Top Shelf Aquatics

dshnarw COLDWATER

dshnarw

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking great D. Those shots are awesome. I love this tank!

-Prof

Thanks Prof!

:wub:

watchu suckin up for?? :P

ugh, those last two make me all :wacko:

time to get a chiller? :D

Needreefunds
Pfffft, like I'll get anything out of you. Can't even pry any minis from your grubby little hands. :P

:lol: qft

Great shots D!!

C'mon give poor lanlan a nem. Ya know ya wub her. :P

• 1 month later...

Hey, dshnarw...

A reader of this month's coldwater article in advancedaquarist.com questioned (in the comment section) the identification of the stripey anemone (image #22, I think) as A. equina. Was I wrong-- was this the name the retailer used?

Thanks...

Hey, dshnarw...

A reader of this month's coldwater article in advancedaquarist.com questioned (in the comment section) the identification of the stripey anemone (image #22, I think) as A. equina. Was I wrong-- was this the name the retailer used?

Thanks...

Hey Ken, I presume...

Drs. Foster & Smith labeled it as A. equina, and I had stuck to that. Based on the verrucae, I doubt it's the correct naming, and is more likely one of the Phym- species (Phymactis, Phymanthea). I assume it came in with the DFS shipment of equina from Africa as I also got a definite A. equina at the same time, but nailing down an exact species has eluded me.

lakshwadeep
:lol: I knew someone would have to challenge at least one ID. Finding the location of origin will hopefully eliminate some choices.
:lol: I knew someone would have to challenge at least one ID. Finding the location of origin will hopefully eliminate some choices.

lol, yeah...not surprised at all, especially with my stuff. i'm not an expert by any means on cw livestock, and all my stuff is of suspect origin, except the strawberries of course.

• 7 months later...

Beadlet brooding again:

dshnarw-42.jpg

For size ref, half a tic tac is about the right size.

Anyone know if they only make one baby at a time, or do I just need to feed more?

Needreefunds

Wow, Daniel posted! :oomgomgomg

Nice to hear from ya D!

Grats on TOTM and Happy New Year to you guys!

...such a cute couple :P

Beautiful shots as always.

Omigosh, it's so cute. :wub:

I seriously need to clean up my cw tank.. it's messy.

Congrats on the TOTM. :D

lol...now I just need to figure out how to get it to spit them out faster...

you should have seen all the algae I pulled out of that thing for the TOTM shoot. I had a piece of hair algae a foot long in there. Thanks Lani :)

Wow, Daniel posted! :oomgomgomg

Nice to hear from ya D!

Grats on TOTM and Happy New Year to you guys!

...such a cute couple :P

Beautiful shots as always.

Hey Richie :) Thanks and HNY!

Tank looks great! Congrats on getting TOTM! I need to get some more nems so I can compete with yours haha

Thanks! Your tank is much fuller than mine though, from what I remember of your tank thread.

Baby nem is cute. :wub:

Happy new year - I'm so happy to see this thread back!

And also - I've been having algae problems too. I've left the lights off for the past two months, which has fixed the problem, but makes it difficult to see my fish. I think I'll start back up with a 2 hour photoperiod and see how it goes. fingerscrossed

Baby nem is cute. :wub:

Happy new year - I'm so happy to see this thread back!

And also - I've been having algae problems too. I've left the lights off for the past two months, which has fixed the problem, but makes it difficult to see my fish. I think I'll start back up with a 2 hour photoperiod and see how it goes. fingerscrossed

HNY! Not much to talk about with this thing...except for the baby and some algae, not much has changed.

Did yours ever decide to brood? I'm trying to figure out what exactly I'm doing (or not doing) that's causing them to actually put the effort in, but not a lot of info out there about what gets them to do it.

At this point, I think it's time to add a skimmer to the system...just too much food, even though I don't feed nearly as much as maybe Weast would suggest.

Mine has never made babies, but it's soo much happier ever since I stopped lighting the tank. Yeah - skimmer is probably a good idea. I've resorted to feeding every other day! My anemones hate me.

Mine has never made babies, but it's soo much happier ever since I stopped lighting the tank. Yeah - skimmer is probably a good idea. I've resorted to feeding every other day! My anemones hate me.

yeah, my tank only gets indirect light from the sun and then light from the floor lamp at night. everything opens up better with minimal light.

i dunno about the other species, but the beadlets don't seem to mind less frequent feeding much, except that they open up longer with more food.

Yeah, the strawberries seem fine with it too, but they don't grow at all. I guess it's enough to sustain them, but not enough for them to reproduce.

Yeah, the strawberries seem fine with it too, but they don't grow at all. I guess it's enough to sustain them, but not enough for them to reproduce.

Yeah, I haven't seen much growth in mine either with reduced feedings. I do find them in new places though. They're pretty well established all over the tank as single polyps or small groups, just need to find a way to get them to grow faster.

Same problem with the beadlet babies...they live, but they grow REALLY slowly. The oldest one is hardly the size of a strawberry now.

Archived