Innovative Marine Aquariums

my 20L frag tank

glennr1978

Very nice, Prob gonna wait till tues to buy all the crap for my sump, your off and I might need your help that day to make sure I buy the right stuff..

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks awesome, makes me anxious to get the 30 breeder frag tank i've been dreaming about going.

one thing though, speaking from experience with those racks at a store: put vertical risers on the racks, like prop's tank, so frags can't get knocked off into the unreachable space behind the racks.

Very nice, Prob gonna wait till tues to buy all the crap for my sump, your off and I might need your help that day to make sure I buy the right stuff..

I can do that, just let me know when and where.

looks awesome, makes me anxious to get the 30 breeder frag tank i've been dreaming about going.

one thing though, speaking from experience with those racks at a store: put vertical risers on the racks, like prop's tank, so frags can't get knocked off into the unreachable space behind the racks.

I thought about that. The way it's all going to be put together I will easily be able to just lift the entire rack out of the tank, grab the frag that fell, and put the rack back in.

Did I tell you that the paint job looks very nice and neat. By the way, I wouldn't know that you have painted it if you didn't say :happy:

And I like the idea of the tank background and crate black too. As it will really show the colors of your frags in there and is hids the sightly algae too :P

One thing I've noticed is that white racks tend to really "glow" under halides creating a lot of haze in pics. Painting them black will eliminate that problem. Like you said, I want the colors in the corals to be the main focus, not the racks.

I thought about that. The way it's all going to be put together I will easily be able to just lift the entire rack out of the tank, grab the frag that fell, and put the rack back in.

haha you do that a couple times and then tell me how easy it is

an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure ;)

but really, the tank looks like it's turning out well :)

haha you do that a couple times and then tell me how easy it is

an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure ;)

but really, the tank looks like it's turning out well :)

Shouldn't be too bad. Remove the light, lift out the rack, grab frag, replace the rack (slooooowly). Nothing to it.........I hope.

Shouldn't be too bad. Remove the light, lift out the rack, grab frag, replace the rack (slooooowly). Nothing to it.........I hope.

come on man, or you could not have to do anything. 10 minutes making the extra part of the rack one time vs. 20 minutes fiddling with corals at least once if not 2, 3, 4, or more times. just tryin to help here.

come on man, or you could not have to do anything. 10 minutes making the extra part of the rack one time vs. 20 minutes fiddling with corals at least once if not 2, 3, 4, or more times. just tryin to help here.

Yeah, you're probably right. I think I'll go ahead and make the modification to the rack afterall.

Yeah, you're probably right. I think I'll go ahead and make the modification to the rack afterall.

you'll thank me later ;)

can't wait to see it full of water!

oh, and if you're looking for a kick ass light, kmitch has a 2 month old 250w pfo pendant, bulb, and (non-pfo) ballast for $200 in the classified section. i was so close to buying it but i don't want to rack up my credit card any more.

You might also want to reconsider the bedroom location. This is a frag tank, and you will have locals stopping in to purchase frags. All these strange people will be in your bedroom looking at corals. Just a thought.

You might also want to reconsider the bedroom location. This is a frag tank, and you will have locals stopping in to purchase frags. All these strange people will be in your bedroom looking at corals. Just a thought.

Nah, I know pretty much all of the local reefers (all 6 of them, lol). It wouldn't be that big of a deal if they had to see my room. My wife may think otherwise though, and she's the one insisting it go in our bedroom. You may have just provided the reasining I need for NOT keeping the tank in the bedroom.

Honestly though, I plan to do most of my selling / trading out of this tank online.

you'll thank me later ;)

can't wait to see it full of water!

oh, and if you're looking for a kick ass light, kmitch has a 2 month old 250w pfo pendant, bulb, and (non-pfo) ballast for $200 in the classified section. i was so close to buying it but I don't want to rack up my credit card any more.

Yeah I saw her thread in the classifieds, not a bad deal. I really want to give T5's a shot though. I'm all for halides, but don't want to add a ton of fans or a chiller.

I am starting to reconsider the sundial. I might just build my own retro system, and a canopy. We'll see........

Nah, I know pretty much all of the local reefers (all 6 of them, lol). It wouldn't be that big of a deal if they had to see my room. My wife may think otherwise though, and she's the one insisting it go in our bedroom. You may have just provided the reasining I need for NOT keeping the tank in the bedroom.

Honestly though, I plan to do most of my selling / trading out of this tank online.

Yeah I saw her thread in the classifieds, not a bad deal. I really want to give T5's a shot though. I'm all for halides, but don't want to add a ton of fans or a chiller.

I am starting to reconsider the sundial. I might just build my own retro system, and a canopy. We'll see........

with a built in fan and only a 250 you won't need a chiller. or let me rephrase, you SHOULDN'T need a chiller. hang it 12" over the tank and that big fan she installed in it will do the job.

with a built in fan and only a 250 you won't need a chiller. or let me rephrase, you SHOULDN'T need a chiller. hang it 12" over the tank and that big fan she installed in it will do the job.

do you work for comission or something, lol??

I'm pretty much sold on T5's.....for today anyway.

gulfsurfer101

Did you hook up the AM's with some of that green bali, if so I think it is now in my tank. The frag disk's look really familiar. I also picked up some bali purple enchaite something, maybe you can help me identify it better. I plan on making that 20L I got from you into a AOI frag tank since I decided to tear it down after the nem croaked. BTW T5's are the best way to light a 20L I think.

Did you hook up the AM's with some of that green bali, if so I think it is now in my tank. The frag disk's look really familiar. I also picked up some bali purple enchaite something, maybe you can help me identify it better. I plan on making that 20L I got from you into a AOI frag tank since I decided to tear it down after the nem croaked.

nope, Dave got my green slimer. It always had great color, and encrusted the hell out of the plug it was on, but never really grew much in my tank. Since I had it for a bout a year and didn't see much growth out of it I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to pass it on to some one else. Hopefully it will take off in his tank.

Looks like you got hooked up pretty good at AM!!! I'm staying out of that place until I get this tank up and running. Everytime I go in there this build gets put on the back burner. there's just too many deals there, it's hard to say no!!

You gotta come by and see the pearlberry frag that I got. This thing is seriously bad ass.

gulfsurfer101

Just might have to, I'm liking that ora bottle brush acro I got from them. I finally see some PE after lights out today in my tank. That huge purple milli frag I got from you last time is starting to encrust over the glue already and has crazy PE. A frag tank is what you need going with all the cool stuff you got going on in your tank and how crazy fast it grows for you.

been in the garage finishing up the frag racks. The new "frag gaurd" makes the entire structure much more stable. I was going to snap a pic, but the camera is dead. I'll get one soon though.

This thing is almost ready for water.......it just won't have a light for a while, lol.

Archived