Pod Your Reef

UNOFFICIAL SUN CORAL/DENDRO/RHYZO THREAD

abe

Nice thread, I'm soakin' in the info. Here is my Sun coral, 6 heads i picked up yesterday for $20. They opened up right after I put them on my sandbed, and ate Mysis 15 minutes later. LOVIN' EM :D

post-49421-1274670074_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone successfully re-habed a Sun Coral? I know a lot of people have found some good deals on Sun Corals that were in bad shape, but has anyone had one fully recover and grow. I have one I got months ago and I feed it multiple times a week and sometimes multiple times a day. However it is till loosing polyps. Out of 11 there is 6-7 left but a couple of the remaining polyps are sprouting babies.

Any ideas? I feed mostly mysis and mysis PE. I also have some blood worms

Nemo Niblets
Has anyone successfully re-habed a Sun Coral? I know a lot of people have found some good deals on Sun Corals that were in bad shape, but has anyone had one fully recover and grow. I have one I got months ago and I feed it multiple times a week and sometimes multiple times a day. However it is till loosing polyps. Out of 11 there is 6-7 left but a couple of the remaining polyps are sprouting babies.

Any ideas? I feed mostly mysis and mysis PE. I also have some blood worms

I did a while back. What you need is some Fauna Marin LPS Grow + Color. I use all sorts of foods for my dendros, and used to have a sun coral. This is the BEST LPS FOOD you will ever use. I use around 5 small pellets/polyp for my dendros twice a week and I'm getting better growth than I ever did feeding 15-20 mysis EVERY DAY.

Edited by Nemo Niblets

While I don't have any experience with sun corals, I did bring back a candy cane coral from the brink of death, only the skeleton remained. I was ready to smash it to bits to be used as rubble for my bluespot jawfish. Then, before the hammer fell, I noticed some tiny specs of flesh. So I put it in the tank and and gave it some TLC and fed it regularly, and before I knew it, it started to grow back!

Here's an older pic of it on its' "comeback"! It has since tripled in size since this pic was taken.

hpim2606ep8.jpg

I think you're on the right track, especially given the fact that it's sprouting new babies is a good sign! Keep up doing what you're doing. ;)

Thanks man, I will swing by and get a sample. I can drop off the GOW2.

Here it is, I know there is aptasia on it.

post-22643-1276827402_thumb.jpg

Edited by fxman
Yeah, that's quite a good deal.

Define not doing to good? Have you been feeding, and how often? I found when mine where not opening, if I put mysis on them they still ate them, eventually they started opening up again and being happy.

well I was feeding it every day..opened fine then nothing, started turning white..........now the stupid heater failed and wiped out my whole system.... :unsure: :omgomgomg: :blink::tears: .... now to restock :P

Here are mine. They started about eight months ago as a single polyp frag from Phishy Businss. Really started to take off when I went to target feeding every day.

Dendros_Vince_Resor_DSC_5266.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all. I wanted to post in here since it has been running for a lil while now. I have recently acquired a few Rhizo's. Not all in one shot, for it is not that easy for me to get them, or find. I got two new ones in, and one is just barely hanging on, and I am doing all I can to keep him alive. The second one...... well is one that I have never seen before, and for what I have looked and searched I honestly believe I have the first. With real pictures unaltered of a Rhizo with BABIES!!!!!!!!!! ALL OVER HIM!!!! Check them out let em know what you think. P.S. Last night I counted 14 baby heads each eating a PE mysis. I couldn't count all them that didnt, but I guess 25-33? Enjoy. Take care

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/I.../IMAG0015-1.jpg

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/I...Me/IMAG0016.jpg

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/I...Me/IMAG0018.jpg

GoingPostal

Are you sure those are rhizo babies and not another coral growing on it? Look like sun corals or balanos to me but have never seen a tiny rhizo baby before, better pics would be great but either way you got something nice going on there.

IMG_36401-1.jpg

here is my sun coral

WOW!!! Excuse me while I put my sunglasses on! ;)

They never get enough food.... B)

Today3-5-10.jpg

He looks nice and "Fat & Happy"!!

I love everyone's dendros. I have a frag that I've been target feeding. I float it in a margarita glass when I feed so that I don't pollute the rest of the tank:

P7070293.jpg

P7070295.jpg

P7070300.jpg

Edited by dday80

I do believe them to be Rhizo's. First with that some are white bodies with white arms, and some that are red bodies with red arms. Also that the Rhizo roots out, and most of the babies are at the end of the roots. There are parts of the roots that have been "chipped" or hit, and the babies are growing next to the holes in the root. I will try to get better close up pictures, but hard with a camera phone. The babies heads are similar to the blandos, then again so are the Rhizo's because of their oval head and mouth. But the colors, and rooting make me believe otherwise. Will post more when I can. Thanks. take care

ParanoidObseshun

Here is a picture of my black sun coral, an old picture from right after I got it. I havent really taken a new one of it yet.

IMG_3893.jpg

NOT MY TANK....but look at what we can aspire to. The aquarium of Daniela Stettler:

sun20corals.jpg

I'm pretty sure I would never stick my hand in that tank.