Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

15 gal Coldwater Dual Biotope

Jamie

Well, for now everything seems all right. The new tank the strawberries are in seems to be doing reasonably well. The water hasn't gotten any cloudier since I put them in, and they've all opened up. One thing I've noticed about them, and I think this must be a characteristic of corallimorphs (I don't know much about them, so correct me if I'm wrong), is that they don't seem to be able to move like anemones do. If you think about it, being colonial the way they are, attached at the base, it wouldn't make sense to be able to move. I also don't know about reattaching. When I peeled some of the orange ones off, a thin brown layer came up under their pedal disks. I don't know if this is part of the anemone or part of the scallop shell, but it doesn't look like they'll be able to reattach with that on their feet. For now I'm just gonna leave them and see what they decide to do about it, but if it goes a week or two without them attaching, or showing any inclination to, should I even consider trying to glue them down? Not gonna worry about that right now, but for future reference.

Well...brown stuff could be nems or could be shell - brown and gooey is probably part of the nem (at least in my experience with the mini carpets...but minis are fine even if you rip them up a bit...don't know about strawberries). If it's not gooey, it's probably the organic coating on the shells getting ripped off. I think the latter is more likely, and if that's the case you probably won't see them attempt to reattach, since they're still sort of attached.

Beyond that...I dunno what to tell ya about reattaching them....new territory for all of us I suppose :D

Keep up the good work!! :D

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's stiff and brittle. I was thinking maybe built up layers of algae on the shells or something. I'll just wait and see what they do - better to have them unattached anyway for shipping.

Yay! The tank is still clear! :) I'm gonna test the water today, and do a 1 gal waterchange, and probably keep doing 1 gal waterchanges for the next few days. I also *might* move the Urticina's into the tank with the strawberries. The tank they are in is running 63 degrees, which is fine for everything else, but a little warm for them. I'm hoping this won't trigger allelopathy from either them or the strawberries, because I think that was one of the factors that led to the tank crash earlier. I'm also running carbon now, which would help with that. I can keep the current urticina tank down to 60 by adding ice every hour or so, so for now I've been doing that, but I won't be able to keep that up during the week with school.

I fed everything last night, too. I couldn't really tell if the strawberries were eating - some of them closed up, slowly, but it wasn't and anemone-like reaction, but then again, they aren't anemones, I don't know how quickly they would normally react to food.

Yay! The tank is still clear! :) I'm gonna test the water today, and do a 1 gal waterchange, and probably keep doing 1 gal waterchanges for the next few days. I also *might* move the Urticina's into the tank with the strawberries. The tank they are in is running 63 degrees, which is fine for everything else, but a little warm for them. I'm hoping this won't trigger allelopathy from either them or the strawberries, because I think that was one of the factors that led to the tank crash earlier. I'm also running carbon now, which would help with that. I can keep the current urticina tank down to 60 by adding ice every hour or so, so for now I've been doing that, but I won't be able to keep that up during the week with school.

I fed everything last night, too. I couldn't really tell if the strawberries were eating - some of them closed up, slowly, but it wasn't and anemone-like reaction, but then again, they aren't anemones, I don't know how quickly they would normally react to food.

YAY!!!!!! GOOD NEWS TODAY!!!!!!!

!!!!!!! omgomgomg !!!!!!!!

YAY!!!!!! GOOD NEWS TODAY!!!!!!!

!!!!!!! omgomgomg !!!!!!!!

And even batter news today! The berries look the best they have looked yet, all opened up and happy. They also look HUNGRY, so I'm gonna feed em in few minutes. I've got all the other stuff in the bottom part of the surge tank, and it's all looking great too. I think I'll be able to get the surge tank up and surging this afternoon!

The last two pages have been a rollercoaster ride of emotions.

First I was all :o

Then I was all :scarry:

After that I was all omgomgomg

And now I'm all :happy:

That makes two of us.

I think I had a heartattack in the midst of all that

Glad you two made it through okay. :lol:

Thanks Lalani. :) You setting up that tank yet?

The surge tank is officially up again, but not surging, because the anemones are still attaching. The strawberries are still looking hungry (didn't feed them earlier) so I'll see how they feel about a little cyclopeez after I do some of my homework.

Glad you two made it through okay. :lol:

Thanks Lalani. :) You setting up that tank yet?

lol...and Lani sticks up for ya :P

You guys need to chill... I had full confidence in ya, Jamie. :)

not a lack of confidence in Jamie...lack of confidence in strawberry hardiness in midst of massive die off :P

I just hope the same thing doesn't happen when I ship to you! But it shouldn't, there's not much left on the rocks that could die. <_<

well, i have plenty of extra tanks and tubing to jimmy a second cw tank...and tons of free water, so i'm prepared. and i know what to do now that you've done it :P

heh, yeah, at least I've got experience now. I'm procrastinating on my homework tonight, so I might even get pictures! I'm not gonna stay up late, though, so we'll see. Television may be a piority, with all this going on plus a big english project, I haven't seen an TV in at least a week! I'll get pictures soon, if I don't get 'em tonight, though, so don't worry.

heh, yeah, at least I've got experience now. I'm procrastinating on my homework tonight, so I might even get pictures! I'm not gonna stay up late, though, so we'll see. Television may be a piority, with all this going on plus a big english project, I haven't seen an TV in at least a week! I'll get pictures soon, if I don't get 'em tonight, though, so don't worry.

nuttin on tv...football game isn't any good...take pics instead :P

:D

TIVO!! All I watched was a half hour of family guy, but the lights were off when I went upstairs. :( Who knows, maybe I'll get some night-time shots, we'll see.

PICS!!!!

Bottom tank:

DSC_0135.jpg

A. elegantissima

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0139-2.jpg

Urticina coriacea

DSC_0145-1.jpg

Top tank:

DSC_0154-2.jpg

Urticina grebelnyi??? KWG identified it as a Christmas anemone, aka U. grebelnyi. doesn't look at all like the one in my book (solid red column is the main difference). Could it be U. columbiana? It fits the description much better. Input? (and don't worry, it's not being smooshed by that rock, just getting held in place till it attaches)

DSC_0147-1.jpg

C. californica!! (and tubeworm)

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0150-1.jpg

DSC_0151-1.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

-Jamie

Nice, triangle formation. I like it.

Let me try this

___ :) ___ :)

_ :) _______ :)

___ :) :) :)

Well, that almost worked. It's a big smily face, if you can't tell. <_<

kingwintergreen

other way around, the one with the red base is the U. coriacea

I'm going "by the book" on the U. crassicornis, although you are right in questioning whether or not it should be called... that "greby" name, whatever it is

they look great, glad you like them

Archived