Coral Vue Hydros

Colgan10's Biocube to 180g reef NEW PICS

colgan10

Angel20Emoticon20Praying.gif

All will be fine bro... I have faith!!! -_-

im sorry to hear bout another sad mishap from ur area!! it stinks that u and your family and friends have to endure such troubles!! hope all turns out well!! i am stoked to see your devotion to your tank, so that u do not see a tank disaster again!! good luck my friend!!

p.s. you need one of these!! :)

post-34018-1233468811.jpg

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its too bad you have to move your whole setup due to a power outage. We lost power here in southern, NH for days back in December and I almost lost my 9G tank. Others weren't so lucky and were without power for up to 10 days.

Water temp dropped into the low 60's/50's and everything looked dead. It kind of freaked me out and I was going to give up on SW. Everything came back nicely and then my serious GF got me a BC29 for Christmas...glad I decided to stay with it because I just love the way this thing is coming along.

How is your wrasse? After reading your posts I started paying attention to them at the LFS. I just love the way they move. I was hoping for a Melanurus Wrasse but they are never in stock and they have also tell me they should be in at least 50G unless you get one of the smaller ones.

I love sps corals so these are my pride and joy i just love watching them grow....I can thank Mitch for some of my impressive pieces he is the man with all the best happy coral frags!

That is so true Mitch i hate worrying about losing power durning ice storms, but dont forget you have to worry about all thos hurricanes!

Point well made regarding the hurricanes...I guess we all have weather to deal with....and thanks a million for your nice words...Happy Corals are healthy corals....I am really pleased with some of the things I have collected, and how well they do in my little tank....

Thanks for all the comments lets see if I can answer some of your questions.

The temperature in my biocube usually stays somewhere between 78 to 82 degrees depending on the time of year. It actually gets warmer in the winter time since my heat is on. It gets in the 100's outside here in ky durning the summer months so i can see where your concern is in Cali, but i have found that if you are seeing high temps if you keep the back hood open in the biocube that the temperature actually stays right at 78. I have no issue with with the plastic on the hood melting either, like some people try to say happens. I see what you are saying jerzsky about the chiller, but everything in my tank is doing fine and growing great without one so i really don't see the point. I scuba dive and if you actually look at the reef temperatures around the world some can reach the 90's!!!! I think that people think that worry about temperatures a ton in reef keeping which i agree that a stable temperature is very important, but i think that as long as the tank stays right in the 80 to 83 corals can thrive at this temperature and in most natural reefs they breed at this temperature. I have a book at home i'll post the name later (i'm not at home i don't have power still) but it has some of the most impressive reef tanks from around the world and let me tell you these tanks are mind blowing. The book gives every stat that the owners keep for running there tank setup, light, circulation, temperature, filtration, ext. and the avg temp for all the tanks is 82 hmmmm that seems different than what we are generally told to keep our tanks at. If these people are having so much success why is that??? because it is all about keeping a stable narrow range in temperature...lol..ok i'm done talking about temp.

The Flasher wrasse are amazing little fish they are peaceful and can be kept in schools and it is amazing to see them flash there colors they can change shades so fast I would really recommend them to anyone i want a bigger tank so i can keep a school!

I agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying...Stability is the Single Central Factor in the jump from a great tank and a truly successful tank...I have seen thoroughly amazing tanks with parameters right at the extremes of acceptable range, but with fine-tuned consistency....I have seen a fabulous tank that ran temps between 82.7 and 83.4 degrees!!!! But...notice, that is a temp spread of only 0.7 degrees...that was where his temps stayed....within 0.7 degrees....

Stability is the key. Any questions? lol

I think we should make stability the moto of the month in ever aspect temp, water parameters, lighting, and over quality and care of the tank (even tho i try to strive to do this always) i'll be extra anal this month....hahahaha

Well my tank is still at my sister's house. I finally got power back so that is a huge plus. The corals in the tank are exploding with growth! I have had the vortech in there for a week now and i can really tell a huge difference, especially since i don't get to see my tank everyday now.

Mitch that tiny frag of the Tri-Color Acropora valida you gave me is starting to go crazy it has tiny shoots going up everywhere mine just hasn't started geting that bluish purple color yet, but its still really small so as it grow i'm sure it will. The confusa and superman are also starting to really take off.

The rbta is doing great i started feeding it silversides and it seems to really enjoy it. It did look kinda like he was thinking about moving tonight when i left Jen's place. I hope he doesn't i don't know what i would do. He might just be alittle unsettled because of the addition of the vortech?

I did have a question if zenia were to touch any of the sps corals would it harm it or would the sps corals whip its but? I have zenia in my tank and if it spread it could get close to my green slimmer so i was wondering if this could be a problem i'll have to look into?

I am going to take some pictures of everything this weekend and post them so check back to see some updated pictures of the tank with the vortech.

• 3 weeks later...
Well my tank is still at my sister's house. I finally got power back so that is a huge plus. The corals in the tank are exploding with growth! I have had the vortech in there for a week now and i can really tell a huge difference, especially since i don't get to see my tank everyday now.

Mitch that tiny frag of the Tri-Color Acropora valida you gave me is starting to go crazy it has tiny shoots going up everywhere mine just hasn't started geting that bluish purple color yet, but its still really small so as it grow i'm sure it will. The confusa and superman are also starting to really take off.

The rbta is doing great i started feeding it silversides and it seems to really enjoy it. It did look kinda like he was thinking about moving tonight when i left Jen's place. I hope he doesn't i don't know what i would do. He might just be alittle unsettled because of the addition of the vortech?

I did have a question if zenia were to touch any of the sps corals would it harm it or would the sps corals whip its but? I have zenia in my tank and if it spread it could get close to my green slimmer so i was wondering if this could be a problem i'll have to look into?

