ReefCleaners.org

The ORA thread

glennr1978

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
whoops.

guess i jumped the gun on that one, huh?

yeah dude, go get some kleenex for to wipe off your keyboard. nobody likes a sticky keyboard.

I need to find a cheaper hobby like crack or speed or move further a way from the new LFS.

If I spent this much on crack I'd be dead.

And if there was an ORA for crack, that sh!t would look like diamonds and smoke itself.

Picked up a Marshall Island Fuzzy Yellow acro and an orange digi from ORA today.

pics or.....

come on man, you know better than that!

Just a fast comment on the Bird of Paradise...I'm wholly unimpressed because I have a BN I got several months ago from an awesome local seller for $10. That BN has almost the same color though slightly darker polyps and more orange in the seller's tanks and mine, and sharper, white growth tips. The tips are almost pink under high light, but I think that's more of an issue of burning than just natural color. It is a good looking coral, I guess I'm just biased towards my own.

My favorite so far is the Plum Crazy. It was a bit brown when I added it to the tank, but the purple in the tank now is insane. I only have blurry pictures of it in its current place; for whatever reasons, the camera hates its location. Here's when I got it, and what it currently looks like.

10190801.jpg

12060801-8.jpg

I have the purple cap as well, but right now it's just brown with a tiny tinge of purple on some of the new growth. I'm hopefully getting a Red Planet with the next order that my LFS is putting in. I'll get a Rose Milli as well. I definitly still want Pearlberry. I like the Borealis, but I'm not sure I have room for anymore until my 65 cycles and I can start moving out the softy corals if I keep spacing to allow for eventual grow-out. He might also get the Picassoes he's been waiting for for several months, so that could be a big hit to my wallet, since two of the eight he has on order are mine...

Prop, if you're willing to do the drive to the north side of Dayton on a regular basis, there is a store up near 70 & 75 junction that orders from ORA on a regular basis and gives good deals on them. On the limited corals, he usually does first come, first serve among his customers, then opens it up to the local club members. Gerber's up here is doing ORA also, but as is typical of them, they overprice the frags as well.

this nano-reef stuff is stupid. we should all just start with 180g+ systems. we would all probably save a lot of money in the long-run. haha.

I totally agree. :)

Yes but then we would spend all of our $ on live rock :-)

Ooooh yeah. It's taken me an extra 1-2 months to set up my 65 because I'm being as cheap as possible on rock. Local prices are anywhere from $6-$11 per pound of even just decent rock, cured or as-is. That's at least $600 to set up this 65 gallon, friggin ridiculous.

A crappy camera and my metal halide upgrade makes it so I cant get a good pic of my ORA Pearl Berry. It glows so much it comes out white in all pics taken.

This was back in August under stock lights and it has been growing nice.

post-35600-1228766220_thumb.jpg

I can't stop..... I picked up an ORA blue bottle brush "frag" (it's really more of small colony) a little while ago. It's floating in the bag right now. Pics to come a little later.

I have some beautiful corals tht grew out of frags from ORA corals...They are not on those pretty black frag plugs...am I allowed to show them off here too?

I can't have any on those black plugs....those things (the plugs) are just too expensive for me...I have soem that I have grown out from pieces though...

Mitch

I have some beautiful corals tht grew out of frags from ORA corals...They are not on those pretty black frag plugs...am I allowed to show them off here too?

I can't have any on those black plugs....those things (the plugs) are just too expensive for me...I have soem that I have grown out from pieces though...

Mitch

this ain't RC, post away!!!

this ain't RC, post away!!!

Agreed. IMHO, if it grew out of an original ORA piece then its still ORA. I know with plants atleast, when you make cuttings, its just cloning it.

I went to the LFS today for some filter floss and left with this. ORA blue bottle brush.

DSC01639.jpg

Same coral w/ flash and acro crab.

DSC01635.jpg

Agreed. IMHO, if it grew out of an original ORA piece then its still ORA. I know with plants atleast, when you make cuttings, its just cloning it.

no kidding. the lineage doesn't change once it's off the fancy black plug.

I guess I should show off my "broke off a Genuine black plug ORA Chip's Acropora, but I can't call it that because I didn't buy it from an authorized dealer"....Here it is...all from a tiny 1/2 inch frag:

CIMG1719.jpg

It's like 2 1/2 inches tall and has too many branches to count...

I also have a little frag of Blue millepora that also came from an ORA start...here it is:

CIMG1208.jpg

My milles just don't really look right usually because thay are wild long-haired looking way fuzzy things....

I don't have the real cutting edge ORA's but I love the ones I have....I also have a hunk that I grew out from an unrecognizable little bleached out frag...it turned into this"

bluetort3.jpg

People say "Oh, that's the ORA tort" but I think it's the Happy Corals tort myself...

Hope these mutts don't drag the thread down...

Mitch

Thanks, I am working a deal right now to swap a frag off a Red Planet for a matching size frag of my JC Highlighter Acro Chesterfield....the brightest coral ON EARTH I believe....

And I'm going to get a piece of NickReef's Pearlberr afte my tank has a few more weeks of grow out time....just had a major frag-a thon over the past couple months....

I also have some ORA neon green Bridsnest, but that's okay too....

Archived