Cultivated Reef

Neuwave's Edge of the Reef

neuwave

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
albertthiel
Daily afternoon update.

Great shots neuwave of an aquarium that is obviously doing super well thanks to excellent care. Keep up the good work and keep posting the pictures you take ... they demonstrate that you are running an excellently well maintained reef.

Albert

Incredible nano :wub:

Thanks Maria. I have a secret nano mangrove bonsai rimless tank in the works. I've hidden pictures of it randomly in the thread. Should be operational soon. Just have to wait to grab the LEDs and the mangrove tree.

Great shots neuwave of an aquarium that is obviously doing super well thanks to excellent care. Keep up the good work and keep posting the pictures you take ... they demonstrate that you are running an excellently well maintained reef.

Albert

Thanks Albert. I'm still working on my photo skills and color. Hopefully I'll have a macro lens and a tripod in the next few months. But I'll make due for now. This tank has aged nicely but hopefully towards the end of the year I'll have a bigger rimless to expand this one. I'm gonna design my ultimate system and not holding back.

Thanks Maria. I have a secret nano mangrove bonsai rimless tank in the works. I've hidden pictures of it randomly in the thread. Should be operational soon. Just have to wait to grab the LEDs and the mangrove tree.

Thanks Albert. I'm still working on my photo skills and color. Hopefully I'll have a macro lens and a tripod in the next few months. But I'll make due for now. This tank has aged nicely but hopefully towards the end of the year I'll have a bigger rimless to expand this one. I'm gonna design my ultimate system and not holding back.

I gotta see this myself. Lol I can't wait for you to plan out your super high tech automatic rimless cleaness awesomeness tank toward this year.

super high tech automatic rimless cleaness awesomeness tank .

Ha ha ha. Awesome description. I'm cracking up. :lol:

what type of clowns are those hosting the Rbta?

and amazing tank!!

Thanks

The clowns are true perc "classics". Lol

albertthiel

The one you have looks great to say the least. I will be most interested in seeing what you come up with for the new tank and what will be different that may or may not have been tried yet .... IMO the improvements that we can still make are in the design of the sump (larger and maybe two or three part attached to each other) as IMO that is where additional techniques can still be implemented. Good luck with your design ... keep us posted Neuwave ... Thanks

On mangroves : you can go to www.athiel.com and on the main page top left click on search and then enter mangroves in the search box and you'll find a number of articles that deal with them FWIW

Another source for inverts etc ... and mangroves is http://www.tropicoriuminc.com/home.php

You can click on the Mangrove link too

Albert

Can't wait to see the new tank! I will be in Orlando in August for the Star Wars Celebration..I am hoping to stop at WWC :P

The one you have looks great to say the least. I will be most interested in seeing what you come up with for the new tank and what will be different that may or may not have been tried yet .... IMO the improvements that we can still make are in the design of the sump (larger and maybe two or three part attached to each other) as IMO that is where additional techniques can still be implemented. Good luck with your design ... keep us posted Neuwave ... Thanks

On mangroves : you can go to www.athiel.com and on the main page top left click on search and then enter mangroves in the search box and you'll find a number of articles that deal with them FWIW

Albert

Thanks. I can't wait to build the new system but uit will be a while. Need funds. ha ha

My sump used to be updated until I moved homes. It was a couple of years ago. While pulling it out of the uhaul we had lovely Florida storm. Between the tank weight and the dolly, and the rain the tank slipped and cracked all the piping and ruined my last sump. So this one we put together in less than a few minutes. But it works for now. I have a cryptic sump on my mangrove nano tank. It really polishes the water nicely. So it will be an experiment within itself. The amount of sponges and tunicates growing in the darkness is incredible.

Thanks for the link on the mangroves. I'm hoping to stop by the mangrove farm in the next few weeks to pick out a tree. Can't wait.

albertthiel
Thanks. I can't wait to build the new system but uit will be a while. Need funds. ha ha

My sump used to be updated until I moved homes. It was a couple of years ago. While pulling it out of the uhaul we had lovely Florida storm. Between the tank weight and the dolly, and the rain the tank slipped and cracked all the piping and ruined my last sump. So this one we put together in less than a few minutes. But it works for now. I have a cryptic sump on my mangrove nano tank. It really polishes the water nicely. So it will be an experiment within itself. The amount of sponges and tunicates growing in the darkness is incredible.

Thanks for the link on the mangroves. I'm hoping to stop by the mangrove farm in the next few weeks to pick out a tree. Can't wait.

Thanks for the update and sorry to read about what happened during the move but ... yes I know ... the unexpected is sometimes just around the corner when we least expect it.

Good luck with the mangroves ... Keep up the super looking tank

Albert

Can't wait to see the new tank! I will be in Orlando in August for the Star Wars Celebration..I am hoping to stop at WWC :P

Heck ya, it's always a good idea to stop by the LFS during a trip. WWC is always a good stop especially since they got their BIG tank up and running. And be careful with your wallet cause you'll be tempted to buy everything. But you would need an entire day just to stop all the all the stores in Orlando. If you had time you could see Ocean blue, aquaria studio, Tops shelf aquatics, WWC, Oceans direct, Sea in the City and much more!

Thanks for the update and sorry to read about what happened during the move but ... yes I know ... the unexpected is sometimes just around the corner when we least expect it.

Good luck with the mangroves ... Keep up the super looking tank

Albert

Ya, I'm starting to get use to any unfortunate events. Just gotta take them as they come and be as ready as you can. Oh yea, I can't wait for the mangrove.

Couple extra pics for fun.

