Coral Vue Hydros

my 20L frag tank

glennr1978

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you ever have any problems with GHA growing on your frag rack?

Yeah, a little bit, I'm working on that now.

I've added one of these little guys, and up'ed the amount of GFO in the tank. The GHA is only in 3 small spots in the tank, but it's pretty thick. I'm hoping that my combo attack on it will get the job done.

I also added a tiny little 1.5" sixline to munch on any future parasites that may arise. I think i will add one more small fish, but haven't made any decisions on what kind exactly. I'm open to suggestions......

I would still like an ORA b&w misbar. It really wouldn't be all that beneficial, but they look really cool.

If you have anything that you feed mysis or the like you will regret the six line! My candy canes only multiplied 2 heads till my fish went carpet surfing about a year after I got him.

If you have anything that you feed mysis or the like you will regret the six line! My candy canes only multiplied 2 heads till my fish went carpet surfing about a year after I got him.

Luckily for me (and my wallet), I haven't been bitten by the LPS bug.........yet!! So as of now, it's pretty much going to be all SPS. I only feed DT's oyster eggs in my 40g, and plan to do the same here. Thanks for the heads up though. just out of curiousity, did you have problems with the sixline stealing food if you fed after lights out?

your wallet would be luckier if you were to have LPS, not SPS

not the LPS I like. Many of the ones that really catch my interest go for $150+ per very small frag.

not the LPS I like. Many of the ones that really catch my interest go for $150+ per very small frag.

Like what?

Yeah, a little bit, I'm working on that now.

I've added one of these little guys, and up'ed the amount of GFO in the tank. The GHA is only in 3 small spots in the tank, but it's pretty thick. I'm hoping that my combo attack on it will get the job done.

I also added a tiny little 1.5" sixline to munch on any future parasites that may arise. I think i will add one more small fish, but haven't made any decisions on what kind exactly. I'm open to suggestions......

I would still like an ORA b&w misbar. It really wouldn't be all that beneficial, but they look really cool.

Oh yeah. Whats a GFO?

hey bud! hows the frag tank goin?? hows the new bulbs? look good? got any new pics? hope all is well!

mark

It's going, I wouldn't say it's going well, or not going well, but it is going. The new bulbs are pretty good, definitely brighter than the stock bulbs. I don't have any pics, but I do have another Vortech MP20 on the way. I haven't decided if it will go in my 40g, or in this tank. If I decide to put it in this one it will likely produce some cool little waves, which I will not only get a few pics of, but video too.

swwet! video would be awesome!!

you dont think that the mp20 is too big for ur frag tank? just wonderin?

nah, it can be dialed down if necessary. It'll probably end up in my 40g anyway...

It's going, I wouldn't say it's going well, or not going well, but it is going. The new bulbs are pretty good, definitely brighter than the stock bulbs. I don't have any pics, but I do have another Vortech MP20 on the way. I haven't decided if it will go in my 40g, or in this tank. If I decide to put it in this one it will likely produce some cool little waves, which I will not only get a few pics of, but video too.

MP20... Whew! So does this mean the other 6025 and k3 will be up for sale? Jeez Glenn, you said you were going to keep killer frags but I didn't know by this you meant the goby eating kind. LOL!

MP20... Whew! So does this mean the other 6025 and k3 will be up for sale? Jeez Glenn, you said you were going to keep killer frags but I didn't know by this you meant the goby eating kind. LOL!

nah, the vortech will likely go in my 40g. yeah, that was pretty crazy!! I've never knew that zoos could / would eat an entire fish.

• 3 weeks later...
Update:

Hair algae, lots of it. I up'd the Mg level, GFO, and am going to try 0 light for a couple of days. We'll see.....

That sucks...I ran into that before I had anything in the tank and when I was waiting for my new light to come. So I just took the rack out and scrubbed it down. Now not a speck!

That sucks...I ran into that before I had anything in the tank and when I was waiting for my new light to come. So I just took the rack out and scrubbed it down. Now not a speck!

I'm not all that worried about it, the tank is still pretty new and it's going to go through these phases. I only have a few snails in my CUC, probably should get a few more, and maybe a few hermits.

I've read about alot of people pumping Mg levels to get rid of bryopsis, but apparently it works for hair algae too. I figured I would try a 3 way attack with Mg, no light, and GFO (even though my test kit reads 0 PO4).

The only thing I'm worried about is my skimmer going nuts and overflowing. I won't be here very much over the next few days (going out of town today, then my daughter will be born friday morning), so I set the skimmer to skim a little drier than usual. I hope it works....

Yeah it will take some time. I was lucky because I had my tank set up with pcs when all the hair algae grew then decided to go MH and had to wait 2 weeks for it. So the tank went that long without light plus I cleaned it off.

Too much going on at home these days, frag tanks' gotta go (for now). I'll be tearing it down tomorrow.

No, nothing will be for sale. This is only temporary.

Archived