Pod Your Reef

my 20L frag tank

glennr1978

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and so it begins........

I wonder how many pages of useless BS we can fill this thread up with? lol.

I can tell you from personal experience-- A LOT!!!

Have you seen my 16g tank thread???

I'm too far ahead, you'll never beat me. B)

So do I paint the bottom of the tank or not?

Sure, BUT, save some for the weekend. And we might thave enough left over to paint that 125 ...

Not sure ....that's a pretty BIG tank...lol

Just had to toss that in there.

Thanks for the frag.....

gulfsurfer101

I got that T5 light fixture from aquatraders sitting around after that 20L tear down, I will trade it for some SPS frags if you want it. It's got about three months of use on it for no more than 6 hours a day. If not I will probably just take it to AM's and do some trading there but most of their SPS looked like it was fading out pretty fast.

i'm just sayin man, halides > t5's, and you'll be able to keep acros. i've been about able to touch a 250w MH bulb with a 3.5" fan on it.

ORA Acropora Staghorn "Voodoo"

MG_8703.jpg

T5 Fixture / yep it's grown a little. I'm not bashing Hallides, as I used to have one on my 20L.

When the said specimen is placed properly, does pretty well under T5 imo.

Fyi, I have several SPS...all doing well. ( Thanks Glenn )

Now, when the upgrade comes along...I'll use Hallides again.

Don't hate -

D

G-sorry to jack your thread.

MG_8703.jpg

T5 Fixture / yep it's grown a little. I'm not bashing Hallides, as I used to have one on my 20L.

Don't hate -

D

Thanks for posting the pic. Now I see how you want to frag it. Makes better sense now!!

MG_8703.jpg

Don't hate -

D

i didn't say t5's sucked, i just said MH was better for sps, which he has a lot of. and there's a lot of acro species that WONT live under 4x24w t5's, and many that just won't grow worth a flip. MH = keep any light loving critter you want.

i didn't say t5's sucked, i just said MH was better for sps, which he has a lot of. and there's a lot of acro species that WONT live under 4x24w t5's, and many that just won't grow worth a flip. MH = keep any light loving critter you want.

"Yes Dear"...*nodds head slowly up and down*..."how could I have been so unappreciative".

Now, back to the Frag Tank thread ...

Thats total BS about T5 with sps. I have T5 over my frag tub and acros are growing better than under my MH. T5 with good reflectors and the right bulbs can blow MH away.

Thats total BS about T5 with sps. I have T5 over my frag tub and acros are growing better than under my MH. T5 with good reflectors and the right bulbs can blow MH away.

there's a big difference between 6x39w high end bulbs and 4x24w current bulbs. 6 will grow the hell out of some acros. he want a 4x24w current sundial, which is not even close to your fixture. but it would be cheaper to put this halide over the tank than a 6 bulb fixture. and the halide will actually fit, unlike a 3 foot t5 fixture.

there's a big difference between 6x39w high end bulbs and 4x24w current bulbs. 6 will grow the hell out of some acros. he want a 4x24w current sundial, which is not even close to your fixture. but it would be cheaper to put this halide over the tank than a 6 bulb fixture. and the halide will actually fit, unlike a 3 foot t5 fixture.

I'm going to be replacing all of the bulbs in the sundial.

However, if she keeps dropping the price on the halide I might consider it!!

good call on painting the bottom black....

DSC01273.jpg

DSC01272.jpg

I'm going to be replacing all of the bulbs in the sundial.

However, if she keeps dropping the price on the halide I might consider it!!

good call on painting the bottom black....

DSC01273.jpg

DSC01272.jpg

painted bottom looks great :)

i will most likely copy you if if ever get my frag tank set up.

and let us know how the sundial works out. I'm curious to see if t5's are really THAT good, because i have heard several people complain about acro growth with only 4 bulbs. but maybe with quality bulbs and the new SLRs you'll be OK.

Well after alot of indecision I went ahead and ordered the sundial. I did quite a bit of searching around the net and couldn't find a better deal for my application. I'm going to keep the light stock for a couple of weeks, but will be replacing the bulbs before the first frag is ever dropped into this tank.

Live rock will be added this weekend, and the light should be here at the beginning of next week (I'm guessing). I still need a heater and ATO. I may also add a phosban reactor w/ carbon and GFO. And also a HOB fuge.

I guess it's time to start thinking about a fish or two. I'll probably keep a 6 line, and some sort of damsel. Nothing fancy in this tank.

cancel it, there one for sale on here for $175.

linky

nm, its 24" not 30" sorry

lol, I got all excited about that one myself until i realized it was a 24". I got mine for $209 shipped, not bad.

gulfsurfer101

That's an awsome light and after seeing a tank using one on here I found myself wanting one. I Like the look of that tank bottom, I wish I had thought of that before dropping fifty bucks on two bags of black sand on my AP24. I like those HOB fuges too.

Build me a frag tank..........

okay, but you gotta build me a 10g contest tank!!

That's an awsome light and after seeing a tank using one on here I found myself wanting one. I Like the look of that tank bottom, I wish I had thought of that before dropping fifty bucks on two bags of black sand on my AP24. I like those HOB fuges too.

yeah the light really does seem like some decent bang for the buck. It's simple, which is what I want this tank to be all about.

Well laides and gentlemen, there's been a change of plans :o .

The tank is going to go in my teeny tiny little laundry room instead of the bedroom. Common sense set in and my wife realized having it in our bedroom probably wasn't the best idea. I win.

Archived