Top Shelf Aquatics

***StevieT's Media Rack for the RSM ***

StevieT

I have installed the media rack and the Tunze 9002. On the skimmer body there is a line drawn, which indicates the waterline where it should be for a proper skimmer performance. It is difficult to get the water level exact on the line where it should be. Practically, how do I handle this? Is is beter to have the waterline over that line, or under, if I have to choose?

I would chose over the line but still make sure it is under the top of the skimmer lid. Overall, a little over or under has not hindered my skimmers performance that much.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would chose over the line but still make sure it is under the top of the skimmer lid. Overall, a little over or under has not hindered my skimmers performance that much.

Thanks. How are the mermaids doing?

The first 2 days, the Tunze did nothing, and now........it's rocking, producing tea like liquid. And the noice, after a full year, I got rid of the noise. I'm preparing to set the old skimmer on fire, just for the celebration.

Thanks. How are the mermaids doing?

The first 2 days, the Tunze did nothing, and now........it's rocking, producing tea like liquid. And the noice, after a full year, I got rid of the noise. I'm preparing to set the old skimmer on fire, just for the celebration.

Mermades were good, but scared of all the hurricanes. :)

Yes, the noise is the biggest imporvement. That is what it will produce, sounds like it is working great. Just send it back to Pinky on fire, she likes that stuff. ;)

Update

I am making the bracket standard on all production racks. It will make things easier for all customers as you will not have to note if you need it or not any more. 70% of you are ordering it with the bracket so it is on there for good! For those that are mounting the Tunze to the back of the tank, you will now have a nice handle for easy removal. Enjoy

Hey Stevie

I have been using my rack for a while now and it still seems to be a VERY tight fit. I have to struggle to get it out when I want to access my media. The 'handle' broke off the first day I had it. The glue is not strong enough to use it to pull out the rack. Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a certain way to put it in?

Thanks

Make sure you have it in the correct way. The inTank logo should be facing you when looking throught the electrical pannel. On the bracket, sorry that it broke off. It is only there as a favor to customers wanting to mount the tunze to the rack and not do any other mods. I still recommend mounting the Tunze to the rear of the tank as the rack was not designed to be a hold point for a piece of equipment, only for filtration media.

The braket was simply there to hold forces of the skimmer, and not as a handle. Some tanks have more silicone than others, maybe that is what is catching on the rack? Keep me informed, the directions included with all racks and cups indicate the correct way to install the equipment.

Is the fit tight because there is a skimmer attached or is it tight in the tank anyways?

Hey Stevie

I have been using my rack for a while now and it still seems to be a VERY tight fit. I have to struggle to get it out when I want to access my media. The 'handle' broke off the first day I had it. The glue is not strong enough to use it to pull out the rack. Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a certain way to put it in?

Thanks

I have to remove the inlet comb, before I can put in or pull the rack out. If not doing this, I notice a restistance. And I can imagine by doing this with force, you can easily break the handle.

I have to remove the inlet comb, before I can put in or pull the rack out. If not doing this, I notice a restistance. And I can imagine by doing this with force, you can easily break the handle.

Are you sure you are putting it in the correct way? I have designed the rack with the intake grate in mind. I know there is a lip there that the rack needs to get over. So I have offset one side of the brackets to compensate for this.

Notice the area that will allow the intake grate lip to slid through?

IMG_4489.jpg

IMG_4491.jpg

IMG_4492.jpg

StevieT - You're mods look great for the RSM!

I want to buy the rack and skimmer cup from you. Please send me details on what is available and how to purchase them from you.

Thanks!

You are right Steve, I've put the rack on the wrong side. Now there is no resistance, and the rack I can easily pull it out and slide it in for maintenance. Great!

You are right Steve, I've put the rack on the wrong side. Now there is no resistance, and the rack I can easily pull it out and slide it in for maintenance. Great!

Awesome!

