inTank Media Baskets

15 gal Coldwater Dual Biotope

Jamie

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anthopleuras are quite sticky, but I don't think they can catch fish (at least, not A. elegantissima). They can't even catch live mysis. I occasionally catch live mysids to feed the tank, and the shrimp swim right into the tentacles, bounce off, then swim away. I also occasionally see a sculpin perching on the oral disk of an anemone, with no apperent affect, but it's possible sculpins are immune, since they live in tidepools in close proximity to these anemones. As far as the urticinas go, I've never tried keeping them with fish, but they are much stickier, and have much quicker reaction times than the Anthopleuras, so I suspect that they could catch fish, at least the bigger ones. I do know that painted greenling (Oxylebius pictus) are symbiotic with Urticinas, like clownfish, so at least they are immune.

Well, they seem to react to it, in that they open during the day and close at night, but they're generally not photosynthetic. A. elegantissima and A. xanthogrammica can be, but even whene the zooxanthellae are present, the anemones still need lots of food.

Interesting - I determined a while ago that mysis are not sufficient food for these anemones. I don't know why, but when fed mysis, even if fed every day, the anemones slowly decline. I after I determined that I started feeding them frozen shrimp that I had grated into small peices with a cheese grater. This worked, but was time consuming and messy. The first time I fed the berries some cyclops, I had some extra, so I offered it to the anthopleuras, even though I didn't think they'd be able to eat it because it was so small. They really liked it, however, so I've kept feeding it. Much to my surpirse they are much happier now than they have been with any other food. Smaller seems to be better, in this case. So, feed your anemones cyclopeez! I'd like to see if other people find this to be the case, too.

I figured Cyclopeeze would be the best bet for the Corynactus, but I'm a little surprised at the way your other anemones responded regarding food size. I fed my Urticinas cubes of Formula One, they wouldn't even respond to anything smaller. I think that any mixed food would be better accepted than a single source, no matter how nutritionally dense.

That's true, the urticinas don't react at all to the cyclopeez. I think they're designed for catching bigger foods. I was surprised that the A elegantissimas liked cyclopeez so much though, they seem like they'd like bigger food better. But yeah, I think mixed is the way to go.

There aren't very many orange ones, unfortunately. :( think we each get two polyps. The "white" ones look a lot like the orange ones though, just paler. The orange ones still have that crusty stuff on their feet, and, hence, cannot attach. I have had a couple nems move though, so that answers my question about that. They just climb over eachother.

omg, I just realized we have two smileys with the exact same code! closedeyes and -_ - (I added a space) are the same! (I realize I am probably the last one to know this, but I'm telling you anyway!)

Sorry, that was random...

anemonees....

I found a couple links that may be of use to the group. There is lot's of technical reading here that will shed some light on Corynactis Californica.

http://www.biolbull.org/cgi/reprint/173/1/110

http://www.springerlink.com/content/k42222...61/fulltext.pdf

http://www.springerlink.com/content/8281u4...7t/fulltext.pdf

I have this really cool Anthopleura Sola that I picked up off the East end of Santa Cruz Island. This specimen was collected in 35' of water.

post-22564-1223477723_thumb.jpg

He will grab hold of mysis if he's hungry enough. But here is what he really likes.

Go to the local fish market and buy a couple pieces of fresh dead squid. Take it home and cut it up into smaller pieces (like 1" X 1"). Spread out the pieces inside a zip-loc baggie and freeze. When your ready the feed, just pull the bag out of the freezor, break off a small piece and float it inside a cup of tank water to defrost. Wait for the squid to soften up a bit then give it to them. They will love it!!! I feed every other day.

Nice nem mike. How big is it? I won't hav time to read the articles until the weekend, but the abstract of the first one says that there is no aggression amongst different morphs of the same species, correct? So I shouldn't need to worry about letting the colonies touch?

EDIT: Oh, and Daniel, yes, there are plenty of pink ones and white ones left. :)

He's about 4" in diameter.

I would have to agree with that observation. You have seen the pictures I have posted on my page right?

In the wild all different morphs live side by side in peace & harmony.

Well, none of them are directly touching, so I think they should be okay. That study also mentions A. elegantissima, and I've never had problems with thim, within the species, but they do attack anything else near them.

I thought the modified 'warrior' polyps at the edge of the A. elegantissima colonies was an interesting phenomenon. I wish I had a tank large enough to test that theory - the elegants on one side, the strawberries on another...

10 gal isn't large enough? Just pack it with anemones!

On another note, I started my dive certification today! :happydance:

I am very envious. Goodluck with it.

Archived