Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

I just got a BioCube 14g The LFS has one set up with a heavy load and isn't running a skimmer.

I was wondering ow many of you guys run skimmers in your BioCubes?

Also I have all the bio balls in the tank now. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about this.

I have read some people say use them and others say not to.

If I do keep them I could clean them every few months but it would be hard to get to the balls on the bottom.

Any Ideas? I would like to make a decision before the tank runs to long..

Thanks for any info.

Unless you have a lot of fish, a skimmer will do more harm than good IMO...folks will debate this to the end of time, but there is some good articles on it out there. I've been running a BC29 for almost 2yrs now and with no skimmer and no problems.

Definitely toss the bio balls and stock filter and replace with Stevie T's media rack or similar. I run filter floss (change every other day), GFO and Chemipure in the media rack, and a clump of Chaeto in the other rack and it works great. I'd keep the stock blue sponge in as it traps crap before it gets to the pump (i.e. Chaeto bits) or your display. You just need to make sure to rinse it out at least every other water change.

Most important are weekly water changes with RO/DI water and a quality salt. Make sure salinity/temp does not stray too much, and make sure your params are straight, especially Ca/Alk/Mg if you have a lot of corals. One last thing, DON'T DOSE UNLESS YOU HAVE TO, and if you do, make sure you test for it.

Take your time and do it right, there's a lot of info out there and it can be overwhelming. Be patient and good things will come!

• Like 1
kevincaughey

I have a BioCube 14 gallon its been running a little over a week. Since the start all 3 back chambers are the same water level. This wouldn't bother me but the water in the 3rd chamber isn't getting much movement at the top. Its building up a film on top. When I first started the tank the 3rd chamber was maybe 3/4 lower than the other 2 but now they are close to even. It has a window that has minimum and maximum but I'm way over that.

Any ideas how to stop this?

One more question. I want to remove the false bottom in the first chamber for my heater. How do I do that?

Thanks for any ideas.

I love this Biocube. I have a problem with a fan, it's making a lot of noise. I called customer support and they are sending me a new fan. was really impressed with the cs. no questions asked just said one was one the way. sweet.

11lbs Live rock

5lbs live sand

3 crabs

2 snails

1 peppermint shrimp

3 unknown small corals

pic included

When I do my first water change I'm going to rearrange the live rock.

more pics at

http://picasaweb.google.com/caughey/BioCube#

post-52520-1272684304_thumb.jpg

benoitcdc
I have a BioCube 14 gallon its been running a little over a week. Since the start all 3 back chambers are the same water level. This wouldn't bother me but the water in the 3rd chamber isn't getting much movement at the top. Its building up a film on top. When I first started the tank the 3rd chamber was maybe 3/4 lower than the other 2 but now they are close to even. It has a window that has minimum and maximum but I'm way over that.

Any ideas how to stop this?

One more question. I want to remove the false bottom in the first chamber for my heater. How do I do that?

Thanks for any ideas.

I love this Biocube. I have a problem with a fan, it's making a lot of noise. I called customer support and they are sending me a new fan. was really impressed with the cs. no questions asked just said one was one the way. sweet.

11lbs Live rock

5lbs live sand

3 crabs

2 snails

1 peppermint shrimp

3 unknown small corals

pic included

When I do my first water change I'm going to rearrange the live rock.

more pics at

http://picasaweb.google.com/caughey/BioCube#

post-52520-1272684304_thumb.jpg

Hi Kevin,

Don't worry about the water level window on the side, just keep the water about 1/2" below the top of the chamber walls. I don't recall seeing scum on the surface of any of the chambers. What are you using for filtering? Basically for filtering you want water to enter via chamber 1, overflow into chamber 2 through filter floss (get rid of the bio balls) and then the water should flow under the wall and into chamber 3.

To remove the false bottom in chamber 1, I used a big flat tip screw driver and just punched it down, reached in and pulled it out. If you have a 1x1" piece of wood, you could do the same thing.

You are always going to have problems with the stock fans. Oceanic CS has been great and they do send out new fans but they will have the same problem in sort order. You can get better and quieter fans from nano tuners, Radio Shack, or any computer parts store. HTH

I have had this 29 HQI for about 3 weeks now. This is my first post, and lurking this forum has helped me immensely in maintaining my nano reef and modding my biocube. This is my first saltwater tank, and I was planning to start from scratch, but I found this amazing deal on craigslist for a tank that was only 3 weeks old. It was already packed with fish, crustaceans, and coral, and I was pretty certain I would kill everything, but the only casualty so far was 1 of 2 peppermint shrimp that happened during the tank move. I'm still trying to figure out all of the types of coral, and I should probably start a spreadsheet to keep track.

