Cultivated Reef

dshnarw COLDWATER

dshnarw

nems went in the tank a minute ago.

AND!!!!!!

I FOUND ANOTHER BABY BEADLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

little guy is hiding behind a rock near the back of the tank. saw a little pinky-red spot that didn't look like the dark red coralline. tiny little guy, even smaller than the other one.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
but but that won't be for another 3 hours

you might be home before they open up :P

For all you beadlet owners/future owners:

Chia (1976) found that beadlets were on a 6 month cycle for asexual propagation. You should see brooding twice a year under optimum conditions. Give me a few months, and we'll see how that holds up :)

Needreefunds
nems went in the tank a minute ago.

AND!!!!!!

I FOUND ANOTHER BABY BEADLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

little guy is hiding behind a rock near the back of the tank. saw a little pinky-red spot that didn't look like the dark red coralline. tiny little guy, even smaller than the other one.

omgomgomg:happydance:omgomgomg

okay, so where are the pictures?

tomorrow :)

tonights lesson: if you're going to make custom intake filters, make sure they fit correctly. otherwise, they get sucked through the plumbing :mellow:

<_< news nems are shy. all 3 hidden under rocks.

in other news, i'm trying out margarita snails for cleaning purposes. hopefully they'll be fine after the temperature shock back to temperate.

Against the wishes of my arm...

I rearranged the tank enough to get some photos of the new beadlets. I did, however, make no effort to turn off the flow when I took the top-down shots, so you'll just have to get over the funky blur from the ripples :P

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

#2 you'll also have to forgive #2 for pooping (or is that puking?) in the midst of the photo shoot.

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg

not sure about the margarita snails...several are at least showing signs of life at this point, others have yet to even open up to attach to a rock. none have made any forward progress to speak of. don't think they appreciated the temp swing.

great_success.png

looks like most of the snails have made it through the temp shock. only a couple that i can see that havent moved. most of the others have left little clean trails over the rocks :D

now, for long term survival...

haha, nice. Next time, you could try letting them acclimate to room temp first, then drop them down. Might be a little less of a shock - sounds like they're pretty tough though. ;)

haha, nice. Next time, you could try letting them acclimate to room temp first, then drop them down. Might be a little less of a shock - sounds like they're pretty tough though. ;)

well, we had to drive an hour to get home from the LFS, so they were plenty cold by then. I just couldn't come up with an easy way to make the temp acclimation take, say 5-6 hours instead of 2.

You acclimate for two hours? O.o

I acclimate for two minutes. If I'm feeling generous.

when they're going from 78* to 58*?

....yeah

well, not quite. When I got my nem from the drs., the water in the bag was already around 63, so I just let them sit for a couple minutes and tossed them in. That would be the only time I've ever took something tropical and put it in a coldwater tank, but the temp in their bag was probably dropping slowly the whole time they were going through shipping, so not really the same as your case. Have the slow ones perked up yet?

well, not quite. When I got my nem from the drs., the water in the bag was already around 63, so I just let them sit for a couple minutes and tossed them in. That would be the only time I've ever took something tropical and put it in a coldwater tank, but the temp in their bag was probably dropping slowly the whole time they were going through shipping, so not really the same as your case. Have the slow ones perked up yet?

yeah, that does make it a bit easier :) unfortunately, the good drs. decided to double heatpack the last group <_< they took 2 hours in cool down mode too.

nope, looks like i might have 6 or 7 dead ones out of 20ish. seems about average for snails. a couple of the live ones got some serious munchies goin on :)

Archived