Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

UNOFFICIAL SUN CORAL/DENDRO/RHYZO THREAD

abe

Thanks! It's pretty sticky and huge too. When open like that, it is almost 6-7 inches in length. The only problem keeping one in a small tank is that you can't put anything near the rhizo that it can sting.

I've also read where they can be a problem with any unsuspecting fish!

I've also read where they can be a problem with any unsuspecting fish!

That's not really true. Most if not all fish know to stay away from them. The fish would need to be extremely sick to get caught by one. Most of the pics you see around the net of rhizos eating fish, were actually dead fish fed to the rhizo. I know because on another forum I go to I have seen people confess about the fish actually being dead that the fed to the rhizo.

Finaly joined the club. Got a little frag in the mail today with my order. It came out a little when I dusted it with food from the baster. Came out more as soon as the lights turned off. I think/hope it will be easy to make it stay open during the day.

89223517.jpg

81562293.jpg

56364348.jpg

HUH!! :huh: I've seen pics of rhizos eating fish, but never heard or read anyone "fess" up .

If I have any free time I'll pm you a link to one of these threads.

This is the questionable part:

When I queried all trade in the genus Rhizotrochus since 2002, I found records of a small volume of live specimens (less than 300) imported to the United States, the vast majority in 2008, primarily from Tonga. Unless we can show that this species does not occur in Tonga, it would appear that Tonga is making the necessary CITES findings and allowing the export of this species.

Jake asserts that R. typus does not occur in Tonga.

• 1 month later...

Rhizo as far as I know,

Rhizotrochus Typus, not sure where Rhyzo came from but do believe it to be incorrect. I guess thats one of the many problems with common names.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a pic of my new very favorite coral. Seven weeks into the hobby & I am truly in love. I count 19 heads tl & they eat like Lions. I got these on Monday 3/15/10 four days ago10 minutes after I opened the box they were trying to open up in the bag. I fed Mysis the first day & :D they ate like starving maniacs. Anyone have any ideas on something bigger & meatier to feed them?? Hec I think they could down my Yasha goby if they could catch him. Pictures were taken with my phone so they aren't top quality.The head in the front seems to have 2 mouths & another head has a capitol T shaped mouth when closed & man it opens up big. These babies are Huge & super Fluffy :bowdown::happydance::wub::D

post-49706-1269030793_thumb.jpg

post-49706-1269030812_thumb.jpg

I found some dying/starving at a LFS in the live rock. Took it home for 5 bux and force fed it daily mysis shrimp with a sharp chop stick. 2 weeks later it regrew it's tentacles and is pretty healthy.

DSCF1015.JPG

DSCF1029.JPG

DSCF1055.JPG

Edited by sfork

nonstop..... Beautiful dendro, thanks for sharing. I don't know what brand of mysis you are using, but I use the PE mysis. It is larger than the Hikari mysis, which I also use. The PE is so big, I only put 1 or 2 mysis on the heads. BTW, have you tried pellets, like New Life Spectrum? They like it as well.

sfork....... Congrats on the rescue! Looks like your TLC is paying off. Keep us updated on how it's doing!

Edited by basser1

Here's my dendro(s) which is also known as "nom-nom" haha

dendro3.jpg

Some other shots:

dendro_1080.jpg

dendrops2.jpg

DendroPS.jpg

mini3.jpg

There's a handful of new heads growing, but I don't have any good shots of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

26742_383509104326_622859326_4079710_4616867_n.jpg

Just got it from my lfs- it's open all "day" long (lights are on from 1pm to 10pm) and is closed much of the night! Feeding it twice a day- I want some fast growth! Sorry for the iphone picture quality- not too bad for a phone camera though!

• 1 month later...
danthenewreefman
Just had a polyp of my sun coral drop off onto the sand. It was a head that was not really opening to eat. Any suggestions?

I got a dendro frag with 7 heads for $10, 2 months now, I've NEVER seen it open. But a syringe with cyclopeeze they'll eat, but NEVER open.

But it seems they're opening little by little; they're in direct light too, which may be slowing it all down.

But I'm in same boat, a few of the smaller heads I can't directly "force feed" are starting to die.

jeremy0411

I picked up a dendro at my LFS that was labelled as a sun coral. This thing has over 35 heads for 40 dollars. Good deal? also.....

not doing to good so how do I fix this?

I picked up a dendro at my LFS that was labelled as a sun coral. This thing has over 35 heads for 40 dollars. Good deal? also.....

not doing to good so how do I fix this?

Yeah, that's quite a good deal.

Define not doing to good? Have you been feeding, and how often? I found when mine where not opening, if I put mysis on them they still ate them, eventually they started opening up again and being happy.