Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

15 gal Coldwater Dual Biotope

Jamie

Yup, it's all about the vesicles.

eta: Jamie, where are you getting your info regarding flow conditions for the strawberries? Do you have a link?

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup, it's all about the vesicles.

eta: Jamie, where are you getting your info regarding flow conditions for the strawberries? Do you have a link?

:huh:

I have no flow info on strawberries. In fact, I have no info at all. I've just been going by what you guys tell me. My book does mention that they're found in high current areas, but other than that, I have nothing.

PICS!!!!

Bottom tank:

DSC_0135.jpg

A. elegantissima

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0139-2.jpg

Urticina coriacea

DSC_0145-1.jpg

Top tank:

DSC_0154-2.jpg

Urticina grebelnyi??? KWG identified it as a Christmas anemone, aka U. grebelnyi. doesn't look at all like the one in my book (solid red column is the main difference). Could it be U. columbiana? It fits the description much better. Input? (and don't worry, it's not being smooshed by that rock, just getting held in place till it attaches)

DSC_0147-1.jpg

C. californica!! (and tubeworm)

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0150-1.jpg

DSC_0151-1.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

-Jamie

o m g .

i <3 u .

:huh:

I have no flow info on strawberries. In fact, I have no info at all. I've just been going by what you guys tell me. My book does mention that they're found in high current areas, but other than that, I have nothing.

lol, gotcha. I thought you mentioned an actual source a while back, sorry. :)

Jamie, nice to see you are back on track!!!I was worried there for a while. I like the idea of having multiple tanks, I only wish I had the space. Good for you though because now when I send you stuff, you'll have a quarantine tank. I don't know if you guys saw my pot in my personal coldwater thread, but I will copy it here just in case.

Things are doing well. The berries for the most part have looked really good. They have been open and closed at various times, but the closing seems to be more frequent when they have had too much light. I did have some die off of various critters and polyps do to transfer from the ocean to the tank, but that was to be expected. There were a couple tube worms and brittle stars who survived as well as other things I have not yet identified. For the most part I am very impressed with what survived and how hardy coldwater species appear to be. I’m sure If I would have taken better care of the scallop when I removed it from the rig rather then throw it in my game bag with all the others, it would have proved more rewarding. It was much more of a task then I though it would be.

Once I started to submerge the berry encrusted scallop shells into the tank, there has been some settling of the rocks and a few fragments and polyps have broken off and been distributed to different areas of the tank. Some with higher or lower light and water flow rates. It will be interesting to see which area thrives more. The berries are definitely sensitive to light and I have cut mine back to about 7 hours of daylight. I’m even thinking of diffusing my canopy daylight bulb to simulate the lighting conditions they come from. I have my lights on a three tier system with nightlights coming on before and after the daylights and moon lights during the late night.

(1) 36 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin

(1) 36 watt 10,000K Daylight straight pin

(3) 0.75 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED

When we dove the rig, after we got through the first layer/thermocline (about 30') to where the visibility cleared up, it was about 50’ depth. There was not very much direct light down at that depth. There was also little ambient light. I'm sure there are days when the light is more intense, but most of the time....not ton's of light. It's also interesting to note that you don't see this species start to flourish untill you reach the 40'-50' range and then they extend to over 100' where....you guessed it.....even less light. The water temp was about 58 degrees at that depth and got warmer as you ascended. which tells me they like cooler water On that particular day, the current wasn’t moving real hard, but I could feel and see the water and food flowing through the structure. This leads me two my next two thoughts. Water flow rate and feeding schedule. In general the flow rate and available food source is high and constant. For this reason, I have been feeding them everyday. I think it would be better if I split up their food portion and give them a morning and evening feeding…..any thoughts? Yesterday, along with a complete filter cleaning and 2 gal water change, I added a Hydor Koralia power head to my tank. I already had the stock pump that came with the Biocube 29 system, and have added a Renna 600 power head. I also have a Renna XP2 filter/pump running my chiller, so with the addition of the Hydor……the flow rate is awesome. The berries really seem to like the increased flow.

Yesterday when I removed my skimmer located in the middle chamber of my filtration system, I found my giant starfish attached to the bottom of it. When I removed him to place him into the main tank, I noticed he had a death grip on my blue ringed top snail. Dam that was a cool shell.

