mini Skimmer in Chamber 1.

where can i find your guide?

Anyone seperated the lockline nozzle that allows water to come out to the display? Im wanting to create an elbow so on one side I can put a hydor wave and extend the other side to go to the middle of the tank and have the flow point towards the front of the tank. Has anyone done this and if you have what did you think about it? Im looking to see what parts I would need to do this. Thanks in advance for the suggestions. All responses welcome!!!

any luck yet?

Meengineer0128

How do you get your page added to the resource guide??? I've done a lot of mods and would like to be added if possible.

How do you get your page added to the resource guide??? I've done a lot of mods and would like to be added if possible.

I PM'd uwwmatt.

netrunner2250

Heya! New to the forums and love this thread, finding a ton of info here, thanks!!

Just bought my first BC14 and had a question on the initial setup/cycle. I just ordered the new Media Basket, Chem-Pure, Purigen, Filter floss, etc but looks like it's going to take another week before it arrives.

I'm wondering if I need to wait the week out before setting up the tank with these new additions, or can I just remove the stock filter & bioballs and start the tank cycling now and then add the new media during or after the cycle is finished?

chrssprngs
Heya! New to the forums and love this thread, finding a ton of info here, thanks!!

Just bought my first BC14 and had a question on the initial setup/cycle. I just ordered the new Media Basket, Chem-Pure, Purigen, Filter floss, etc but looks like it's going to take another week before it arrives.

I'm wondering if I need to wait the week out before setting up the tank with these new additions, or can I just remove the stock filter & bioballs and start the tank cycling now and then add the new media during or after the cycle is finished?

Start it now. I wouldn't run carbon, Purigen or the Chem-Pure until after the tank is cycled.

navyman_3703

what else can be used for blocking off the lower intake to help with skimming? maybe a strong waterproof tape? also, what else can be done cheaply to increase flow?

+1 on koriala, Maxi 900, filter floss.

Remove elbow from back of bulkhead and connect pump directly to it with little larger tubing. Increases flow.

I saw a decrease in phosphate after adding a fuge to the middle chamber and filled with cheato. Lit from the back with Wal-mart CF bulb in a 4gang switch box (another reefer has a build in forums)

Media Rack - I have a poor homemade one, buy StevieT's Allows running of choice of chemical filtration, easy use of floss and to run a fuge if so desired.

Block off 3-4 grates of lower intake. Either with black silicone before adding water or with clear hard plastic after the fact (like from a cassette case or cd case) Aides in surface skimming. Was getting green film on top of water prior to this mod and the next

Block off 3-4 grates of the upper intake. Same effect as above.

Fill chamber 2 and 3 nearly full, reduces likelyhood of micro bubbles and keeps fuge full if have one.

I have the hydor and like it. Have to put teflon tape or superglue on the fitting or will blow off every so often. Also, if have fuge, little pieces of cheato get caught in it maybe every other day. Easy fix, just annoying.

Cut out the overflow from Chamber1 into 2 so that it is the full width. Increases flow and prevents water "backing up" in chamber 1 if running filter floss in 2 and chemical media.

Remove bioballs, sponge and factory filter pad. Throw in trash......nitrate factories and expensive upkeep on the pads. Use filter floss instead. Buy a huge bag at wal-mart for next to nothing (make sure it is pure polyester filling, no additives like fire-retard) and will last for months.

Optional - Buy a HOT magnum filter for WCs. Turn off pumps and koralia. Use HOT filter and turkey baster to clean rocks and sand. The HOT filter sucks it up and polishes the water as well.

Thats all I can think of for now

what is chemi-pure and what does it do? can i put it down ther if i keep the bioballs?

111111.jpg

This guide is a work in progress. If you have a question that has not been discussed, or any helpful information to add please post it in this thread and it will be added to the resource guide.

