Pod Your Reef

UNOFFICIAL SUN CORAL/DENDRO/RHYZO THREAD

abe

Here is mine.

When i first got it about 2 years ago, was just a single head frag and now it has about a dozen.

I know I will get flamed but I've never fed it anything. I just left it there and gave it some good light.

It even fell to the bottom for a couple of months and I was too lazy to move it back up and it even sprouted more heads.

Duncan.jpg

Here is mine.

When i first got it about 2 years ago, was just a single head frag and now it has about a dozen.

I know I will get flamed but I've never fed it anything. I just left it there and gave it some good light.

It even fell to the bottom for a couple of months and I was too lazy to move it back up and it even sprouted more heads.

Duncan.jpg

That is Duncanopsammia, a photosynthetic Dendrophyllid...

My dendro has looked angry for weeks... I don't get it. It eats mysis and pellets every day (if I feed it that often) and never regurgitates the food- but it's been tucked in for a long time now. I've tried messing around with different combinations of low to high light and water current, and nothing seems to make it happy.

If it's still swallowing food, should I be concerned? I use tweezers to put food on it's mouth and it sucks it right up.

IMG_20110522_131703.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a couple shots of my Dendrophyllia. I've been feedin' him every day or so now, cant wait for him to start sproutin' more heads...

Dendrophyllia%20Coral%204208.jpg

New Macro Lens :D

Dendrophyllia%20Coral%204370.jpg

I'm an awful photographer but here is one small part of my tank. Two species of Tubastrea, Dendrophyllia, and the end of a Cirrhipathes.

Edited by wombat
  • 3 weeks later...
My upside down sun coral, this is when lights are on later in the day. When lights go out its polyps even extend more.

IMG_0139.JPG

I feed it mysis/rotifers/cyclopeeze/oyster feast/phyto in a cup that I put in the tank. Also my tank is continually feed with phyto 24/7. By far one of my favorite corals.

That is beautiful. I wish mine looked like that. I've had it since Sunday and it hasn't opened for feeding attempts. I've tried H20 Coral Food. My LFS was out of Coral Frenzy and Cyclopeeze. It is getting good flow and is under a over hang shading it from direct light. I hope it opens soon.

Edited by anseK

I think it's already been stated, but just to reiterate--Tubastrea does not need to be shaded at all. You can find this coral in a few feet of water in shallow coral reefs being blasted by the sun. It certainly looks cool to hang it upside down, but it isn't necessary. The primary concerns are flow and food, that's about it.

Edited by wombat

I have to agree with everything wombat said. Also, they have to be fed really well for them to thrive. Mine has been declining due to not having the time to feed it everyday. I might need to swap it for another coral with fewer heads.

If sun coral isn't eating, pull it out and toss it in a container of tank water with a heavy sluice of cyclopeeze/mysis/whatever. Should trigger a feeding response. Nursed back many rescue pieces this way. Doesn't always work the first couple times but eventually they all come around. Keep it in there for 30+ min (float to maintain temp) and occasionally agitate the sluice.

If sun coral isn't eating, pull it out and toss it in a container of tank water with a heavy sluice of cyclopeeze/mysis/whatever. Should trigger a feeding response. Nursed back many rescue pieces this way. Doesn't always work the first couple times but eventually they all come around. Keep it in there for 30+ min (float to maintain temp) and occasionally agitate the sluice.

I'll give this a shot and let you know how it works out.

I got an awsome colony of Colangia w/ a tubricate right in the front of the colony. The colony is open day and night but its larger at night. I also have 2 seperate heads of balanophyllia.

post-52985-1313114316_thumb.jpg

post-52985-1313114350_thumb.jpg

Edited by IamTomm
I got an awsome colony of Colangia w/ a tubricate right in the front of the colony. The colony is open day and night but its larger at night. I also have 2 seperate heads of balanophyllia.

I would really like to see a pic of this!! ;)

The Colangia is sick. Where'd you get it?

I tried red bar cyclopeeze tonight and they finally opened up after two hours. I think I have a technique which should work.

How much should 1 head of dendro cost.Like a yellow one.

My local market is $25 to $50 a head. If you find something for $40 you are doing well.

Edited by anseK
  • 5 weeks later...

Recently picked up a "Walking Dendro" coral, Heteropsammia cochlea I believe...

They're pretty cool, certainly unique, and mine's been "walking" about an inch every night...

Walking%20Dendro%206854.jpg

Walking%20Dendro%206915.jpg

Gettin' full on mysis shrimp...

Walking%20Dendro%206787.jpg

Down the hatch...

Walking%20Dendro%206792.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the suggestion. I feed mysis tonight for the first time and it was so much easier than Cyclopeeze or H2O coral food which I was previously feeding. I thinking going to feed mysis every other feeding and rotate between Cyclopeeze and H2O coral food for the others.

Here is an iPhone photo of my little cutie.

bbf7d7a1.jpg

A couple days ago I picked up a cheap sun coral frag and decided to try it out. This thing is awesome! It's eating mysis shrimp and anything it catches in it's tentacles during feeding time. My only questions is do I have to feed every head every time?

sun1.jpg

sun2.jpg

A couple days ago I picked up a cheap sun coral frag and decided to try it out. This thing is awesome! It's eating mysis shrimp and anything it catches in it's tentacles during feeding time. My only questions is do I have to feed every head every time?

sun1.jpg

sun2.jpg

I personally make it a point to feed every head each feeding. They are independent animals and don't share a common stomach.