Cultivated Reef

biocube 29 skimmer or fuge ?

skeeters

First off, incredible site with tons of info. Really nice.

So why doesn't more people use a skimmer like the tunze? Seems like more people do a fug.

I have been out of reefing for about 8 years and it was all about protein skimmers and DSB back then.

I just got a BC 29 stock. Already has a fish guard and window on the back cause I can see the bioballs. I'm taking out the bioballs, replacing the pump with a rio (cause it helps reduce heat????), adding a heater and removing the sponge.

I'm only going to have 2 clown, bicolor blenny and watchman goby. Buttons, shrooms, xenia (might regret) and maybe a frogspawn and hammer. No SPS or clams. 29 pounds of live rock, maybe 1inch of sand.

Been told not to add B Ionic cause water changes will take care of it.

Questions:

1. Should I just add SteveT's media basket and fuge with chemi,purigen, chaeto and be done with it?

My only experience is with a protein skimmer so I guess I'm use to it but I have been told water changes will take care of nitrates with chaeto. Would a protein skimmer just increase temps and be a PITA?

2. Since I have a window in the back should I get the submersible light from SteveT or just setup a light outside. Which is easier to deal with? Whatever looks the best, works the best and is easy works for me.

3. Is removing the tab between chamber 1 and 2 necessary for me? I see some do some don't. Does it really matter?

Anything I'm missing? Anything I should be dosing? I have been reading this site for 2 days but somehow still have questions. It's a lot of information to take in but I want to do it right from scratch.

Nemo Niblets

Fuge is cheaper, which is (generally) why people go with that rather than the skimmer.

You don't need a skimmer, you probably don't need a fuge. Water changes are enough

In my biocube 29, I ran the StevieT media basket w/ chaeto in the middle chamber and a fuge light, with a Tunze 9002 next to it.

1. If you want. You could go that route, or you could go the skimmer route.

2. StevieT's underwater fuge light worked great for me.

3. If you upgrade the pump to the Rio, I would probably remove the tab. Wait to add the RIo, and make your decision from there.

I am all for adding a skimmer. You don't need it, but it'll make your life a whole lot easier. On my nanocube 28, I'm running a Warner Marine H1 Hang-on skimmer, and I feed about 5x more than on my old Biocube 29 with NO nitrate issues whatsoever. Again, you don't need the skimmer since you'll have no SPS or clams. But if you ever want SPS or clams, you can just throw them in. And eventually you'll probably want SPS and/or clams. :)

Quick tip: Take the sponge out from the return pump chamber. It'll collect gunk and become a nitrate trap. Just throw it away.

Nemo, thanks for the information. Good stuff. I think I will go with the media basket, tunze and the stevet collection cup. I will hold off on the rio. Also, I think I will hold off on the chaeto/light unless nitrates start to rise.

I'm assuming I still need the chemi-pure and purigen in the media basket?

Thanks again for the info.

Archived