As far as fish go, the tank came with 3 blue-green chromis and a yellow wrasse. I added a pair of percula with the intent that if things get overloaded at 6 fish, the chromis would be heading to the LFS. So far, things are doing great, and a lot of the coral is growing quickly! I know that my tank size is slightly below the borderline for the yellow wrasse, but he seems pretty content to me and is definitely my favorite.

Here's a video I made yesterday:

I added an underwater light for the refugium and finally was able to see the false floor that is built into chamber 2. My first impression was that I should knock it out, so that I could siphon it during a water change However, it is kind of nice how it suspends my clump of chaeto. I then realized that when I take my bag of chemipure out of the sponge slot to rinse during a water change, I could just slip the siphon into there to get the debris out of chamber 2. What do you guys think?

kevincaughey

Hello group.

What is the best type of glue to use? I will be able to get the area dry but I need to know what will dry fast and be non toxic. I believe I have heard regular super glue is ok. Any know if this is true?

I need to plug up the little 1" hole from chamber 2 going in to chamber 3. Most of my flow is going through this hole instead of being pulled down through chamber 2. I am thinking of just gluing a piece of plastic over this hole. I know this was talked about on here before. Im going to try and find it now.

Thanks for any info.

Kevin

I was also going to knock the bottom out of chamber 1. I was at walmart and they sell heaters that are only like 4" long. So I got one of these instead and left the Biocube intact.

fishdaddy0831
I just realized I posted the wrong picture, sorry

This is what I meant to post.

Biocube3.jpg

I'm failing to understand how this increases flow. Say your running a pump that moves 246gpm how does removing this tab increase that? All I see it doing is lowering the water in the before chamber.

It allows more water to enter the second chamber at a faster rate, the output is the same but it balances the water levels between the three chambers. More flow does not mean more output in this case.

Chamber one does not drop when you remove this tab, it received the same input volume

fishdaddy0831
It allows more water to enter the second chamber at a faster rate, the output is the same but it balances the water levels between the three chambers. More flow does not mean more output in this case.

Chamber one does not drop when you remove this tab, it received the same input volume

How can the output be the same, but more water transfers to the 2nd chamber at a faster rate?

Reefmonster

In a BC14 what skimmer should I use and what chamber should I put it in, if any? Also, does anyone use a MP10 in theeir BC14? Thoughts?

Edited by Reefmonster
Reef Diver

I have the biocube 8g and wanted to swap out the stock pump for the minijet 606. Will cutting the tubing and just slapping the minijet in there work?

Edit: Whoops, nevermind. Didn't realize the end parts came out. :P

Edited by Reef Diver
How can the output be the same, but more water transfers to the 2nd chamber at a faster rate?

Let me jump in and see if I can muddy the water a little more. :D

I think I might see were the confusion is. Fishdaddy, you are correct in thinking that total output should equal total input. If it didn't, you would either have flooding or the pump chamber would run dry. I think what StevieT is referring to is the laminar flow of water over the 1st wall in chamber 1. StevieT, if I'm wrong please let me know. With the tab in place or removed, you will still get 246gpm if you used a 246gpm pump. With the tab removed you get more surface flow. Think of it as pushing the same amount of water through a 1/2" diameter pipe verses a 1" pipe with the same pump. One comes out fast like a stream out of a garden hose and the other has a more leisurely flow but more surface area. The biggest advantage to removing the tab is that you get more laminar flow or surface area flow but the same gpm. This bigger surface area allows for more surface flow and this allows for better surface skimming and filtering. I'm not a fluid dynamics engineer but I play one on TV (:D). The bottom line is, same gpm flow but better surface flow/skimming. I hope that makes sense.

fishdaddy0831
Let me jump in and see if I can muddy the water a little more. :D

I think I might see were the confusion is. Fishdaddy, you are correct in thinking that total output should equal total input. If it didn't, you would either have flooding or the pump chamber would run dry. I think what StevieT is referring to is the laminar flow of water over the 1st wall in chamber 1. StevieT, if I'm wrong please let me know. With the tab in place or removed, you will still get 246gpm if you used a 246gpm pump. With the tab removed you get more surface flow. Think of it as pushing the same amount of water through a 1/2" diameter pipe verses a 1" pipe with the same pump. One comes out fast like a stream out of a garden hose and the other has a more leisurely flow but more surface area. The biggest advantage to removing the tab is that you get more laminar flow or surface area flow but the same gpm. This bigger surface area allows for more surface flow and this allows for better surface skimming and filtering. I'm not a fluid dynamics engineer but I play one on TV (:D). The bottom line is, same gpm flow but better surface flow/skimming. I hope that makes sense.

