Top Shelf Aquatics

***StevieT's Media Rack for the RSM ***

StevieT

The media rack has made such a difference in my tank! Now that all the water is forced down the column, thru the sponge, phoszorb, purigen and chemi pure, my tank never looked better! Thanks again Steve!

You're welcome! I am glad it made some difference in the tank.

Ready for UPS to pick up:

IMG_4507.jpg

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh, I know where one of those is going!

Upgrade!

DoR

Plus, shouldn't that logo be "IN TANG" instead of "in tank"???

hehe...

DoR

These things are packed so well, they probably could withstand a nuclear war. Great job Steve!

impressive AND very professional packaging indeed, and believe me I see a lot of packages moving everyday ! ;)

impressive AND very professional packaging indeed, and believe me I see a lot of packages moving everyday ! ;)

Thank you. I have to UPS proof these things. They are protected with 1" hexicomb around the entire rack, then another layer on the top and bottom of the box. Hopefully bulletproof!

I'm so disappointed..... I'd buy one if you still had the cool logo. :P

haha, I still have one of those logos on my car, and the forklift at work do you want to either of them? ;)

Hi all, just confirmed my order for the "StevieT Special All In One Box" can't wait now, I'm making some place in one of 'my' plane :D

RayWhisperer
haha, I still have one of those logos on my car, and the forklift at work do you want to either of them? ;)
Some day I'll see that on your car. I'll run you down and beat you silly for discontinuing such an awesome logo. :D

Think how much added value it has now?! It is a collectors item and can be sold on Ebay in a few years for thousands.

hello Steve :)

Using your modified cup, can the tunze 9002 be positioned with a higher water level ? Today I have to keep the water level lower than the top of the RSM if I want to be able to close the lid -_-

Yes and no.

It really is going to depend on your tank. If you raise the water level too high in the RSM, you will have a surface film problem. I have to keep mine just bellow the back molding for it to skim properly.

Also, the rack will cause the water levels between the rack and the skimmer chamber to be different. It will be around a 1/2" difference just becuase it forces flow downwards instead of sidways now. The skimmer chamber will have the lower water level.

You will be able to run the skimmer at the water line, or anywhere on the body now since the cup will fit anywhere in the chamber. Hope that helps.

Also, the rack will cause the water levels between the rack and the skimmer chamber to be different. It will be around a 1/2" difference just becuase it forces flow downwards instead of sidways now. The skimmer chamber will have the lower water level.

good :)

I have another question ;)

when the media rack is in place, do you think it is possible to hold the tunze 9002 (with the original magnet on the side) against the media rack ? the extra magnet would be placed inside the rack.

I have one customer doing that, it is a much easier option for mounting. But I do not exactly recommend it. The rack is solid, but I have never personally tested such a mounting, so I can not exatcly say what it is going to do.

It may lean the rack a bit.. but it should catch on the inner molding in the tank.

I didn't design it for this so I can't say do it. The better option is to mount it using magents to the back glass of the tank.

But if you want to try it, I would be interested in the results, that customer never said if anything was hurt by mounting it that way.

Ok the night is gone, the sun is already high in the sky and my tunze attached to the media rack works very well. I don't think (and I hope) it will be an issue. Indeed, the tunze doesn't weigh much so I think the media rack structure integrity won't suffer from a decompression (watch too much star trek :D ). This way, I didn't have to add a magnet on the largerst side of the tunze to attach it to the back of the tank.

Maybe a reinforcer could be placed on the top of the media rack between the two sides ?

post-37131-1214298506_thumb.jpg

There is a certain elegance to this configuration. I really like the idea of a positive alignment reference between the rack and the skimmer. We could add a small acrylic block that would align the bottom corner of the skimmer and the rack -- this would prevent any misalignment of the skimmer.

Nothing's ever finished!

Oh no! Now I have to think of another component! Fun B)

That is great news about mounting it on the media rack. That should help a lot of people out. Is that all that is needed? I piece at the top? That is a pretty easy addition as it wouldn't have to be very thick, around the width of the side braces. It would also give the user a handle to lift out the rack when needed.

Oh no! Now I have to think of another component! Fun B)

"The lure of perfection is powerful, Captain." 7/9 to Captain Janeway, Star Trek Voyager #96 "Drone" :D

It would also give the user a handle to lift out the rack when needed.

Good point, that was exactly what I thought when I was working on it yesterday. The only small issue I have is with the Tunze cable going to the electricity compartment, imo it's too short and you have to move it to remove the media rack. Maybe I'm going to change my plug setting.

yes, I have the same issue with the cord as well. I need to put an extension on it at some point, but my rack doesn't need to be removed that often. I see you have a sponge on one of your inner shelves so I can see you removing it more often. For me I have media that lasts 3-5 months so removal is very minimal.

Hey Stevie T,

Just in case you did not see my other post I am interested in purchasing a media rack and the tunze cup(willing to pay with the media rack and just send it out when its ready). Please email me at w1namp@hotmail.com and let me know how you would like to set this up.

Thanks,

Raj

Hey Stevie T,

Just in case you did not see my other post I am interested in purchasing a media rack and the tunze cup(willing to pay with the media rack and just send it out when its ready). Please email me at w1namp@hotmail.com and let me know how you would like to set this up.

Thanks,

Raj

electronic mail sent through the internets B)

Don't shoot me, I'm not an RSM owner. B) I was getting really jealous of the great add ons that Steve T has done for the RSM community and I wanted something similar for my Cadlights 39g Signature. I couldn't wait for Steve to customize for other AOIs so I asked if he might tweak the design a bit for me to make this workable for my Cad. My DIY skills are pretty poor and that's being kind so if I tried this myself, I might have it next year.

After some consultation with Steve, we came up with two minor 'add on' modifications that would make the RSM model completely workable for the Cad. A little 2" booster on the bottom at a 90 degree angle so that the flow from Chamber 1 to Chamber 2 is not blocked and a 90 degree rotation of the whole unit when installed. While it has a little play in the Chamber, I pushed it all the way up front and I think its fantastic!!!

I put in my Chemipure Elite and Purigen and woke up this morning to the clearest tank ever !!! Thanks Steve for working with me on the mods. You're the best !!

NOTE

Just a note for anyone ordering these and using them as a mount for the Tunze skimmer.

I can attach a bracket which will give more support to the top half and give you a handle for removing. Please note this when placing an order because as of right now, it is not included on all racks. Thanks!

Here is a simple add on to the rack that will allow proper loads to be put on it without the top part spreading or stressing. This can be used so you can mount the Tunze 9002 directly to the media rack without epoxying magnets to the side of the skimmer.

For now this is per request only, it also gives you a nice handle to remove the rack when doing maintenance. I still recommend mounting the skimmer to the back wall of the tank, but there have been good results with using the rack, the rack is still designed to only hold media, legal stuff haha B) .

IMG_4609.jpg

IMG_4610.jpg

IMG_4612.jpg

IMG_4613.jpg

Anxiously awaiting my new media rack. The question I have now is, what do I put in it? I see that you have the filter floss at the top, the RSM Mechanical filter in the middle, but what is that little pouch at the bottom, is that your carbon?

I have to run to the store to get the stuff, I choppedy my mechanical filter into little bits troubleshooting micro bubbles in the RSM. I'm sure it's fairly worthless at this point. Some people have mentioned ChemiPure and Purigen. What are these, and how do they help me?

Archived