Innovative Marine Aquariums

The ORA thread

glennr1978

Her is my BOP I just got

IMG_3587.jpg

sweet!

I got one last week myself, but it looks like complete crap under 10k. I'll post a pic in a few months when I switch back to a lamp with more blue in it.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Revelation :). Has anyone found the sweetspot in their tank for Red Planet (flow/lighting), mine already has nice PE, but it's only been in their a couple of hours -_-

Just an idea, but maybe it would be beneficial to update the first post with a list of ORA corals and their preferred lighting and flow to get best PE and colors?

That's a good idea, but if you read on some of them, it varies almost tank to tank. The pretty consistent report for the Red Planet though is mid to low in the tank with high flow to preserve the green. It will do fine higher up, but it will turn pretty much all red. I just mounted mine, poorly, about two inches off of the bottom in high flow and direct light. It's nice and fuzzy, so we'll see how the color holds.

Her is my BOP I just got

IMG_3587.jpg

Looks nice and fuzzy, congrats. :)

Thanks again Revelation, my Red Planet is about medium lighting right now with medium-high flow. Hope the color holds, right now the edge of the encrusting part is vibrant green with the rest all red.

Thats a nice Bird of Paradise, I almost bought one the other day but the polyps on it were all green so I was deterred.

Can I join the cool-kids club? I only have this little guy :(

Red-Planet Acro

DSC01640.jpg

I have my red planet also in mid-light, high flow and I have managed to keep the green. I've had this now a few months. BTW, you see the round area at the bottom? A few weeks ago I decided to re-mount it and I broke it off at the base, where it's encrusting. Well I noticed new growth on the encrusting part that was left! Maybe I'll have a new frag! ;)

Her is my BOP I just got

IMG_3587.jpg

What up Mario? Did you score that Bop at aquarium concepts? I was just in there yesterday and they didn't have any bop. There prices have gotten so ridiculous there. All zoas are straight up per polyp no breaks and there frags of sps are ora priced for pieces they get from trade in. They have really nice stuff , but there prices need to come in line a little. Let me know when you start selling frags of reverse pokerstar. ;)

Obi Juan kenobi
What up Mario? Did you score that Bop at aquarium concepts? I was just in there yesterday and they didn't have any bop. There prices have gotten so ridiculous there. All zoas are straight up per polyp no breaks and there frags of sps are ora priced for pieces they get from trade in. They have really nice stuff , but there prices need to come in line a little. Let me know when you start selling frags of reverse pokerstar. ;)

What up Smitty. No I got it at Neptune's, I know AC has gotten pretty pricey. You coming to the swap?

I have my red planet also in mid-light, high flow and I have managed to keep the green. I've had this now a few months. BTW, you see the round area at the bottom? A few weeks ago I decided to re-mount it and I broke it off at the base, where it's encrusting. Well I noticed new growth on the encrusting part that was left! Maybe I'll have a new frag! ;)

After I see how its doing in a couple weeks I'll probably break it off the plug, glue it down, and stick the plug in the frag tank to regrow lol :)

Mischeif Nite

Lovin' this thread....here's mine

Pearlberry

pearlberry12-29-08.jpg

I think this is my favorite right now...pic doesn't show the blue in the tips

Roscoe's....a lot cooler than I thought it was going to be

roscoes12-29-08.jpg

Borealis

borealis12-29-08.jpg

I also have a Red Planet that was placed poorly at the LFS, so it didn't have a lot of color, but was a nice size piece. I'm trying to get it to color up, but all I have right now is Pink Lemonade-not Red Planet. I'll try to get a picture soon.

Keep 'em comin'

Anyone using a dremel for the plugs? Cut them with a diamond wheel right where the plug tapers down and then use a sanding wheel to get it all the way to the coral and the plug is pretty much gone. It keeps the coral intact without it having to re-encrust.

It would work even better if I held it with something other than a pair of pliers.

Some of mine that's all I had to do but most had fully encrusted the plug. I got lucky with the Rose Mille when the vibration from the dremel worked it loose and ended up with everything still intact, even the spot of glue on the bottom of it

Mischeif Nite
Anyone using a dremel for the plugs? Cut them with a diamond wheel right where the plug tapers down and then use a sanding wheel to get it all the way to the coral and the plug is pretty much gone. It keeps the coral intact without it having to re-encrust.

It would work even better if I held it with something other than a pair of pliers.

That's what I've been doing with all mine so far. With the exception of the Borealis, the plugs have been pretty well encrusted.

Sounds like a good idea, I'm doing this tomorrow with my Red Planet.

Mischeif Nite

Here's my Red Planet.....had it since thanksgiving weekend and still not colored up that much....thinking it needs lower light

redplanet1-1-09.jpg

My Pearlberry is finally starting to color up and has had a small growth spurt. Did a Tech-D dip on it and a plumcrazy that was RTNing at the LFS to days ago. The plumcray has shown poylps for the first time in months and the Pearlberry polyp extension is much greater. Sorry for bad pics. All my money goes to coral, I stll have a 4 mega pixel camera.

post-35600-1231024985_thumb.jpg

Mischeif Nite
My Pearlberry is finally starting to color up and has had a small growth spurt. Did a Tech-D dip on it and a plumcrazy that was RTNing at the LFS to days ago. The plumcray has shown poylps for the first time in months and the Pearlberry polyp extension is much greater. Sorry for bad pics. All my money goes to coral, I stll have a 4 mega pixel camera.

Was your Pearlberry that encrusted when you got it?

Archived