inTank Media Baskets

my 20L frag tank

glennr1978

sumpCU.jpg

Need some rubble?

Those discs would look nice with a few Zoas on them..huh (jk)

Rubble = yours for the taking

Im not joking, I need some Zoas..

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sumpCU.jpg

Need some rubble?

Those discs would look nice with a few Zoas on them..huh (jk)

Rubble = yours for the taking

YES!!! I'll take whatever you can spare!!!

Im not joking, I need some Zoas..

Patience Daniel son.

Oh wait, Daniel son needed balance, not patience.....nevermind then.

If your up and about around noon...call me...swing by if ya can.

Will do. we've got a Dr. appt. at 10:30. I'll give you a call after that.

i guess i should go to bed since I have to get up kinda early. 'nite.

Will do. we've got a Dr. appt. at 10:30. I'll give you a call after that.

i guess i should go to bed since I have to get up kinda early. 'nite.

see ya, good luck//

instead of spending all your money on rock why not just put a big bag of seachem matrix in there? great biomedia. this isn't a fish tank, and between the skimmer and matrix you'll have all the filtration you need. the matrix will also grow denitrifying bacteria over time. if prop can run a 75 on bioballs, a 20L on matrix should be no problem.

and it looks great so far! i went to walmart unsupervised the other night and came out with 2 90 qt sterlite containers and a steel shelf for a ghetto frag system... i just couldn't wait to save up for the 30 breeder :P

instead of spending all your money on rock why not just put a big bag of seachem matrix in there? great biomedia. this isn't a fish tank, and between the skimmer and matrix you'll have all the filtration you need. the matrix will also grow denitrifying bacteria over time. if prop can run a 75 on bioballs, a 20L on matrix should be no problem.

and it looks great so far! i went to walmart unsupervised the other night and came out with 2 90 qt sterlite containers and a steel shelf for a ghetto frag system... i just couldn't wait to save up for the 30 breeder :P

I have yet to spend a dime on LR, but I'll look into the this matrix product you speak of. Thanks for the tip!!

Ghetto frag systems are some of the best IMO.

I have yet to spend a dime on LR, but I'll look into the this matrix product you speak of. Thanks for the tip!!

Ghetto frag systems are some of the best IMO.

well free live rock beats buying matrix any day :P

but if it's between buyin live rock and buying matrix, the matrix will be cheaper. here's a link to seachem's product information page on it:

Seachem Matrix

well free live rock beats buying matrix any day :P

but if it's between buyin live rock and buying matrix, the matrix will be cheaper. here's a link to seachem's product information page on it:

Seachem Matrix

Thanks for the link, that's some interesting stuff. At only 10mm diameter it would fall through the eggcrate suspending the LR :( .

I gotta go check Props thread. I didn't know he was running that tank with just bio balls.

Thanks for the link, that's some interesting stuff. At only 10mm diameter it would fall through the eggcrate suspending the LR :( .

I gotta go check Props thread. I didn't know he was running that tank with just bio balls.

i would put the stuff in a media bag where it was getting good water flow and you should be fine. you don't want detritus or anything settling into it anyway.

awesome tank... i look foward to watching this thread and seeing it devlop. i hope to start my own frag tank one day and i like your ideas.

+10 to going all black racks/bottom/back

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

I added another 5ish lbs of LRR. My new T5 lamps are ordered and should be here tomorrow.

The combo i'm going with is:

FRONT

ATI-aquablue special

ATI-blue plus

UVL-aquasun

ATI-blue plus

BACK

I've also added an AC30 that I bought from r20crazy. He was EXTREMELY generous, and also included 2 rolls of pennies, a plastic spoon, and a few random pieces of plumbing parts in the box. It was pretty funny. Anyway, I put a little bit of ROX carbon, and GFO in a filter bag, and I also stuffed a little golf ball size chunk of cheato into the AC30.

I'm not sure if there is really even going to be much of a cycle since all of my LRR is from other established tank, and it was only in transit for about 10 minutes. I've tested a couple of times, and get undetectable readings for the big 3 parameters while cycling. There has been a little algae growth (which indicates some sort of cycle is / has gone on) so I've added about 10 snails. I'm not going to have any crabs in this tank.

I also bought a little Talbots damsel. It will either be fine in the already cycled tank, or it will speed up the cycle that has yet to happen. My 2 year old daughter calls him "Spot" so that will be his name.

Looks awesome. I have been wanting to build a Frag tank just like this. I am going to copy you. :D

I got a question. Did you just use regular Krylon to paint your egg crate? Will spray paint have any affect on water when it add it to the tank? Not to hijack but i have my 20L, Egg crate, Satellite (coming in) and a AC500 (fuge mod soon). Not sure about the Tunze just yet. Any other tips, pics or updates? Thanks.

I got a question. Did you just use regular Krylon to paint your egg crate? Will spray paint have any affect on water when it add it to the tank? Not to hijack but i have my 20L, Egg crate, Satellite (coming in) and a AC500 (fuge mod soon). Not sure about the Tunze just yet. Any other tips, pics or updates? Thanks.

You can use Krylon Fusion..

You can use Krylon Fusion..

What he said...

I really don't have any updates right now. The tank hasn't completely cycled yet so not much has changed.

Just read all of that...nice start to the tank. It's looking sweet already with out any coral. Are you just putting all the lr rubble under the rack? I'm going to be starting a frag tank pretty coon here, it will be a 29 gallon with 130 watts of pc. I'm mainly going to do lower light corals. I'm going to checkout some egg crate now. I really want it black so I'm hoping a local store will have is black. I'm also planning on a hob fuge.

Just read all of that...nice start to the tank. It's looking sweet already with out any coral. Are you just putting all the lr rubble under the rack? I'm going to be starting a frag tank pretty coon here, it will be a 29 gallon with 130 watts of pc. I'm mainly going to do lower light corals. I'm going to checkout some egg crate now. I really want it black so I'm hoping a local store will have is black. I'm also planning on a hob fuge.

Yeah all of the LRR is on a shelf suspended about 1/2" above the bottom of the tank underneath the frag racks. Good luck finding black egg crate locally. I know you can buy it online, but it's kinda pricey. If I were you I would just paint it.

Yeah all of the LRR is on a shelf suspended about 1/2" above the bottom of the tank underneath the frag racks. Good luck finding black egg crate locally. I know you can buy it online, but it's kinda pricey. If I were you I would just paint it.

Yeah I bought some white stuff at Lowe's. Is it hard to spray paint that stuff? It seems like I'm no good at spray painting.

what are you going to do if you need to get to the live rock rubble (lets say a frag drops down). You need to cut your zip ties and go in?

I need to find a nice rack design for my 40breeder.

what are you going to do if you need to get to the live rock rubble (lets say a frag drops down). You need to cut your zip ties and go in?

I need to find a nice rack design for my 40breeder.

This scenario is impossible considering the way my racks are. I won't have any frags that aren't mounted to either a frag plug or a piece of rubble that is too large to fit through the egg crate. But yeah, if it were to happen, it would be a royal PITA to retrieve the frag. In fact I would probably just leave it.

Yeah I bought some white stuff at Lowe's. Is it hard to spray paint that stuff? It seems like I'm no good at spray painting.

It's actually really easy to paint. Just use smooth, quick, even strokes. Nothing to it.

Archived