ReefCleaners.org

***StevieT's Media Rack for the RSM ***

StevieT

OK -- this is the same old issue -- picking the "right" amount of floss!

How about posting a picture of what you think is the best amount?

good point

for now, while I am away.

two squares cut to fit, stacked one on top the of the other in the rack of this stuff

p_117475_12744Z.jpg

You can get away from the frequent changes with this poly filter. The fiber stuff does great but clogs up very quickly. If you travel or are not by the tank as often, try this poly pad, cut to fit, two squares and forget. I have found that it last over 2 weeks without changing. Not that I recommend that from a nitrate standpoint, but if you have to be away, it will not clog up and effect an ATO or return pump.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Propagator

I just use one layer of polyester.

BUT If I have over fed and I really want to fine filter it I use 2 layers.

It really is that effective. Its basically all those polyp pads are that you pay out the wazoo for for a frigg'n 6" pad. Only a soft version.

• 1 month later...

Hey Stevie,

After owning the media rack for a while I wanted to just give a little feedback about the top brace/handle.

The handle is an obvious must. It allows for greater stability and ease of removal, but it does sometimes get in the way. For me I take the filter floss out and replace it without even moving the rack, since the tunze cord is so short that its hard to do otherwise. What this causes me to do is having to squeeze my hand into the rack past the brace. I actually broke mine off. A little glue will set it straight, but all the same its something worth mentioning. Also since it is square there are some semi sharp edges that make it tasty to be poking around.

One suggestion and it may not be viable or any better, but would be to use a cylinder for the brace instead of the rectangle and possible drill holes for it in the side walls. I think if people really are using it as a handle it might be better a bit more secured and rounded.

All the same I love it, but thats just my two sense.

Also I was sorta curious about the weighting of your cup upgrade. The tube is off center and I know a small knock will make my cup fall to the right. I'm guessing the tube is where it is to allow for more space to the left of the cup for ATO, chiller, etc, but the stability is not quite as good and the symmetrical stock cup. Not annoying enough to go back to the stock, just something I have to be cautious about.

Keep trucking love your stuff.

Thanks for the feedback.

On the brace. I am going to be changing it to the rear to aid in removal of filter floss. I do not have one on my rack, it was never in the orginal design, and is there as a favor to those that want to mount the Tunze to the rack, which developed as these things got popular. Price is a factor as well, I could make it just like my other shelving, but that would add to the cost of the rack. But if that is needed so be it. There are a lot of solutions that could be thought up, I am just trying to limit cost, materials aren't the issue, it is labor to cut and build them.

I don't feel it is super necessary as if you had the Tunze mounted to it, the rack can only move so much before hitting a molding piece in the tank. If you don't have the Tunze mounted to it, then it really isn't necessary to keep at all, unless you like the handle effect.

I believe I will build the top like the other shelving, that will give you plenty of room to get your hand in, it will take 4 extra 18mm pieces of acrylic, and it will give the support that is needed, I have herd this from others so I suppose it is time to incorporate it into the final design.

The cup is off center for that exact reason, it has to be to fit. They should stay ballanced, a small lean won't effect any performance. If it is becoming a problem glue a small brace underneath to rest on the top of the skimmer. Your tube is possibly not perfectly straight? Sorry about that, a simple brace should do the trick.

Trucking on :D

and f yeah, I have a website

mediabaskets.com

future rack owners can order from there.

• 3 weeks later...

where can i get some of that white great stuff been looking every where and im new to the sight i need it for sumin not fishtank related :D:scarry::scarry:

was talin bout the egg creat stuff lol my b on posting on the pics lol

By popular demand, I have redesigned this rack once again.

I understand that most are mounting the Tunze to the media rack, my first addition was a brace that was to provide horozantal support to the top part of the rack. This held the weight of the skimmer. But this became a handle and also was in the way when removing floss. The rack can only move so far inside the tank before hitting glass molding pieces, but something new was needed.

This new design is very strong, it is based off the other brakets I use for the shelving. It provides the needed support, and allows for full access to the filter floss.

IMG_8154.jpg

IMG_8158.jpg

The rack does fit in most 130D tanks. I have herd of one report where the lip on the intake grate stuck out a little too far and the rack go caught. The solution was to break that piece off which is very easy. If anyone can provide a good picture of this lip/extended piece with a ballpark dimension, I can look into recessing my shelving to accommodate. Otherwise the solution is to break that piece off with a pliers or screw driver. It is unneeded and is for assembly only.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi i received my media rack for the red sea max and collection cup for the tunze. I just wanted to say that i was very impressed with how professional the packing was acually i have never had anything sent to me with so much care and perfection in just the packageing. As far as the actual items they are perfect as well. I can tell that steve cares alot about what he does and puts alot of thought into everything so thumbs up to steve

Thanks,

Chris :bowdown:

Im about to install everything tonight just wondering if it would be better to mount the skimmer magnet to the glass seperating the heater

thanks

stevie, 2 questions.

