SaltCritters.com

Colgan10's Biocube to 180g reef NEW PICS

colgan10

So I have had my biocube for 4 years and I love it it. It was so established, but hurricane ike took out my power for a week and I lost everything! I have sense bought the nano tuners 150 mh upgrade and i love it i'm going to have an sps dominated tank so of the coral in the picture is what survived from the previous tank set up. I will post pictures of what the old tank looked like. These pictures aren't that good sense i took them with my mac, but when i get my camera back i will take much better pictures. This is what my tank looks like so far, but much change to come!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

man no love on the tank at all it can't suck that bad i know the pics kinda suck but i had to use camera on my macbook to take these. when i get my camera back i'll take better ones :mellow::(

Sorry to hear about your past tank crash, but it looks like you've recovered from it well. I also have a mac and I know how difficult it can be to take pics with the built in camera, but man your pics are A TON better than anything I've ever gotten out of mine. I really like the way you have your clams. I also have a crocea in the sand and I'm interested in putting another type of giant clam down in the sand, How are your clams doing?

Thanks for the the feed back guys i was starting to become worried my tanked sucked....i love the nanotuners 150w upgrade! It makes a huge difference and they are great to work with. i was between the 4 by 36 and the 150w because of heat issues but i'm so happy i went with the halide great shimmer and i don't have any kind of heating issues. It might appear really blue right now and that is because i have a 20k radium and actinics, plus these computer picture really don't do it justice its really not that blue...i'm in dental school and i won't be able to get my camera back home till dec., but i would highly recommend the nanotuners upgrade if you are wanting to keep the hood and keep everything nice and clean looking.

My clams are doing awesome. I have a teardrop maxima, a electric blue crocea, and a sqamosa clam and all of them have been doing great! Just make sure you keep the calcium levels high sense they are calcium hogs! Clams are by far my favorite things in my reef! I actually had a blue maxima under the stock pc's for two years but it was on the very top of the tank (old pictures will be put up once my camera is picked up) they aren't as hard to keep as some people say as long as they have light and calcium.

Some of the mushrooms the fuzzy's and purple ricos are going to have to go and the christmas tree worm rock is gonna have to go too. Its hard to tell but the whole right side of the take is rock rubble to increase the pod population for my scooter bleeny, but i think a new aquascape is in the works....once the pieces i talked about are gone it will be much easier to rearrange the tank....updates coming soon.

By the way the 150w upgrade when i called and talked to them ended up being a ton cheaper than the price on there web site? I don't know why this is but it was a big difference than the price they had listed so if you are interested you might want to call them?

well i took the shrooms and xmas rock to the store today and picked up a cool pice of orange digi and a acro frag that is light brown with an awesome baby blue color color as well. Pics to come. The tank looks much better too with out the shrooms and worm rock they just out grew the tank.

dahliaheartsyou

the tank looked great!

and the clams sound sweet!

i want the lighting upgrade =[

the pics were good for a mac, i took my 1st tank pics on my mac too :lol:

can't wait for pics!!!

=]

Thank you so much dahlia...i have already seen your tanks and they look great too....i really appreciate it......lol, that is funny you used your mac to post pics too, and the lighting upgrade is the best thing i have done to my tank you should dif. do it! Again thank you and keep up the good work on you tank too it looks amazing!

Thanks so much, the pictures really do no justice...good news tho I'm getting my camera over thanksgiving break so i'll have good pictures of all the livestock.....the acro in the third picture is a ORA pink millepora one of my favorites.

ok so i switched out my 20k megachrome to a 14k phoenix today so far i can only tell a slight difference in the amount of white light, but i like it, it better be as good as everyone on here says it is, i guess we will just have to wait and see. I also did a new reef scape....the tank had a small rock rubble pile to help with the pods but I just didn't like the way it looked so i changed it up and i really like the results. I also recently ordered some of the infamous happy corals from mitchreef today and i can't wait to have alittle bit of his beautiful reef in mine. I will try to get some pictures of the new scape with my friends camera once the tank clears back up....i got rid of almost all my shrooms and xmas rock which i think it now looks a ton better its really turning into a sps tank now i just gotta let these puppies grow out!

