Coral Vue Hydros

my 20L frag tank

glennr1978

I really hate having frag racks in my display tank so I wanted to set up a frag tank. By some miracle my wife is actually cool with it, so it's game on!!! There is a catch though, she actually wants this thing to be in our bedroom. So that being stated, I want it to run as quietly as possible (no wal mart fans for this one!!). I also want to keep the build as simple as possible as well, here's what I'm thinking......

I'm going to use the 20L that I bought a few months ago in the Petco sale. I bought This skimmer the other night specifically for this tank. I'm leaning heavily toward this light fixture. I really like the simplicity of it with one cord and all. Although, I still haven't ruled out running a halide over the tank. What do you guys think?

I plan on building frag racks very similar to what Prop built in his 75g. The only thing I want to do different is I will have my LR (about 20lbs) underneath the racks since I don't want to run a sump at this point (I want it simple remember!!).

For flow I could use this...(K3)

DSC01100.jpg

or one of these (modded 6025's)....

DSC01099.jpg

I'm not sure if I will use either of the 6025's because I think they may be a little too powerful for this tank. So as of right now I'm leaning toward using the K3, and buying a K2 from somebody (PM me if you have one for sale ;) ).

This tank will mostly house SPS frags that I cut from livestock in my 40g, and stuff that I may get in trade later on.

I haven't really thought about the tank any further than what I've posted so far. I'm completely open to suggestions, lets hear 'em!

Here's the tank on the stand in my garage.

DSC01101.jpg

simple sheet of egg crate today, kicka$$ frag racks tomorrow!!!

DSC01102.jpg

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suggest you hurry, and start taking frags out of your show tank so I can buy some from you ;) .. Sounds like a good plan, glad your wife let you do it. You should be jumping for joy..

clownfish1124

this is great! I'm getting it sundial tomorrow and I'll review it then or on Thursday. Really happy for you that your wife let you setup another tank!

I suggest you hurry, and start taking frags out of your show tank so I can buy some from you ;) .. Sounds like a good plan, glad your wife let you do it. You should be jumping for joy..

I am!! it's all about timing with her. If I ask when she's in a good mood I've got a much better chance of getting what I want. Seems to work that way in pretty much every situation, lol.

this is great! I'm getting it sundial tomorrow and I'll review it then or on Thursday. Really happy for you that your wife let you setup another tank!

me too!!

i'll keep a lookout for your review.

Skimmer will work, however its gonna eat up some room in the tank. That light will work also, but i would change out the stock bulbs. Oops is that the 30" verison? Just make the rocks fit under the tall rack if your making it like prop's. Are you using existing water and rocks or is this gonna be a new cycle?

what about an AIO design to hide everything and make it look "simple"

I thought about it, but i think I'm going to keep it even simpler than that. I'm just going to put the skimmer off to one side of the tank, get a little soap dish for chaeto, put the LR under the racks and be done with it.

The only drawback I forsee by setting up the tank like this is I won't have a reverse photoperiod between the display and refugium (since I won't have one). I'm really not sure what kind of ph swings I will have. i suppose i could run a HOB refugium.

Btw, I'm going to run the tank BB, and have the LR suspended about an inch off the bottom of the tank.

Skimmer will work, however its gonna eat up some room in the tank. That light will work also, but i would change out the stock bulbs. Oops is that the 30" verison? Just make the rocks fit under the tall rack if your making it like prop's. Are you using existing water and rocks or is this gonna be a new cycle?

If the skimmer takes up that much room I could probably modify the stand to fit a 10g sump, but I reallly don't want to have to do that.

Yeah, from the little bit of research that I've done the light is pretty good, but most do switch out the bulbs. I really don't know much about T5's so I need to figure out which bulbs would be best.

I have also worked out a trade with the guy selling the Deltec MCE300. I will likely still use the Tunze on this tank since it's reportedly very quiet. I'm really not sure what I'll use the Deltec on???? I wasn't sure that the deal on the Deltec was going to happen so I went ahead and bought the Tunze. Now the deal is pretty much done on the Deltec too!

The 9002 arrived today. Wow, this thing is really small. It's not going to take up much real estate in the tank at all. I will likely be ordering the sundial 4x's 24w T5 fixture (gonna run the stock bulbs for a little while, but will definitely be upgrading in the very near future) in about a week. After that, I'm pretty much set for equipment.

Hey Gulf, how bout hooking me up with some of that LR rubble I gave you?? I'm sure I could come up with a frag or two for trade.

9002 ready to rock.

DSC01111.jpg

I made a little progress tonight. i got the back painted, and the racks almost done. i still need to build the rack along the bottom of the tank that will not only support the LR, but will help strengthen the entire rack structurally. Then I'm going to paint the racks black.

DSC01126.jpg

DSC01125.jpg

DSC01124.jpg

DSC01123.jpg

I also need to build a little center brace to reinforce the rack a little more.

screw it, I'm going back out to the garage and getting this thing atleast built tonight. The paint can wait until tomorrow though.

i did a 20l fragtank. with same height frag rack. hob fuge with chaeto. 96w quad pc lights.

the problem i found is heat issues. i placed a fan but then when i'd ome back from work, it would be too cold. i suggest getting a chiller for it. t5's might run hotter. the temps were getting up to 95+

i did a 20l fragtank. with same height frag rack. hob fuge with chaeto. 96w quad pc lights.

the problem i found is heat issues. i placed a fan but then when i'd ome back from work, it would be too cold. i suggest getting a chiller for it. t5's might run hotter. the temps were getting up to 95+

Thanks for the heads up, what kind of pumps were you using for water circulation?

Let's see those racks painted....

btw, I'm thinking 125 upgrade, so if ya come across any good hardware lemme know.

you're killing me man!!!!

I've been wanting a bigger tank for a while, but Momma says no :( . I'll let you know if I find anything.

looks nice and sleek! Can't wait to see this thing full of bright SPS!!

me too!!

I'll have plenty to put in it once it's ready.

Wow glennr1978, your frag tank looks really nice! Looking at your 40g, you would need a frag tank sooner or later and I think many are gonna be more than happy when your frag tank is up and ready with lotsa frags :P

Just two curious question. The shops dun sell black racks over at your place? Cos you painted those racks black right? I've got my rack originally black.

Another question is what do you use to paint the racks? Is the paint reefsafe?

Wow glennr1978, your frag tank looks really nice! Looking at your 40g, you would need a frag tank sooner or later and I think many are gonna be more than happy when your frag tank is up and ready with lotsa frags :P

Just two curious question. The shops dun sell black racks over at your place? Cos you painted those racks black right? I've got my rack originally black.

Another question is what do you use to paint the racks? Is the paint reefsafe?

yeah I really am going to need this tank, it's not just me wanting it.

I used krylon fusion to paint the racks, and yes, it is reef safe.

Here's the frag rack I have in my 40g now. It's pretty loaded up and if I had the plugs and more room I could frag som more.

DSC01178.jpg

yeah I really am going to need this tank, it's not just me wanting it.

I used krylon fusion to paint the racks, and yes, it is reef safe.

Did I tell you that the paint job looks very nice and neat. By the way, I wouldn't know that you have painted it if you didn't say :happy:

And I like the idea of the tank background and crate black too. As it will really show the colors of your frags in there and is hids the sightly algae too :P

Archived