That makes sense, and I can see the benefit now. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Like 1

Since most upgrade the stock pump it is even more important to supply as much water as possible to avoid swings in rear chamber water levels. This makes it a recommend/ required modification.

fishdaddy0831
Since most upgrade the stock pump it is even more important to supply as much water as possible to avoid swings in rear chamber water levels. This makes it a recommend/ required modification.

:huh:

*edit* I removed my question because I realized there's no point in carrying this on.

Thanks again benoitcdc for showing me an actual benefit to this mod.

Edited by fishdaddy0831
*edit* I removed my question because I realized there's no point in carrying this on.

why? Seems kind of pointless to delete a question

Edited by StevieT
fishdaddy0831
why? Seems kind of pointless to delete a question

Because I already know the answer, and while I was looking into this mod I found out that you are "inTank". So I now asume any information you give on this mod refers to effecting your media baskets. Although I do not have one I can understand how spreading the water out when it hits the basket would help it flow through your basket more effitiently.

My argument was that this mod doesn't increase flow. It won't effect the water level in the 2nd and 3rd chamber ether. This of corse is without any basket.

Please excuse my iPhone typing.

In a BC14 what skimmer should I use and what chamber should I put it in, if any? Also, does anyone use a MP10 in theeir BC14? Thoughts?

I don't think you need a skimmer as long as you do weekly water changes.

(I don't use one)

Reefmonster
+1

Awesome, Thanks for the replies! Another question I have is do you think I could add additional some fans to canopy? The tank water hits about 83 now and it will only get hotter as the summer goes on...I have the nanotuners 3.24 mod in it...

Thanks everyone!

Awesome, Thanks for the replies! Another question I have is do you think I could add additional some fans to canopy? The tank water hits about 83 now and it will only get hotter as the summer goes on...I have the nanotuners 3.24 mod in it...

Thanks everyone!

Reefmonster,

What do you keep the room temperature set at? What temp do you have the heater set to? 83 is high. You may need to consider using a chiller or some sort of evaporative cooler like an algae turf scrubber if you can't alter the first 2 conditions. I don't think additional fans in the hood would be enough to drop the temp. You would have to remove the canopy and have a fan blowing over the water to get any cooling.

Reefmonster
Reefmonster,

What do you keep the room temperature set at? What temp do you have the heater set to? 83 is high. You may need to consider using a chiller or some sort of evaporative cooler like an algae turf scrubber if you can't alter the first 2 conditions. I don't think additional fans in the hood would be enough to drop the temp. You would have to remove the canopy and have a fan blowing over the water to get any cooling.

I keep the room temp at 78*. I think I'm getting heat from the powerheads. I have a MJ1200, and a MJ900 for circulation...I noticed the MJ1200 was really warm this morning...I also noticed that the ballast gets REALLY hot...Maybe I'll raise the hood and set a piece of eggcrate between it and the water...give it a bit of airflow. (I have two small kids and don't want something "dropping" in the water, but don't want my water to get to 90* either)... I did the 3.24 Mod, but didn't upgrade my ballasts...shame on me :huh: . I wonder if a MP10 would lower the heat qotient? Maybe an upgrade to LED's? No ideas at this point....A chiller is not an option...my wife says "NO", and she's the boss.... :lol:

What do you guys think?

IMO with the BC14 unless you are in a heavy bioload situation weekly water changes should be enough to keep your system nice an clean. In addition if you have not already done so look into modding the stock filter to accept some polyester fiber fill and change it a couple of times per week.

You could certaily get an MP 10 for this tank as they are pretty much infinitely adjustable.

I keep the room temp at 78*. I think I'm getting heat from the powerheads. I have a MJ1200, and a MJ900 for circulation...I noticed the MJ1200 was really warm this morning...I also noticed that the ballast gets REALLY hot...Maybe I'll raise the hood and set a piece of eggcrate between it and the water...give it a bit of airflow. (I have two small kids and don't want something "dropping" in the water, but don't want my water to get to 90* either)... I did the 3.24 Mod, but didn't upgrade my ballasts...shame on me :huh: . I wonder if a MP10 would lower the heat qotient? Maybe an upgrade to LED's? No ideas at this point....A chiller is not an option...my wife says "NO", and she's the boss.... :lol:

What do you guys think?

The Maxijets are definitely adding heat to the system especially with the top closed. Does the 14 gallon have the small part of the hood that opens in the back? If so you can dissipate some of the heat by keeping that part open. The MP10 added to the tank and the Maxijets removed will help to remove some of the heat from the tank.

Edited by spanko