Coral Vue Hydros

UNOFFICIAL SUN CORAL/DENDRO/RHYZO THREAD

abe

Duncans and Dendros, I like'em both! Would you believe I caught one of my clowns in the dendros? ;)

Just thought I'd share this pic with you. The large colony on the right was one polyp, then started to sprout new ones. I had just put some mysis in the tank and one of the babies ate one. It stretched out so much you can see the shrimp inside it! I guess its' eyes was bigger than its' tummy!

hpim2151cx6.jpg

that's a cool picture. i should have taken a picture when i fed my dendros jumbo mysis... there was huge lumps in the dendros, and you could clearly see a shrimp inside. :lol:

ocean_of_mirth
Can I play?? Here are my 2 dendro colonies. The one on the right actually started out as 1 polyp. It stayed that way for a while and then it sprouted like 10 new polyps all at the same time!

'

That"s a great shot -- what kind of goby do you have? Nice looking dendros, too!

Question:

what do you all feed your dendros? I was feeding scallop bits, then frozen cyclopeeze, then some small fish pellets, now it's Coral Frenzy.

Do you find more success in growth with larger foods or smaller foods? My polyps are still pretty small, but I want faster growth. I am thinking I should go larger again-- maybe cyclopeeze?

Edited by ocean_of_mirth
Avalon_Princess
beautiful. how long have you had them?

I've had that coral for three months, the colonies doubled in that time and spawned twice. When I was trying to get it healthy I fed it a cube of food every day, seemed to really like it LOL.

GoingPostal

I just got a three polyp frag of branching sun coral, still trying to convince the silly thing to open, one opens well after I feed the tank, one opens a little but doesn't eat yet and the other is totally retracted. The guy I got them from said he didn't feed them much though. They are so tiny compared to my dendro though, I've been feeding him mysis or my homemade food. How much luck are you guys having getting them to open all day? My dendro will stay open most of the day only if he's fed that day.

I just got a three polyp frag of branching sun coral, still trying to convince the silly thing to open, one opens well after I feed the tank, one opens a little but doesn't eat yet and the other is totally retracted. The guy I got them from said he didn't feed them much though. They are so tiny compared to my dendro though, I've been feeding him mysis or my homemade food. How much luck are you guys having getting them to open all day? My dendro will stay open most of the day only if he's fed that day.

try coral frenzy yet? it was the only thing that got my sun corals to open... and that was after five months... ;)

please remember what i said in the first post:

ttiwwp.gif

smiley courtesy of Pickle010

:P

Edited by abe
GoingPostal

I don't have any coral frenzy to try, I'd have to order some. Here's a bad pic of my dendro by the way, I still need to get pics of my new stuff.

feb2008028.jpg

ocean_of_mirth..... That"goby" is a blue spot jawfish. It is easily one of my favorite fish with a ton of personality! His burrow is actually right below the dendros and he used LR rubble to line the opening with. ;)

I have a pretty large colony of sun coral in my 2.5. had it for about 1 month or two and no large algea boom yet. im keeping a close eye on it but its just so beautiful i dont think i could give it up.

I have a pretty large colony of sun coral in my 2.5. had it for about 1 month or two and no large algea boom yet. im keeping a close eye on it but its just so beautiful i dont think i could give it up.

:) awesome. pictures mate.

I feed mine every day whenever I feed the fish. I feed them either mysis or brine shrimp. ;)

Well then im doing right. always good to know. BTW your tank is absolutly beautiful. :happy:

morning bump with pictures!

fed the sun corals this morning and got awesome extension.

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

:)

Edited by abe

I really like how they are in that little crevice, its very cool! must be easy to feed that way, i have the hardest time getting the other side of the rock on my peice.

Edited by Mr.Pickles
Yeah, that is a great place for them!!!

I wish i could keep sun coral but im not sure if id be willing to feed it daily just to see it open at that time ya know?

Avalon_Princess

Just curious but do peoples sun corals stay open? Mines open 24/7 only closes if I move it. Though then again I feed it whenever i feel like so sometimes that midnight sometimes 6 am in the morning or at noon, or virtually anytime LOL. So mines always fully extended, it looks gorgeous. I'm still trying to coax my new one to open though, think I'm going to have to start feeding after the lights go out to make sure its eating.

Just curious but do peoples sun corals stay open? Mines open 24/7 only closes if I move it. Though then again I feed it whenever i feel like so sometimes that midnight sometimes 6 am in the morning or at noon, or virtually anytime LOL. So mines always fully extended, it looks gorgeous. I'm still trying to coax my new one to open though, think I'm going to have to start feeding after the lights go out to make sure its eating.

mine only openns when it squirt some shrimp juice twards it, after that it stays open for a while. I wish mine was open all the time, that would be awsome.

mine only openns when it squirt some shrimp juice twards it, after that it stays open for a while. I wish mine was open all the time, that would be awsome.

train it. all you have to do is feed during random time of the day or multiple times a day for a week to a month. :)