Table of Contents:

Featured Articles:

-Biocube Lighting

-Biocube Filtration

Biocube Information:

-Biocube FAQ (scroll down)

-UWWMatt's Mod Review

-Biocube Signature Badges

-Member's Biocubes

-Helpful Links

-Manufacturer's Product Information

DIY

-nckwrn's Cold Cathode Moonlights

-Uwwmatt's Fuge Light

-Removing the Tab (increased flow into back chambers)

-Badbread's above tank sump

-Adkins.its's Rimless Biocube

-Firefish CR's Fan Upgrade

-EvoKnvl's Aquatic Life skimmer Guide for 29G BC

-Spanko's Mess Top for open Biocubes

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2863313

-Spanko's Media holder http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2695043

-Benoitcdc's fish guard http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry2662104

-Gromit's Bio-Cube 8 Stock Fan Replacement Guide

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2869838

BIOCUBE FAQ:

Ask question in this thread and other will gladly help answer them. Here are a list of some frequently asked questions. This will be updated as more questions come up.

• How many fish can I keep in my Biocube?
    According to the
Nano Stocking Guide
8G Biocube: 1-2 fish
14G Biocube: 2-3 fish
29G Biocube: 4-6 fish

Each fish has its own special requirements and many are unsuitable for any biocube. Be responsible and do your research before you buy a new fish!

Keep in mind that the more fish you have the more waste that will build up in your tank requiring more water changes and the addition of a skimmer. If your water quality is poor then your fish and corals will become stressed, get sick, and eventually die.

Can I keep Tang in my biocube?
NO...It doesn't matter what size biocube you have, or that the Tang is small. The answer is NO.

Can I keep clams in my biocube?
No, unless you upgrade your lighting to t5 or metal halides. Clam FAQ

Can I keep anemones in my biocube?
No, unless you upgrade your lighting to t5 or metal halides and have a well established tank.
Anemone FAQ, More Anemone FAQ

Do I need to remove the sponges?
Many biocube owners remove the sponges that come in a stock system because over time they build up and trap detritus that will cause your nitrates to rise. The benefit to keeping them is that they filter out large things that may otherwise get sucked up into your pump. If you do decide to keep them it is a good idea to rinse them out every week and replace them every 3-4 weeks.

Why won't one of my lights turn on?
For a while biocubes where being shipped with faulty ballasts. It is easy to test and see if this is your problem. Simply switch your ballasts and if the light works that is your problem.

If it is the ballast then you have a couple of options. First you should contact Oceanic. They are usually very good at replacing these, no questions asked. It does take a couple weeks to process and ship your order but at least it is free. The other option is to purchase them from other aquarium websites 8 14 29.

Why are my fans so noisy? or Why don't my fans work?
Like the ballast, some biocubes shipped with faulty fans. Oceanic will happily replace them for you, but this can take several weeks.

The 8 and 14 gallon Biocubes use 50mm fans that are 10mm thick, while the 29 gallon is 60mm by 10 mm. If you are willing to shop around you can usually find some good deals on computer fans that will work with a little wiring. There are also upgrade kits 8 and 14 29

How do I contact the manufacturer?
Call from 8:30 am - 4:00 pm (CST) at:
888.255.4527 or 414.421.9670

Why are my nitrates so high?
Nitrates raise as waste (detritus) builds up in your system. There are several causes and solutions to this problem. I will list them in their likely hood to be your problem.

- Overfeeding
- Overstocked tank
- Low Flow
- Dirty Filter Media (sponges/rear chambers/bioballs/filter floss)
- Insufficient Cleanup Crew

Quick Fix: Cut your feeding down to every 2-3 days. If you have bioballs* and sponges rinse them out in the discarded tank water. If you use chamber 2 as a fuge, rinse the chaeto out in discarded tank water. Use a turkey baster and blast both the rocks and the rear chambers of your biocube daily. This will cause the detritus to become suspend in the water column and then your filter floss (Highly recommended) will collect it. Replace filter floss every 2-3 days.

*be gentle and do not rinse out all of the bioballs at once. The manufacturer does not recommend doing this, but many members have found this to be an acceptable practice.

Why do people remove the bioballs?
Some people choose to remove bioballs because over time the nitrifying bacteria become so good at their job that they quickly raise the nitrate levels too high. Bioballs also trap detritus if not properly cleaned. Learn more about the Nitrogen cycle here

*be gentle and do not rinse out all of the bioballs at once. The manufacturer does not recommend doing this, but many members have found this to be an acceptable practice.

Do I have to remove the bioballs?
No, many people have great success using bioballs. T

Can I remove the bioballs after the tank is established?
Yes with caution, because they are a part of your biological filtration you are going to want to spread it out a bit to prevent your tank from going through a mini cycle. If your tank has only been running for a few weeks then go ahead and take them all out at once.