That green pest will begone soon. Lol this colony had a brown slime that began to dissolve the bam bam zoas. After a dip and water change, the zoas fended off the infection almost have the hole filed back in.

cf998fdf.jpg

He is a tricolor bonsai that is making a huge come back and has encrusted about 2 inches in diameter. Can't wait for it to really start sprouting. Those zoas to the left were free from WWC and they remained closed for almost a year and then one day went from 2 polyps to tons.

This will also help me see how fast it grows over time. Can't wait till it starts to really take off and I get progression pics.

081070e0.jpg

Couple late night pics.

This chalice gets better and better.

So far it's baby/sky blue with red eyes and yellow mouth slit in each blood red eye. The right side has really developed a solid red rim and blue goes right to the rim. The red on the left side just grew back after a fight with the acan. Never got back the blue and the red expanded after the heal.

273a81f7.jpg

Acan echinata

20c7bdd6.jpg

Acan lord developing more colors in th polyps.

fe3910e8.jpg

Daily afternoon update.

af2af3a0.jpg

a2c82961.jpg

That's is ridiculious insane! Your scape looks hella nice from this view. Daym did even know you have a monti cap colonies going on that large. Lol

Where did you get your rbta from? I'm currently looking for a small size for a decent price wise. Did you clown hosted right away or how did you train it to host?

That's is ridiculious insane! Your scape looks hella nice from this view. Daym did even know you have a monti cap colonies going on that large. Lol

Where did you get your rbta from? I'm currently looking for a small size for a decent price wise. Did you clown hosted right away or how did you train it to host?

The monti was hiding behind the coralline algae. Ha ha

The bottom broke off during the last cleaning. But its growing nicely.

The pink on the left was from the guy who gets the stuff from TSA. The middle orange one is from sea in the city near downtown Orlando. The third orange one to the right is from OD.

Can't wait for the acros to grow in. Then I'm hoping the side shot shows some real depth.

At first the smaller nem from OD was so small the clowns didn't notice it and used the Duncan as a substitute. Of which I don't like because it marks the clown with black spot stings. But when the original small orange one fully inflated to its max, the clowns would always rush over and jump in.

Then the pink one was added and then the middle orange was added last. When the top of the rock began to expand with nems, the clowns went straight in and haven't moved since. So once the volume of nem's increased in size then the clowns increased interest. Sometimes I think if a nem is too small a clown will hesitate to go in a strange new nem. Just a theory.

albertthiel
At first the smaller nem from OD was so small the clowns didn't notice it and used the Duncan as a substitute. Of which I don't like because it marks the clown with black spot stings.

Are you referring to the Duncan coral as that is if I am correct not an anemone since it has a hard skeleton

Check this out : http://www.flickr.com/photos/pipsqueaks_dad/5777770104/

and let us know ... also they seem to always have their tentacles out, day and night, with or without light.

Just wondering

Albert

Ha, finally some decent pics of this tank! Great pics!!! Keep them coming!

Thanks, I was usually spending money on coral than a new camera. Just one more frag I told myself..ha ha But finally I buckled down and bought a camera.

Since you asked I'll post a couple more. Scroll down. :happy:

Are you referring to the Duncan coral as that is if I am correct not an anemone since it has a hard skeleton

Check this out : http://www.flickr.com/photos/pipsqueaks_dad/5777770104/

and let us know ... also they seem to always have their tentacles out, day and night, with or without light.

Just wondering

Albert

Yes that's the one. Mine has begun to table which isn't the norm. The original colony was a complete table which was what caught my eye about it. Others I have seen develop into a ball shape or have a long extensive branching pattern. The tentacles are always out during the day and mostly close at night with about a third open on occasion at night.

One of the original common name was whisker coral. It can retract and open which what looks like a anemone but has a hard skeleton. Even a small piece of flesh can attach itself to a rock without any skeleton and begin a new colony. Anyone who has one knows they grow fast and eat like pigs. That reminds me I need to frag mine sooner or later as it is growing into a monster.

Moar pics.

Pic of the Duncan.

f6eac19b.jpg

Too much blue but the tips are nice and pink.

41af50e7.jpg

Hermits hanging out.

c6505133.jpg

Whoa congrats on the new camera! Pictures looking better each time you post up! Now you can take nice FTS and all your corals.

Whoa congrats on the new camera! Pictures looking better each time you post up! Now you can take nice FTS and all your corals.

Thanks buddy. I need a tripod next. You going this weekend to WWC? I work Saturday but Ill probably check out it Sunday. Julian sprung and reef builders are suppose to be there so sounds intriguing.

Thanks buddy. I need a tripod next. You going this weekend to WWC? I work Saturday but Ill probably check out it Sunday. Julian sprung and reef builders are suppose to be there so sounds intriguing.

I work Saturday also, but might be able to come out on Sunday if I don't go to clear water this weekend. Do you need to borrow a tripod? I get lend you one since I don't take much with it.

I work Saturday also, but might be able to come out on Sunday if I don't go to clear water this weekend. Do you need to borrow a tripod? I get lend you one since I don't take much with it.

Clearwater is nice, especially for the family. Well if you don't go then I'll text you for any "finds" at WWC. So that way you don't miss out. Ha ha

I'm planing I getting an tripod soon anyway, thanks though. I'm actually ordered one already, lol. I want to buy a dolly to attach to the tripod to make vids later on. Get that slow motion moment with the dolly. Could be sweet.

Yeah that would be awesome to keep me updates on WWC. I can't wait to go down to Clearwater because of what I heard from others client on my shop. So I am really looking forward to this mini trip. Any good lfs down there you know? Lol

A dolly would be great for recording! Since you have wood floor, there is not gonna be any problem moving still with the camera. What kind did you get? Hope you got macro lens also. I need to get myself one too. It's really hard taking picture when you can't get that really up close.

Archived