Pod Your Reef

Chucktown 20H

divecj5

I think you've nailed it D. As of last week, no more dosing of ANYTHING other than Alk/Ca/Mg. I think constantly tinkering with the amount of MB7, stirring up and inefficiently siphoning too much of the sand bed, introducing a bunch of snails that stirred things up, resulted in the bacterial tail spin.

Honestly, I'm lucky I didn't crash the bad boy :closedeyes:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually used to use Chemi-Clean and Purigen on my BC29 religiously. Just plopped it into one of the rear chambers and it was good to go.

I've contemplated setting my Phosban reactor back up but really don't want yet another cord and piece of equipment chilling in the display.

Now I see the benefit of sumps ;)

Hey Adam - just catching up on my reading and didn't' realize you were having a cyano issue until just now. I agree completely with DHaut. It sounds like your dosing was the culprit. It will re-balance and the cyano will go away. Just give it a little time.

I'm about 4 weeks away from setting up my new tank so I'm available to help as needed. Just give me a call - you know I'll help in any way I can.

Hey Adam - just catching up on my reading and didn't' realize you were having a cyano issue until just now. I agree completely with DHaut. It sounds like your dosing was the culprit. It will re-balance and the cyano will go away. Just give it a little time.

I'm about 4 weeks away from setting up my new tank so I'm available to help as needed. Just give me a call - you know I'll help in any way I can.

Yay new for Karen

Yay new for Karen

I just can't seem to stay away - I missed you guys! Now I'm biting my nails waiting on my new tank to arrive.

Thanks for cruising by the thread Karen and volunteering to help in any way. I was gone the last 2 days up in Columbia and I just came back to a happy tank. Amongst finally mounting all of my controllers (vortech, ATO, Controller) in my stand, I took the skimmer off the tank and gave it a good vinegar bath. Didn't have time to put it back on the tank before I left so just figured I'd see how things looked when I got back. I was fully expecting to come back to a ton of cyano with the lack of skimming but that wasn't the case. Corals actually look more colorful.

I might try and keep up with 2 small water changes over the next week and see how things do without the skimmer by next weekend. It has consistently pulled out nice tea colored skimmate but the pump and unit in general is definitely an eye sore.

I just can't seem to stay away - I missed you guys! Now I'm biting my nails waiting on my new tank to arrive.

Can't wait to see your new tank Karen....from the equipment list and your past successes, this is going to be a showstopper.

-Adam

I'm going skimmerless right now and everything is fine. I might just pull my skimmer out and sell it.

Honestly, it's been off the tank now for about 5 days and things don't look any different...so far. I'm going to hook up my AC70 again and add some Chemi-Pure in there.

With that, and the macro I'm getting from you, hopefully that will keep everything in check.

:huh:

Say what? :P

Exactly

You know it.

Deleted User 6

Sounds like a plan! Opy says his algae that he got Friday is already showing growth. This stuff is pretty amazing.

Sounds like a plan! Opy says his algae that he got Friday is already showing growth. This stuff is pretty amazing.

Can't wait!! The last bit of Flame Algae you sent me was drop dead gorgeous. I have a feeling it's going to settle in better this time around.

In preparation for our trip to Seattle next week, I found two Aqua Lifters for $5 each and will be constructing some dosing pumps. It will be one less thing that I'll have to burden my sister with for taking care of the tank while we're gone. Luckily, this is her third time keeping an eye on the tank so she has a good idea what to look for and how much to feed. I had my bro watch my BC29 last time and the rear chamber was dry as a bone when we returned...lesson learned ;)

DIY Dosing Pumps

I'm already getting nervous about leaving the tank for 6 days :scarry:

Got some goodies in from DHaut today - huge piece of Flame Algae, Halimeda, Sea Fan, some green ball of macro (;)) and some bright green zoas. Thanks again D for hooking me up.

Also got my Aqualifters in today. Originally, I thought I had a deal lined up locally. That fell through, but I found them super cheap online from Marine Depot. I ordered them this past Monday thinking that they would definitely get to me in time for our trip. I was told that they weren't coming til Monday (I was freaking out at this point), so I was pleasantly surprised to find them sitting at the door during lunch.

Hopefully I can grab some pictures of the new additions and once I have the 2-part doser together, but we've got a wedding gig tonight and friend's son's birthday party in the morning to photograph. Getting ready to get shutter happy over the next 12 hours. Might not be able squeeze in tank pics but we'll see.

-Adam

What kind of sea fan? :D

Actually never saw a sea fan in the bag, but check out this Flame Algae. B) Converted from RAW to .jpg and a quick sharpen for web. Crazy colors under my ATI Blue + and ATI Aquablue Special bulbs. Hope it does well.

p401031323-3.jpg

Holy #### I need some of that

Definitely. Hopefully it grows well enough that I can snip you in the future. Definitely adds a ton to the tank as the color is ridiculous!!

Archived