General Design

biocube_filter.jpg

BioCube 8

Aquarium Volume: 8.9 gallons

Dimensions: 12-1/2" x 13" x 15" high

36 watt canopy

lighting includes:

(1) 18 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin

(1) 18 watt 10,000K Daylight straight pin

(2) 0.75 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED

Pump flow rate: 106 gph

BioCube 14

Aquarium Volume: 14.3 gallons

Dimensions: 15" x 15-1/2" x 17" high

48 watt canopy

lighting includes:

(1) 24 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin

(1) 24 watt 10,000K Daylight straight pin

(2) 0.75 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED

Pump flow rate: 137 gph

BioCube 29

Aquarium Volume: 29.1 gallons

Dimensions: 20" x 20-3/4" x 19-1/4" high

72 watt canopy

lighting includes:

(1) 36 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin

(1) 36 watt 10,000K Daylight straight pin

(3) 0.75 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED

Pump flow rate: 243 gph

nanonan's mod's, this gives you a good view of the back chambers.

5.jpg

• Like 1
what else can be used for blocking off the lower intake to help with skimming? maybe a strong waterproof tape? also, what else can be done cheaply to increase flow?

what is chemi-pure and what does it do? can i put it down ther if i keep the bioballs?

Plastic. Common household item is a CD case. Cut with razor glue with super glue gel underwater

Chemi pure is a chemical media that helps remove unwanted elements from the water. Helps neutralize coral toxins, helps keep the water clean and perams in check. Tints the water a nice blue color. It is not recommended to keep the bioballs.

http://www.chemi-pure.com/faq.htm

navyman_3703

thank you

Plastic. Common household item is a CD case. Cut with razor glue with super glue gel underwater

Chemi pure is a chemical media that helps remove unwanted elements from the water. Helps neutralize coral toxins, helps keep the water clean and perams in check. Tints the water a nice blue color. It is not recommended to keep the bioballs.

http://www.chemi-pure.com/faq.htm

Go ahead and set it up to get your water cycling. Go ahead and remove the filter and bio-balls too and add the media basket and contents after the cycle.

Go ahead and set it up to get your water cycling. Go ahead and remove the filter and bio-balls too and add the media basket and contents after the cycle.

I was wondering the same thing. About to order the media basket and a tunze skimmer.

Does that mean cured rock, sand as well as salt water and heater? Basically set the whole thing up?

Also, i guess that means I should knock out the chamber 1, chamber 2 and remove the tab ahead of time?

Is this ok or is it going to be a PITA while running? I don't mine waiting. If it's ok, I guess I could put filter floss over the chamber 2 drip plate to catch junk until basket arrives.

Thanks!

I have a recent biocube 14 problem. After I removed the bioballs i noticed bubbles acumulating on top of the water column. How would you fix this???

If the bubbles are coming from the return nozzle, then your pump is sucking air. Add more water and that should help.

I finally got my tank running! After several delays (one of which was a flooded basement, not from the tank) I was finally able to set the tank up this past Saturday July 10th.

Contents So Far: 30lbs. Bimini Pink Carib Sea Live Sand, ~29lbs Cured Live Rock, DI H20

The heater has been on, however, I am still uncertain regarding use of the lighting during the cycling process. Is it necessary? If so, how long should the lights be on for? (I came to find out that I need a new Actinic bulb already! I turned it on a few times for minutes at a time then nothing.)

I have left the stock filter cartridge in the back chamber (even though it has slid all of the way to the bottom since I removed the false floor) figuring it could stay in there for a week or so to help polish the water since it was so cloudy from the sand/rock. I also removed the tab and have placed filter fiber on top of the drip tray. All of the bioballs have been removed, however, I have also left the sponge in chamber 3 until I replace the stock pump.

Should I be dosing calcium, magnesium, iodine, stronium, or seachem reef builder during the cycling process? I know I shouldnt be using any filter media (I have purchased carbon, purigen, and chemipure elite). I will be adding cheeto this coming saturday.

What should my water changes consist of during the cycling process? 10% a week? More?

Thank you very much for your help, I am very familiar with freshwater tanks and have had atleast one at all times throughout my life, however, this is my first saltwater endeavor so I want to get off on the right foot.

post-53671-1279039479_thumb.jpg