Yup, That's right....and I HAVE FRAG PICS!!!!!

I guess you should see the Superman Montipora first:

CIMG2033.jpg

Realize I have great big hands, this pic is just to show the solid size of the frag....It's totally pissed off in that picture, but WTF....I'm holding it in my hand....

Here is your branch of the Pink and Green Acropora millepora:

CIMG2025.jpg

Or is that your TWO branches....this stuff loves massive (but indirect....no powerhead blast) flow....if your flow is one direction stronger than others the side that gets hit goes electric green

Here is your Montipora confusa frag:

CIMG2023.jpg

Just look at that purple growth edge....and the tell-tale flame like growth pattern....that is the true identifier of REAL confusa....pretty piece....

Here is the small Blue Acropora tortuosa:

CIMG2027.jpg

The one little limb you said you wanted looked so lonesome I gave it two little travelling companions....I would have gone bigger but the Mother still hasn't gone up....all just encrustation....

and just for fun I have a little bitty, but very special little frag that might just appear in your package....just as sort of an Ambassador of Happy....

I will get them off to you as planned unless I hear any other word from you....

Enjoy,

Mitch

OMG....I'm really excited and know that they will look great in my tank i have the spots all ready for them. Now I just can wait to get these happy bad boys in here and watch them grow into the beautiful mother colonies they came from!

Thanks Mano! Looks like you are off to a good start too. Ok so here are some details of my tank

Tank:

29g biocube

stock hood w/ 150 mh and two pc actinics nanotuners upgrade

The mh is a 14k phoenix ran for 10hrs

actinics are run for twelve

LED moon light upgrade from nanotuners

Filtration:

1st chamber has bag of carbon and phoslock

2nd chamber has cpr skimmer

3rd chamber rio hyperflo 6

Substrates:

About 30lbs of live rock

1 to 2 inch sand bed

in rear of aquascape rock rubble with three small pvc pipes for pod population (unseen but great pod producer)

Livestock:

maroon clown

scooter blenny

flasher wrasse

purple reef lobster

three turbos

many herms

RBTA

Corals:

Will post pics of all the sps and others easier than naming

Maintenance:

B-ionic 24ml every other day

5 gal water change every two weeks

Spot maintenance daily

Feeding:

Spectrum (only food that doesn't leach phosphates that i've found)

Mysis every three to four days

feeding less is more in my book.

John,

That all sounds really nice....you mention another unknown fish to be added....if I can make a suggestion, consider a Possum Wrasse, (Wetmorella sp)...they are really pretty, they stay dwarf sized and they have plenty of personality, cruising all around nice and easy, in and out of the rockwork....

Mine's named Pogo, here he is:

CIMG0607.jpg

Worth reading up on....they are great nano-residents.....

You're gonna love those frags from Mitch!!! He has some of the nicest stuff I've personally acquired! I can't wait to see that new stuff acclimated, in, and all polyped out!!

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Tank looks great btw.

Thanks guys yea that fish does look awesome i will have to do some research on them! I have never seen one before. I really can't wait for those frags to get here i am so ready to get them into place. Jkunz you tank looks better and better everytime i look at it you are getting your self a nice set of very cool frags i hope the ones make you you just recieved! I also can't wait to get my camera back this week so i can finally put up some good pictures of the inhabitants and the new aquascape!

My camera is really poor, but I would lose my mind without one....I take pictures like a crazy man....I cannot wait to get home tonight and snap a few with my new actinics....I got them installed last night, finished just 10 minutes before they cycled off....AMAZING difference....

Hey could you put up some pictures of the MH hood upgrade? Did you do it yourself or did u send the hood out. If you did it yourself how difficult would you say it was?

thanks yea I Will post pictures of the hood but won't be able to untill I get back on Sunday so look for them then I am out of town right now I actually just sent my hood to them I figured it would just be easier for them to do it then me mess something up with the wiring they were great and it didn't cost me anything for them to do it

Biocube 29 reefer

Don't want to be rude, but Im curious of what you payed for your upgrade, because I am really wanting the MH upgarde for my BC 29G, but I understand if you can't supply that info.

Archived