Pod Your Reef

***StevieT's Media Rack for the RSM ***

StevieT

I have a BC14 I'd love to have this rack for. I'm having issues with my chemi-pure compacting itself in the bottom of the middle chamber, reducing flow. I've recently moved the chemi-pure it to the first chamber where I usually keep my heater (removed heater for the summer). I've added chaeto to the middle chamber to help reduce nitrates. Don't yet know how to get under the chaeto to remove the floss I have to catch the debris. Sure would be nice to have everything in a nice little sleeve to pull out and do all of my cleaning!

If you can get me good dimentions, I may be able to help you. PM for details.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schedule Update for the first week of September:

I will be out of the country From September 3-9, spending many hours in the ocean in the Dominican Republic, if I don't get caught by customs with a vast amount of corals ;) , production will resume after that time. I will be running production up until September 2nd, catching up on backorders, new orders, and future orders.

I have always shipped out in the order of payment. I should be able to ship orders for another week or so, but anything after a point, all depending on demand, will be shipped after I return from vacation.

If you have any questions please send them my way, I will be out of data communication while on vacation and I am sure my girlfriend will send my blackberry into the ocean upon arrival just to make sure B)

Thank you to everyone for your past purchases, I look forward to getting caught up in the next week and a half. In the month of September I will be back to a stocking level since life will be slowing down. Please feed my fish and check the ATO on my tank while I am gone ;)

Steve, enjoy your vacation. When I received the media rack and the cup holder, I will share my experience here on the forum.

Here in Holland, a lot of RSM owners are very curious about the mods you've made on the RSM. They keep asking me to post my experience on the dutch forum. I'm afraid that you can expect a lot of emails from holland :D .

Steve, enjoy your vacation. When I received the media rack and the cup holder, I will share my experience here on the forum.

Here in Holland, a lot of RSM owners are very curious about the mods you've made on the RSM. They keep asking me to post my experience on the dutch forum. I'm afraid that you can expect a lot of emails from holland :D .

Great! Hey, more the better, I plan on rocking these out after my vacation. Softball is over with for the summer so I have even more time after work for production. Fill my email up! I appreciate it.

Yours will be shipping out tomorrow, all backorders will be boxed up tonight, shipping out and arriving soon! I got caught up last night, was here really late, but it was worth it.

UH OOOHHHHH look what I just purchased today! BioCube 29 Media Rack releasing sometime soon!

12536_400wh.jpg

haha, we'll see. I have a few options when I am done using it as a test platform.

Either get a MH light for it and use it as a frag tank since I will be needing to do trimming soon on my corals.

Or I could sell it at a good price to someone here or locally.

I really don't want to get into a coral business or even mess around with frags, but I suppose I almost have to since they like to grow in my tank and I have to keep everything peaceful and far apart.

More tanks = more work.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I jumped on this thread from all the reading I have been doing.....

Stevie T could you please attach/ PM me a list of what you have to offer to sell for the RSM..

Thanks

B

Hi,

Stevie T could you please attach/ PM me a list of what you have to offer to sell for the RSM..

Thanks

B

Hi,

Thanks

B

PM sent

Hello Steve

2 month since I've installed my media rack and attached my Tunze9002 to it. So far no problem to report, the media rack is doing very well and I still find it very well designed when it comes to clean everything. I appreciate that my skimmer is attached to my media rack because all comes together very easily and cleaning is faster and easier.

As I said before, it just took me a couple of days to find the good way to fit my media (sponge&floss) and keep the water flow fine. Since that, I never had an issue, but it requires regular cleaning & changes.

Enjoy your vacation time ;)

Does your Tunze 9002 perform better than the stock skimmer, now you've been running for over 2 months? And how long did it take for you, before the 9002 starts to kick in, and starts to skimm?

Does your Tunze 9002 perform better than the stock skimmer, now you've been running for over 2 months? And how long did it take for you, before the 9002 starts to kick in, and starts to skimm?

I'll jump in for this one. The Tunze 9002 on my RSM produces more skimmate (brown gunk) every two days than the original RSM skimmer did in two months.

And my tank is not heavily stocked as others here. (5 fish and about 30 small soft corals/zoas/shrooms)

I have been running the Tunze for 6 or so months now and it out performed the stock skimmer the first day I installed it. I had no break in period and it started producing good skimmate right away. Every tank is different in that regard, but it should work pretty much out of the box.

I have been running the Tunze for 6 or so months now and it out performed the stock skimmer the first day I installed it. I had no break in period and it started producing good skimmate right away. Every tank is different in that regard, but it should work pretty much out of the box.

Aren't you on vacation bro... Get off the damn computer bro!!! ;)

Enjoy it!!!

same experience for me since the installation of the Tunze

to sum up a better performance for less noise produced

what I would like now is a mod for the RSM with 4 or 6 vents installed in the front side of the hood to keep the water cold. Have you ever heard about such a mod ?

I think it's possible to open the front side of the hood and remove half of it, a vent ramp could be attached there but for now I'm to afraid to break the front side when trying to open the hood

here is an example :

99610887cm9.png

Nice to hear from you Steve. Monday I got your package. Real craftmanship (especially the packing)! The bad thing is, the customs caught the package, and I had to pay $32.30 tax/fees :angry: . This friday I will install the rack and the Tunze, I hope all will fit into the aquarium, and that the 9002 will perform beter than the stock skimmer. If so, then I have prevented a system crash for in the future. I even got a bag of chemie pure. From a german webstore I've ordered purigen, that will come later.

In the future I will place a new order, but then for the RSM 250 ;) .

same experience for me since the installation of the Tunze

to sum up a better performance for less noise produced

what I would like now is a mod for the RSM with 4 or 6 vents installed in the front side of the hood to keep the water cold. Have you ever heard about such a mod ?

I think it's possible to open the front side of the hood and remove half of it, a vent ramp could be attached there but for now I'm to afraid to break the front side when trying to open the hood

It is possible, but the risk is high to break the plastic cover, and what if it wouldn't work, you end up with a torn upper hood :huh: . You can try a couple of flat fans, and stick it on the front side. You don't have to break anything, and give a try without any risk.

I have a 6 vents ramp from JEBO but I need to keep the front hood opened to use it, this is why I'm trying to think to put it inside the hood for a permanent use with a water temp detector

I would feel better if I could put a hand on a spare part or a used hood in order to practise but unfortunately I can't find it

I'm sure this would be a major MOD for the RSM and everyone who doesn't want to buy a chiller would a potential customer

Steeeeeeve ?!!! :D

I have installed the media rack and the Tunze 9002. On the skimmer body there is a line drawn, which indicates the waterline where it should be for a proper skimmer performance. It is difficult to get the water level exact on the line where it should be. Practically, how do I handle this? Is is beter to have the waterline over that line, or under, if I have to choose?

Another comment on temperatures -- this is from another thread -- what temp are you trying to maintain?

I've recorded around 1 degree F increase in temperature.

Our local fish group had an interesting discussion about tank temperatures. The general concensus was that you should quit trying to hold down the temperature unless it's trying to go above 84. If it stays below 84 without any chillers or other serious equipment, then set up the tank to run ALL the time at that temp. It's the CHANGE that does the most harm.

If your tank drops down to 77-78 at night, but you struggle to keep it at that temp during the day, why not set your heaters to hold it at something like 82 all the time? 77 to 84 is a BIG temperature rise -- 82 - 84 is no big deal.

Just a thought from some people who have WAY more experience than me!

Archived