I am going to take some pictures of everything this weekend and post them so check back to see some updated pictures of the tank with the vortech.

Tap tap tap... What's going on bro???

Colgan10 is a Dental Student and goes missing at times, probably stuck in the books...I'm sure if there had been any more ill-events he would have let us know...He will pop up soon with great new photos and we can then all cheer!!!

Yea Mitch you called it i have had it up to my ears this semester! I have had so many test lately it is not even funny and have pretty much had to learn every vein, artery, nerve you name it from the neck up.....wow let me tell you it is overwhelming how much information there is in my head and neck course.

Ok everything is doing great in my tank the anem did move but is doing great. The coral have exploded with growth since the addition of the mp 20. I do have a new toy getting here maybe tomorrow or wed. It a 250w halide with actinic lighting! Can't wait to get it on the tank. Well here are some pictures and some movies ENJOY! Oh and if everyone doesn't already know Mitch is the MAN when it comes to coral!

DSC00171.jpg

DSC00172.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

DSC00150.jpg

DSC00153.jpg

DSC00154.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

DSC00160.jpg

DSC00161.jpg

DSC00162.jpg

DSC00163.jpg

DSC00164.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00168.jpg

DSC00169.jpg

Movies First is Reef Crest Mode Second is Short Pulse

th_MOV00173.jpg

th_db5a13fc.jpg

Yea i can't wait i debated about going to 250 or not, but I think it is going to be awesome! I think it will really make the coral pop with color and growth, plus i will feel much better about adding a clam at some point.

Here are just some quick growth shots

Before

DSC00038.jpg

After

DSC00157.jpg

before

DSC00039.jpg

after

DSC00161-1-1.jpg

before

DSC00020.jpg

after

DSC00164.jpg

before

DSC00036.jpg

after

DSC00160.jpg

before

DSC00061.jpg

after

DSC00172.jpg

Thank you so much David you are so nice it means alot people enjoy all this hard work we all put into our tanks so thank you!

Man...your tank is growing like crazy...looking great...I sure would love to send you another box of Happy Corals...let me know when you want...You know I will frag about anything you want...That little chip of tricolor is going nuts!!!

As long as I can grow corals I will ship them around the country...and so far I have been able to grow them...

and BTW, thanks for the kind words...I have been blessed with good growth and color...

I saw your videos on your MP20. Very cool! I've done some reading on those and might just have to evolve into one some day soon. Did you get the battery backup with yours?

I have two K1s in my BC29 and have gotten used to looking at them, but the MP20 looks much nicer with it taking up less display space.

Your tank looks really nice.

quick question and maybe someone can shed some light on this for me. I have been having a hard time keeping my alk at the right levels it seems to going down pretty quickly lately i have always used bionic 2 part and i can't see to figure out what is going on? What is the best way to keep the alk more stable, in a biocube? what are my other options besides two part?

I'm also probally going to add a ATO for the tank. Any suggestions on which brand is good and reliable?

Dude..that red monti cap is sweet. I am looking to add one myself. Did you find that at a LFS or did it get shipped in from an online vendor?

Also, thanks for your reply to my PM about the MP20. I'm getting a serious craving for one and might have to place an order soon.

Here are just some quick growth shots

Before

DSC00061.jpg

Thank you so much David you are so nice it means alot people enjoy all this hard work we all put into our tanks so thank you!

Hey Colgan, your tank is looking better and better. What is the Grassy type of stuff in the front center of this picture?

Glad to read your feedback about the MP20. What is it that you like so much? The increased flow or the fact it doesn't take up too much room in the tank? Is it much stronger than the powerhead you had previously?

I actually got that red monti as a frag from my lfs and it grew into that huge piece if you look at old pictures of it you can really see how fast this thing really grows it's by far my quickest grower! You should def get the mp20 it is worth its weight in gold.

The mp 20 is leaps and bounds better than my old pumps, I love that fact that it puts out such a broad flow and even creates a undertow in the tank. I was blown away how much junk became suspend when i first turned on the pump. This thing does 2,000gph so the old pump doesn't come close to the amount of flow. I had to start the mp at about 60 or 70% of the full to allow my corals to adjust to the increase in flow and now have moved it to 100% in reef crest mode. This mode is my favorite for keeping it on all the time it creates very random and high energy flow like you would see on a natural reef and my corals are loving it sps and soft! I can tell a huge difference in apearence and growth. From pictures you really can't tell how large this pump really is the motor on the outside of the tank is large but very very quite which i love since you get no heat transfer, and the propeller that is inside the tank is huge its just thin since that's all there is no motor just the propeller, i'm guessing that's how the flow is so broad it's at least 3" by 3" or more, but is hardly noticeable in the tank. The short pulse mode does cause a wave and is cool to put on for people and just to change up the current at times but i don't like this mode as well as the reef crest mode. Hope all this information helps and feel free to ask any questions if some of this doesn't make since.

as far as that grassy looking thing it is this

DSC00009.jpg

Its on the left side of the tank now in the corner

DSC00172.jpg

it is just a piece of live rock covered in yellow polyps!

Oh and i forgot to mention the 250w fixture with actinic pcs in on the tank now and looks great. Mitch i can already see the electic pink and green milli frag that i got from you is starting to get specks of bright pink on it!!!! I think that my 150 lighting just wasn't enough for it! also it appears that two other frags that i had in the tank that were so so are starting to turn colors I'll post some pics of them tomorrow if i have time.

yea its actually not that thick ever since the anemone move down to the edge that clown fish has been moving the sand every where around it, and the pistol shrimp has seemed to clean out every spec of sand from under the live rock and has created caves everywhere where the yellow watchman and the pistol live its amazing how much sand thos pistols can move around! I honestly don't see how the live rock doesn't cave in....lol

Archived