I figured you had it in the wrong way, it only fits in one way because of the intake grate lip. Enjoy

johnfishnovice

hi

received the cup and rack today

im so happy its looks great and so professional!

thankyou steve

now i have to buy everything else

these are my first 2 bits for my future RSM setup... ( i dont even own a tank yet!!!lol)

again thanks steve

i thought i would post this just so everyone who is interested and is not sure... i would recommend you purchase the cup and rack and you will receive it in the mail...

again thanks mate (from australia)

Thanks guys! Glad they all made it safe to your international locations, but after those pack jobs, it would be pretty tough to hurt anything :D

The chemie-pure bag in the media rack is causing flow restriction (I change my floss every 2 days). Mine Tunze is already sitting pretty low, and I'm having trouble to get the waterline high enough for a proper skimming. I'm having a bad idea to put the chemie-pure bag in the chamber of death, or has anyone any other idea to solve this problem?

NO, don't put it in the chamber of death.

This is a common problem because the chemi pure is so large. Have you tied it to the middle shelve as shown in the directions? This solves 99% of flow problems with that bag.

Another thing to try is only using a small bit of floss. Don't pack the first shelve full of it, there is no need. Only use a small handful if it is fibers, or only use 2-3 squares if you have to cut it.

I am having GREAT success with a product that looks like this:

p_117475_12744Z.jpg

It catches all detritus, but doesn't need to be changed as often as it lets in more flow.

jeromecolombo

Hello Steve (From France...),

I saw your wonderful media rack, and, since my red sea max original skimmer work very well, I would like to know if you plan to do a different media rack for red sea max standard skimmer ? Thanks for answering, and... hope to read you soon ! Thanks again for all (It's very helpfull for novice, like me !).

Regards,

Jerome

Hello Steve (From France...),

I saw your wonderful media rack, and, since my red sea max original skimmer work very well, I would like to know if you plan to do a different media rack for red sea max standard skimmer ? Thanks for answering, and... hope to read you soon ! Thanks again for all (It's very helpfull for novice, like me !).

Regards,

Jerome

Hey Jerome-

I had put some thought into that idea in the beginning of things. I wanted to offer RSM customers with any skimmer the chance to enjoy a simplified filtration.

But unfortunately it will not work. If you put any media on top of the skimmer pump, it will block so much flow that the pumps will starve and you will be very mad :)

I know some tanks can handle a little filtration like a sponge over the intake, but I can not risk making a product that will effect flow in some tanks.

Your best bet is to get that amazing 9002 so I can ship you a media basket and skimmer cup, and you will no longer have to deal with the noise and chamber of death :P:DB)

thanks for the note, stay in touch if you decide to hear your brain think

The Propagator

Steve if you want to have CRYSTAL CLEAR water then go to a fabric store and buy some cheap polyester matting. ( not batting.. matting.. it looks like the bonded pad you have shown but its all white polyester. )

Its the only thing I will put in my sumps now. I swear to gdo it catche smore stuff and filters better then anything I have ever used and costs all ove $5.00 for a frick'n 9 foot x 3 foot ROLL :lol:

Steve if you want to have CRYSTAL CLEAR water then go to a fabric store and buy some cheap polyester matting. ( not batting.. matting.. it looks like the bonded pad you have shown but its all white polyester. )

Its the only thing I will put in my sumps now. I swear to gdo it catche smore stuff and filters better then anything I have ever used and costs all ove $5.00 for a frick'n 9 foot x 3 foot ROLL :lol:

interesting, I have the stuffing crap you can buy at the fabric store, I switch that on and off. The problem is that these fiber suffings and filters work too well! So they can clog up flow in just a few days, starving pumps and messing with the ATO in the RSM tank.

I'll have to check that out, but I don't know if I can fit that price into my budget B)

Propagator,

Can you place a picture of the polyester matting?

Thanks!

Propagator,

Can you place a picture of the polyester matting?

Thanks!

Be careful using too much, it can really clog up flow in the RSM if you do not change frequently

Be careful using too much, it can really clog up flow in the RSM if you do not change frequently

OK -- this is the same old issue -- picking the "right" amount of floss!

How about posting a picture of what you think is the best amount?

Archived