Cultivated Reef

The ORA thread

glennr1978

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mine usually just snap off the plugs.

What do you guys think of the "birds of paradise"? I may pick one of these up next week.

just seen a pic of it on rc...i want 1 also

wow that is nice, and I am not much of a coral person. I have to stop by ORA one of these days, they are just down the road from me, about a half an hour. I have been getting their macro through a middle man just because it was easier that way, but maybe with the money I save I can be getting nice stuff like this. ORA has some real high quality stuff at reasonable prices.

I want a piece of the bird of paradise too! My LFs with the Red Planets is selling them for $54.95, gonna HAVE to get one now! I think the last few sps I want are Red planet, pearlberry, bird of paradise, and roscoes. I bet by the begging of next year I'll have no more room! Everytime I get money i spend it on corals.

My closest LFS that sells ORA frags is 60 miles away, and they charge $90 for the nicer/newer frags like Red Planet and Pearlberry. :( I guess I'll just wait for one of my local club members to frag theirs.

gulfsurfer101
My closest LFS that sells ORA frags is 60 miles away, and they charge $90 for the nicer/newer frags like Red Planet and Pearlberry. :( I guess I'll just wait for one of my local club members to frag theirs.

We are lucky to have now two that are offering ora frags. Not so lucky in a way that one is charging 95 dollars for the same red planet frag that is selling for far less at the other LFS. I took a look at that birds of paridise coral today online at my lfs and wasn't too far impressed. My system seems to not handle BN coral very well at all. I've gotten at least four frags from glenn already and all mine have succomb to tragic ends. All the other sps I get from him seems to grow like weeds though. I am loving my borealis frag though and ddr.phish is getting my baby frag that I made along with my Marshall island fuzzy green and yellow acro. I love that one mucho and looks exactly like the sunset monti I got from glenn. They'll make an interesting combonation in the reef together.

That Bird of Paradise is pretty, but I prefer the Seriotopora caliendrum <sp?> from Aquarium Specialty! :)

I have a Seritapora hystrix almost identical to that, only difference is the growth tips are white not green. Once it colors up the polyps should be an intense purple, more so than the bird of paradise. I got it from my favorite LFS Oceans Below, the owner Rob has a huge colony of it in a 37gal oceanic cube on the counter, when he butchred it he put all the frags in one of the 150gal coral tanks under 3x 250w radiums, wow does the purple come out under those!

i drive 1 hour each way to my "lfs", but its worth it dan is a good guy and has all premium live and dry goods

er1c_the_reefer

my pearlberry actually looks fairly decent. lost a lot of color when i broke it off that annoying ass ora plug though. and now i can't get it to grow for some reason.

IMG_1119.jpg

Anyone got a pic of a Joe the coral and pearlberry side by side? They look very alike, just saw what i think is a Joe at my LFS and really liked it, the bellina is sweet too. Wish i had a skimmer now!

Anyone got a pic of Joe? I googled it and looked on ORA's site but I can't find it.

Here you are sir!

Joe.jpg

I think I'm gonna get this instead of pearlberry, it's abouslutely stunning in person, plus it's $20-$30 cheaper than pearlberry.

Saw some pearl berry this week end.... * BLEHHH !! *

you must not have seen a nice one then!!!!! Mine is pretty damn sweet.

my pearlberry actually looks fairly decent. lost a lot of color when i broke it off that annoying ass ora plug though. and now i can't get it to grow for some reason.

IMG_1119.jpg

Do you dose potassium by any chance? I just started dosing last week and the blue in my pearlberry has intinsified quite a bit. unfortunately mine is in a part of the tank where it's basically impossible to get a good pic.

Here you are sir!

Joe.jpg

I think I'm gonna get this instead of pearlberry, it's abouslutely stunning in person, plus it's $20-$30 cheaper than pearlberry.

Looks exactly like the ORA tri-color.

Archived