ReefCleaners.org

The ORA thread

glennr1978

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not much for caps besides true purples, but there is a local club member that has the Supernatural and loooooves it. I'll have to see if I can dig up a picture of theirs.

I just decided that my "pearlberry" is really a tri-color valdia. And after seeing everyone elses true pearlberry i actually like my valdia more. The pearlberry just seems to be bone white whith baby blue to lavender tips, deffinatly not going to spend my money on it. Want a red planet for sure and maybe a green millie, i think i need some more green in the tank.

I just decided that my "pearlberry" is really a tri-color valdia. And after seeing everyone elses true pearlberry i actually like my valdia more. The pearlberry just seems to be bone white whith baby blue to lavender tips, deffinatly not going to spend my money on it. Want a red planet for sure and maybe a green millie, i think i need some more green in the tank.

wrong sir!!!

my pearlberry has more of a well.......pearl coloring to it. It has hints of yellow that turn into light green that fade into blue w/ royal blue tips. I've also got a valida, while it is a nice coral, it has nowhere near the coloring of the pearlberry.

(left)Marshall Island Yellow Fuzzy (top/center) Purple Plasma

a1.jpg

Center is a Verde & Nathan's Green Millepora is on the left (Clown Goby did that to the base)

a2.jpg

Edit: backwards description

Thanks Revaltion! :happy:

I'm going to have to get one of those Pearlberry frags from Glenn that's a beautiful piece!

Here is a couple more.

Center is a Blue Millepora (clown goby damaged this one also)

To the left is a Rose Millepora I just mounted.

a3.jpg

Edit: Green Birdsnest on the right.

As you can tell I'm a big fan of ORA, not so much with taking pictures though -_-

I have a Green Bali Slimer and a Hawkin's Blue Echinata not pictured. The Echinata didn't do very well, it lost most of its tissue when I got it. I was able to save a very small piece and it looks like it's doing great. Pictures in tank thread if you want to see it.

I remember reading about the Hawkins on RC and R2R a month or two ago and a lot of people have had it RTN within a couple of days of being in the tank. It sounds like they've been doing well more recently and it's possible that people got some really bad stock for awhile.

Maybe I'm not looking at the picture right, but it looks like the center one is the Rose Milli. I need to figure out how I'll have room for a Rose and a Blue, lol.

The Blue Mille has been through a rough time. A few months ago I had a near tank crash from a flood because of an ATO. The Nathan's Green, Blue, and Rose Mille were all in there at the time and the colors are just starting to come back. That and the white balance on the camera has me a bit puzzled.

But yeah diagonally above the Blue Mille on the left is the Rose just has a tint of green to it still. While trying to cut down the plug it came on I snapped the frag off the base, clean cut all the way to the plug and everything you see there has grown in my tank in 3-5 months. It was a true Rose Millepora, the brightest red I've ever seen on an SPS and one day in the near future it will be back to its original glory!

edit: grammar

Is there a website with photos of all the ORA frags? The ORA website has a few, but its not very comprehensive.

You're right! ORA definately needs to do some serious updating on their web-site. I would suggest you go to Live Aquarias' web-site and search there. They have an extensive list of ORA coral pics! ;)

Is there a website with photos of all the ORA frags? The ORA website has a few, but its not very comprehensive.

I've found that the easiest thing to do is to just tag onto these threads, also on RC and Reef2Reef, and just do a search for the coral you're looking at. The one I never see much of and would like to see more of is the Blue Voodoo.

I put the plug in a vise grip and use a hack saw. I have also used a pair of channel locks, squeezed hard ans it would sometimes "pop" off. Either way, the ORA plugs are a PITA!!

Yes they are, I just got my red planet and pearlberry today. I wasnt impressed at all with the purple plasma, the Joe coral on the other hand FTW!!!!!!!!

Red Planet's one of the best, of course you count, lol! Really, it's more like money-sink club. As for the plugs, I just popped the corals off at the base and left the encrusted parts on the plugs. I just move them around regularly so they can't encrust onto the eggcrate of the frag rack and just grow the frags out from there, if they can be encouraged to sprout new branches. The Hawkins is going to be a PITA, though. I think I might have a spot where I can leave it on the plug, so we'll see.

Thanks Revelation :). Has anyone found the sweetspot in their tank for Red Planet (flow/lighting), mine already has nice PE, but it's only been in their a couple of hours -_-

Just an idea, but maybe it would be beneficial to update the first post with a list of ORA corals and their preferred lighting and flow to get best PE and colors?

Archived