Does that glue work well, and where can I find some of it? I want to build couple of small acrylic boxes to put sand into and have my shrooms and rics attach to live rock rubble (in the frag tank), and 2 ever get that pm from me, with the drawing for what I need done?

i might be gettign the rack soon but idk might just run stock..

is the stock skimmer any good? i dont wana spend the $$ if i dont gota the stock skimmer in the max im getting has been lowered(or sumin like that) so its exactily like the 130d but its just the 130

Hi i received my media rack for the red sea max and collection cup for the tunze. I just wanted to say that i was very impressed with how professional the packing was acually i have never had anything sent to me with so much care and perfection in just the packageing. As far as the actual items they are perfect as well. I can tell that steve cares alot about what he does and puts alot of thought into everything so thumbs up to steve

Thanks,

Chris :bowdown:

Im about to install everything tonight just wondering if it would be better to mount the skimmer magnet to the glass seperating the heater

thanks

Thank you. I have always found it important to pack things with care, damaged materials cost me money so it is better in the long run. Plus it is fun and it looks cool when you receive it!

No, I wouldn't mount the tunze to the heater glass. I don't think there is enough room for the magent, and if there is, it will be very hard to adjust to the proper water level. The best options are to mount it to the media rack or customize it to mount to the rear of your tank.

stevie, 2 questions.

Does that glue work well, and where can I find some of it? I want to build couple of small acrylic boxes to put sand into and have my shrooms and rics attach to live rock rubble (in the frag tank), and 2 ever get that pm from me, with the drawing for what I need done?

Weldon is a hard one to find in a hardware store. It isn't a glue but a solvent that chemically welds the acrylic together. You may find something similar at a hobby shop. If you need some for more than one job, head over to tap plastics and buy weldon #4, the smaller container will be plenty. Pick up an applicator as well (the bottle one with the needle)

440_hypoapplicator.jpg

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=170&

I remember seeing the drawing but nothing on exact dimentions which are needed. If you can get those to me I can start the build on the frag rack for you. If you want I can build the boxes for you as well, I have all the tools to make a good box, basically my skimmer cups are boxes.

i might be gettign the rack soon but idk might just run stock..

is the stock skimmer any good? i dont wana spend the $$ if i dont gota the stock skimmer in the max im getting has been lowered(or sumin like that) so its exactily like the 130d but its just the 130

no, the stock skimmer is pretty ineffective. But you should run it stock for a bit and test it out. After you stock up and if you are unhappy with it's performance then you can upgrade if you feel it is important. You may get lucky with a unit that works, most don't worldwide.

yea thats what ive been hereing but wanted to conferm it with you :bowdown: lol (GETTIN MINE 2 MAROW SO PUMPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Thank you. I have always found it important to pack things with care, damaged materials cost me money so it is better in the long run. Plus it is fun and it looks cool when you receive it!

No, I wouldn't mount the tunze to the heater glass. I don't think there is enough room for the magent, and if there is, it will be very hard to adjust to the proper water level. The best options are to mount it to the media rack or customize it to mount to the rear of your tank.

Weldon is a hard one to find in a hardware store. It isn't a glue but a solvent that chemically welds the acrylic together. You may find something similar at a hobby shop. If you need some for more than one job, head over to tap plastics and buy weldon #4, the smaller container will be plenty. Pick up an applicator as well (the bottle one with the needle)

440_hypoapplicator.jpg

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=170&

I remember seeing the drawing but nothing on exact dimentions which are needed. If you can get those to me I can start the build on the frag rack for you. If you want I can build the boxes for you as well, I have all the tools to make a good box, basically my skimmer cups are boxes.

no, the stock skimmer is pretty ineffective. But you should run it stock for a bit and test it out. After you stock up and if you are unhappy with it's performance then you can upgrade if you feel it is important. You may get lucky with a unit that works, most don't worldwide.

ill get ya the dimensions. as for the glue, i was talking about the 3m stuff in your first post of this thread.

well let me know what it'll cost me for the racks and the boxes before ya build them for me, i cant go out spending a ton of money right now :(

ill get ya the dimensions. as for the glue, i was talking about the 3m stuff in your first post of this thread.

well let me know what it'll cost me for the racks and the boxes before ya build them for me, i cant go out spending a ton of money right now :(

After I see dimentions and compute that into build cost I can give you a quote. I would never build before well one payment and two a quote. I don't recommend the 3M glue I used, it faild really bad. Super glue gel would work better than that crap did, or a two part epoxy.

ok thanks. i only need the support beams (the vertical piece), no need for boxes, i used eggcrate and built boxes that I can bury. Pm will be sent shortly.

Cool. I could also cut you the acrylic for the boxes if you want and then you can put it together.

I will watch out for the PM, will respond tomorrow when I get back to the office. I have been here since 9am working and I am outtie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
sitandwatch

Just got my rack and cup and they are great, I gave the box to my kid to open and he just keep pulling out packing I have never seen such a great pack he turned part of it into a bridge between two chairs quite funny

Great product bye one so he can more stuff.

Thanks Stevie as sorry about the guilt :)

:lol: thanks again for your order. I am guessing he used the 1" honeycomb to make the bridge. I love that stuff and it lets me sleep at night knowing that everything will arrive nice and safe. Enjoy.
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice to see the store is gonna be open again soon,still need a media basket since when you replace the standard skimmer with the tunze it's very hard to place any filtration stuff in the filter area...My tank is just 3 months and the rocks are still spewing out allot of cr*p...

• 2 months later...
Hi,

I have received my media rack, it's great! it really improve my RSM ! Lot of thanks ! :lol:

Thank you again for your purchase! :welcome: to Nano-Reef

• 2 weeks later...

Archived