Innovative Marine Aquariums

Colgan10's Biocube to 180g reef NEW PICS

colgan10

Ok well i haven't been on here in awhile i have been out of town and studying for finals, but i'm getting my new frags in wed. and i have my camera so when they get in i'm going to post new pics of everything.

I honestly can't remember what i paid for the upgrade i think it was like 300 maybe less or more. All i know is that on nanotuners web page it was listed alot higher than what i paid i called up there and they were running a special and it wasn't on there website so i would just call up there and talk to them they are really easy to work with and friendly.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John has a big test tomorrow...He's a dental student....I think it's a Final in Molar 201....but he assured me they will be up in a day or two....We gotta give him a break for school....sure as crap I would rather have a Dentist who paid more attention to his stuff than to his tank!!!!

As ADHD as I am I would be drilling on a cavity and have to excuse myself for just a sec to go move a frag to a better spot!!!!

Hey John, I was thinking a couple minutes ago...if you have an area of your tank that has a fairly strong directional flow, throw the Pink and Green mille out in the current....the side getten hit by the flow will be the side that turns that wicked green....

Sorry for the no pictures still! They will be posted tomorrow for sure! I had some camera issues. The happy corals are really starting to look happy tho!

Also i put the pink and green milli out in some current but my tank is pretty spuratic i have flow changers on both of my pumps but the pink and green milli is looking kinda brownish yellowish is that normal i'm sorry i can't put picks up but i'm borrowing my brother-in-laws camera tomorrow so i'll be able to post pictures tomorrow for sure!

never mind about the pink and green milli i placed it in a different spot and it is looking much better i think i was in two much current before.

Well there are the new pics with the new reef scape, hope everyone enjoys i still have room to add some sps so i'll be adding more in the near future now i just gotta let all these puppies grow for now.

The picture of the hood is the nanotuners 150w metal halide upgrade with 14k phoenix and actinics.

Wow awsome!!!! I love the MH lighting in the BCs I was wondering what you were running for cooling if any... and also what temps you run?

Thanks, right now i do not have any kind of cooling system on my tank i play with the thought of getting a chiller, but don't know if i am because i have not had any problems at all so far. My temps are higher than most peoples temps on here mine are at 80 to 83 degrees, like i said i have had no problems with this yet. I also have a book that is a collection of the best reef tanks in the world and many tanks in this book run at higher temps so who knows?

Plus I dive and many reefs around the world have water temperatures that can reach the mid to upper 80's in the summer. So i don't feel like being in the low 80's is that hard on them as long as i keep all other parameters stable and keep the tank from having large temperature swings. I have found that if i leave the rear chamber door open these keeps the temperatures lower, but i think it looks ugly so i usually keep it closed.

Yeah John, I think we choose 84 degrees somewhat arbitrarily, as there are numerous reefsa that are never there. It's kind of like 98.6 being normal temp for us, whenever I get to 98.6 I am fully 2 1/2 degrees hot, as my normal runs just about 96. My feeling is that I don't want to hang out above 84, but the real kley is consistency...

Just my $.02

Thanks, right now i do not have any kind of cooling system on my tank i play with the thought of getting a chiller, but don't know if i am because i have not had any problems at all so far. My temps are higher than most peoples temps on here mine are at 80 to 83 degrees, like i said i have had no problems with this yet. I also have a book that is a collection of the best reef tanks in the world and many tanks in this book run at higher temps so who knows?

Wow thats what my temps runs with the stock lighting and hood closed

Thats cool to know i have been wanting to do it for my BC 14 but my main deterrent was the temp issues I keep my tank down in the mid 70 no hotter than 78.9 and no cooler then 75 I keep it in check by keeping my hood and flap proped open and with a fan and a heater

If I was to upgrade I think a temp swing of 10 degrees would be too much of a change and I would have to pick up a chiller. :angry: Awsome that the 29 doesn't have as many heating issues than the 14 gal, I kick myself in the but for not getting the 29 I was going to but the 14 looked so nice and small.

Thanks guys well i forgot to mention that in the upgrade the put new fans in the hood to increase the amount of air flow in the hood so in most cases it actually will run cooler than the stock lighting if you went with the 70w on you 14g at least that is what i was told, mine with the 150w only went up 4 degrees from the stock lighting just something to think about.

hey Colgan, Thanks for the comment! I have to say your tank is a sexy thing. i love the flat aquascape. seems so much more roomy for corals and fish alike. I'm still thinking of asking for the bio cube upgrade for christmas, but I think at this point, growing my coral collection is more important to me. Besides, I think I might stick with a softy and LPS tank. SPS are beautiful, but I want to see what kinda tank I can grow with just those. I guess the only thing I would want the hood for is to have a couple clams. I love me some clams!

yea i went with a more flat reef scape so i could just let the sps grow and fill in all the area they want we will see how it turns out in a couple of years.....yea i did a soft and lps tank for two years and it was amazing it looked better than this tank because it was so grown in but i lost it when i lost power for a week i'll have to post some pictures of it sometime if i can find where i put some of my old setup.

Great tank.

Sorry to hear how Ike hit you. I am a TV Producer and cover a ton of natural disasters. I spent two weeks during Gustav and Ike sleeping in a tent and roaming the Gulf Coast producing a special for a relief agency. I see you're in Kentucky -- amazing -- even as in upper midwest people lost power from that storm, some roofs here are still damaged.

Back to the tank... tell me more about your PVC pipe and rubble pod producer.

thanks

Joe

yea i was shocked that it caused as much damage as it did up here, but we have tons of huge oaks in the part of louisville that i live in and they just couldn't handle that type of wind.

Basically if you look in the pictures the back wall behind the live rock is rock rubble and under the rock rubble are three small PVC pipes. I picked this up from a good lfs that grows there own pods. The pvc is a place where the pods can go in and reproduce without any threat by the fish and other inverts that might eat them. there isn't a ton of rock rubble but its mainly there to give the pods a place to stage and reproduce after leaving the pvc before they venture out and get snatched up by my scooter blenny i know that the is working well, because one i have tons of pods even with a scooter and two at night they are everywhere. hope this helps it an easy thing to do if you want keep a scooter.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey the corals are doing great! I'm getting some good growth already! I got a new camera for christmas so i'm going to add some pictures on here shortly. School went great, but i have been enjoying my break! Keep an eye out for the new pictures!

Your tank looks great Colgan, later on in the year when my tank matures quite a bit more Im hoping to go the SPS route for part of my tank. I do have one small 2" frag of some type of blue acro that was given to me by a LFS that messed up my Skimmer order 2 times... It was sort of a sorry for the mistake freebie so I figured Id see how he did . Ive been very maticulous to keep things as stable as I can , although i cant really see any noticable growth, color and polyp extension is better today 5 weeks later than when I put him in so Im hopefull ... keep up the great job and keep the pics coming ...

Thanks for the nice reply. I really love SPS so i would recommend you going to it! They really aren't that hard to care for and its a fun challenge trying to keep your tank at the perfect levels for them! I would like to ask you a question i have one #1 korlia and i was thinking about adding another one but how much is to much flow? Anyone out there with any suggestions? Right now everything seems to be doing good....would it be worth it to add another one?

Archived