So The other guy who went with me diving that day (who is not yet involved with this website) has a 50gal coldwater tank with a spotted octopus in it. He wrote this little snippet to me yesterday about the progress of his tank:

I added two Koralia pumps, and the anemone immediately got happier (more open) and my gorgonians liked the flow too. The Koralias are big and ugly though, and I’d love to find a way to get the flow that is less conspicuous. I grabbed a bunch of rocks yesterday from the marina, and some underwater epoxy. I plan to glue together a reef that my octopus will never be able to destroy. Maybe I can hide a big powerhead inside of it and pipe the output to create more flow. My plan is to epoxy the scallop shells to my new reef and free up a lot of space for my octopus where he won’t get stung.

The light thing is interesting. I have medium intensity light because my octopus doesn’t like super bright light. I have a single 20 watt 10K fluorescent tube (T12), but it’s on for 12 hours per day. I’ll try knocking that down to about five hours to see what happens. I only feed every two days because I have trouble keeping the water quality right. I think I’ll go to once or even twice per day, and just use much smaller quantities.

You and I seem to have a similar guiding principal: “when in doubt, try to do whatever nature does.”

o m g .

i <3 u .

:wub:

Jamie, nice to see you are back on track!!!I was worried there for a while. I like the idea of having multiple tanks, I only wish I had the space. Good for you though because now when I send you stuff, you'll have a quarantine tank. [ Well, the two tanks are connected, so it wouldn't work as a QT tank, but not that I have my other chiller back, I'll be able to set up a QT tank when I'm ready to recieve again (which probably won't be for a while - this was really stressful! And busy, with school and everything. ] I don't know if you guys saw my pot in my personal coldwater thread, but I will copy it here just in case. [You have a thread? Link please!]

Things are doing well. The berries for the most part have looked really good. They have been open and closed at various times, but the closing seems to be more frequent when they have had too much light. [interesting...] I did have some die off of various critters and polyps do to transfer from the ocean to the tank, but that was to be expected. There were a couple tube worms and brittle stars who survived as well as other things I have not yet identified. For the most part I am very impressed with what survived and how hardy coldwater species appear to be. [Glad they did well for you. Unfortunately, I think my tubeworm didn't make it after all.]I’m sure If I would have taken better care of the scallop when I removed it from the rig rather then throw it in my game bag with all the others, it would have proved more rewarding. It was much more of a task then I though it would be.

Once I started to submerge the berry encrusted scallop shells into the tank, there has been some settling of the rocks and a few fragments and polyps have broken off and been distributed to different areas of the tank. Some with higher or lower light and water flow rates. It will be interesting to see which area thrives more. The berries are definitely sensitive to light and I have cut mine back to about 7 hours of daylight. [Mine are under pretty strong lights, but with a pretty short photoperiod, maybe I should cut the lighting down, or just get rid of it for a while, till they're all nice and healthy again.] I’m even thinking of diffusing my canopy daylight bulb to simulate the lighting conditions they come from. I have my lights on a three tier system with nightlights coming on before and after the daylights and moon lights during the late night.

(1) 36 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin

(1) 36 watt 10,000K Daylight straight pin

(3) 0.75 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED

When we dove the rig, after we got through the first layer/thermocline (about 30') to where the visibility cleared up, it was about 50’ depth. There was not very much direct light down at that depth. There was also little ambient light. I'm sure there are days when the light is more intense, but most of the time....not ton's of light. It's also interesting to note that you don't see this species start to flourish untill you reach the 40'-50' range and then they extend to over 100' where....you guessed it.....even less light. The water temp was about 58 degrees at that depth and got warmer as you ascended. which tells me they like cooler water On that particular day, the current wasn’t moving real hard, but I could feel and see the water and food flowing through the structure. This leads me two my next two thoughts. Water flow rate and feeding schedule. In general the flow rate and available food source is high and constant. For this reason, I have been feeding them everyday. I think it would be better if I split up their food portion and give them a morning and evening feeding…..any thoughts? [Good idea, as long as you're not have water quality isses with increased feeding.] Yesterday, along with a complete filter cleaning and 2 gal water change, I added a Hydor Koralia power head to my tank. I already had the stock pump that came with the Biocube 29 system, and have added a Renna 600 power head. I also have a Renna XP2 filter/pump running my chiller, so with the addition of the Hydor……the flow rate is awesome. The berries really seem to like the increased flow.

Yesterday when I removed my skimmer located in the middle chamber of my filtration system, I found my giant starfish attached to the bottom of it. When I removed him to place him into the main tank, I noticed he had a death grip on my blue ringed top snail. Dam that was a cool shell.

So The other guy who went with me diving that day (who is not yet involved with this website) has a 50gal coldwater tank with a spotted octopus in it. [cool!] He wrote this little snippet to me yesterday about the progress of his tank:

I added two Koralia pumps, and the anemone immediately got happier (more open) and my gorgonians liked the flow too. The Koralias are big and ugly though, and I’d love to find a way to get the flow that is less conspicuous. I grabbed a bunch of rocks yesterday from the marina, and some underwater epoxy. I plan to glue together a reef that my octopus will never be able to destroy. Maybe I can hide a big powerhead inside of it and pipe the output to create more flow. My plan is to epoxy the scallop shells to my new reef and free up a lot of space for my octopus where he won’t get stung.

The light thing is interesting. I have medium intensity light because my octopus doesn’t like super bright light. I have a single 20 watt 10K fluorescent tube (T12), but it’s on for 12 hours per day. I’ll try knocking that down to about five hours to see what happens. I only feed every two days because I have trouble keeping the water quality right. I think I’ll go to once or even twice per day, and just use much smaller quantities.

You and I seem to have a similar guiding principal: “when in doubt, try to do whatever nature does.”

[sounds like a good idea to me!]

Nice, triangle formation. I like it.

Let me try this

___ :) ___ :)

_ :) _______ :)

___ :) :) :)

Well, that almost worked. It's a big smily face, if you can't tell. <_<

mmmmm...not bad. still like my triangle omgomgomg army better :P

Well, it was better, so that makes sense. giant smiley face = lame.

it coulda been cool...just all those extra lines kinda screw with ya :P

o...and just in case it hasnt been said enough:

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

omgomgomg indeed. I'm having some luck feeding the nems, some readily accept cyclopeez and some not so much, I think they still need some time to recover, but I think they'll all start eating soon.

The surge tank is finally surging again! And the nems love it. Even though they're not directly effected by it, all the berries in the top tank opened way up, more than I've ever seen. I'm guessing it was in response to higher oxygen levels, but not sure. I also put two berries in the bottom tank to see how they liked the surge-type flow, and they're happy as can be. I fed everyone some cyclopeez, and they all ate well. So glad my tank is back to normal. :wub:

oh, and I took the filter pad out of the filter, because it was filtering out the food too quickly, but it's still running on the top tank, just for flow.

So, what's the total flow you have running over the strawberries now?

And how's the feeding going? Cyclopeeze, right?

I gotta do a Marine Depot order so you can send me my share, lol.

So, what's the total flow you have running over the strawberries now?

And how's the feeding going? Cyclopeeze, right?

Total flow is outflow of chiller (mj 1200, but it slows down a lot going through the chiller) plus HOB filter. It's not a ton of flow, but everyone seems quite happy with it.

Feeding is going well, all the nems are taking food now, and they open up more every day!

I gotta do a Marine Depot order so you can send me my share, lol.

:eek: Really? Bleh, I thought I was done shipping for a while, but if you insist. When? You have to wait at least until next week, this week is literally impossible. Sorry! :(

Take some pics, silly boy :P

I did!

Berries:

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0165-1.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

Surge:

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_0173.jpg

:)

-Jamie

Total flow is outflow of chiller (mj 1200, but it slows down a lot going through the chiller) plus HOB filter. It's not a ton of flow, but everyone seems quite happy with it.

Feeding is going well, all the nems are taking food now, and they open up more every day!

Hmm, ok, so an MJ1200 + the Mag5 return should be sufficient on a 10g. That means I don't have to order a powerhead, woo hoo!

:eek: Really? Bleh, I thought I was done shipping for a while, but if you insist. When? You have to wait at least until next week, this week is literally impossible. Sorry! :(

lol, next week is fine, I won't get a chance to set the tank up proper until this weekend anyway. :flower:

:tears:

I can't fit the giant sheet of foam in my car! I have all the duct tape, though.

Can't you cut it up? :huh: It's for insulation?

dats okay...we're about to move...you can hold off :P

You get the house? :)

Excellent, all the more time for me to grow more polyps. Now all I need is a couple Catalina gobies! (which I plan on getting, by the way, just as soon as I have time to make a mesh thing to cover the overfloe so they don't take a ride to the sump).

Can't you cut it up? :huh: It's for insulation?

You get the house? :)

Excellent, all the more time for me to grow more polyps. Now all I need is a couple Catalina gobies! (which I plan on getting, by the way, just as soon as I have time to make a mesh thing to cover the overfloe so they don't take a ride to the sump).

we think so...just waiting on a home inspection. closing on the 15th if all goes to plan. :D

DAMN YOU AND YOUR LOGIC!

:rant:

:haha:

DUCT TAPE + FOAM = FUN TIMES

last time I had that combination, i ended up sticky and covered in foam bits :unsure:

Archived