inTank Media Baskets

***StevieT's Media Rack for the RSM ***

StevieT

I do not run the sponge any more. I have been using floss only since I was sick of changing the sponges every week and the floss is the better route anyways.

I am running purigen in the middle and chemi pure elite on the bottom. Basicall chemi pure is super carbon that lasts much longer 3-4 months before changing. It not only helps with water perams such as nitrates, it absorbs and nutralized coral toxins. It clears the water and gives it a nice tint. I have been running it in my tanks for years, FW and SW, and I recommend it since I get great results from it's use. Purigen is about the same, it may be overkill running both but it helps with nitrates.

UPS guy picked up your box, you should see it soon, tracking will be available tonight when it hits the distribution center.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks good, but you can find the filter floss in the sewing section at most walmarts or other craft shops in HUGE bags for about that price. The stuff you picked out is fine, but just an FYI, basically stuffing material in animals/bears is what works.

if you buy the floss there, don't get the coarse stuff

Phullbrick

Hi Steve,

I have a small issue with my tunze ATO which is located in the skimmer chamber, next to him. I just realized after few days that my tank water level raised above the bottom of the black molding when I used to keep it just like you about 1/4 below, where it is just fine with the intake grate : I mean no surface film

The reason it went to high is sometimes my white soft filter (nylon) can get really dirty (even if I try to change it on a 2 day basis), it gets harder for the water to pass through, the level in the skimmer chamber drops and the ATO compensates, but the level really raises in the tank not really in the skimmer chamber.

I think your home made ATO is located in the skimmer room too. Do you have any advice ? :happy:

I think I will remove any media from the media rack when I'll have to go on vacation, I can't take the risk to stop the water flow and get my ATO mad :o

I could put my ATO sensors in the main tank (which is not really nice imo) but I won't be sure to keep the right water level for the skimmer room, this is why I choose to fix them in the skimmer chamber.

post-37131-1215517991_thumb.jpg

I have a JBJ ATO and even with the rack it is working well. I have the float sensor mounted on a magnet so it is easily adjustable. I have it in about the same spot as yours and yes, dirty floss can clog flow. Have you always been running floss in the tank? My floss gets changed every 4-6 days and it doesn't seem to effect the ATO until it gets really clogged up. Watch out for the other media in your rack and make sure it is giving the shelving good flow. Try tying up larger media to a shelve.

Your ATO should still work in the rear chamber, I wouldn't move it into the display just because it is risky with snails and ugly! :D

Possibly try a different kind of floss, or less of the kind you are using. You may just be collecting a lot detritus right now. Are you shutting off your pumps when you feed? Try not to suck up extra food, it can clog it quicker.

I will be removing my floss when I go on vacation as well, it is just too risky as you said to mess up the ATO. How easy is it to move your float sensors? Maybe you need to lower them just a bit to compensate for the lower levels.

When are we going to start seeing Media Rack production for other AIO systems? :P

Really soon I hope!

Need dimentions and people that want to test them out!

I've got a NC12, and I'd be more than happy to help....I am writing a paper for grad class right now that I am procrastinating past the point of no return, after I meet my deadline I will measure all 3 chambers if you would like.

I would love to easily be able to pull out my floss-->purigen-->chemipure chamber.

I've also been trying to think of a way to easily pull my chaeto without making a mess to rinse detritus every few weeks.

PS: I've been following this for a bit even though I don't own a RSM, I'm impressed with the polished production of these things! Nice job Stevie!

Thank you. I actually have a NC that I purchased a while back for $20, it doesn't have any pumps, just a shell but I wanted to use it for basket research in the future. I think it is larger than 12 gallons though, maybe 14, it looks close to one of those. 2 straight chambers with say like 2 in the middle for media. The intake chamber has two inlets so I suppose water would run through the media just fine.

On these other tanks I need to make a footing to sit at the bottom so water can run out. IN the RSM it rests on a 2" piece of glass that was there to rest the stock skimmer on. With your tanks, it would rest on the bottom and block flow.

I would love to get one on a NC, if you get me dimentions I can check with the one I have here, hopefully they are the same so I can do test fitting.

Demand for other tanks right now is on the

Aquapod

Nano Cube

Biocube 29

My rack does fit in the Cad 39 with feet mounted to the bottom, but it is not as tight as I would like.

I appreciate the help!

secret release, there is a design for a fuge to work with many tanks that can be easily removed, included led lighting.... still on the drawing board with my super duper engineer

I could be totally wrong, but I don't think they make a 14g NanoCube, I do know they make a 14g Aquapod.

I know for myself and many NC12 users that flow in the rear chambers is a major concern, and what I believe to be one of the major culprits in using chemical media is that it has a tendency to compact itself very tightly over time and restrict water movement. Even with a MJ1200, I have pretty slow movement behind the false wall. I forgot that I had to troubleshoot the arrangement I listed above earlier. I also resorted to splitting that chemi-pure elite bag into smaller portions. I now use about half of it in a mesh media bag for better flow.

What my chambers look like now is

Chamber 1:| Chamber 2:| Chamber 3: |

----------|-----------|-----------|

--Floss----|--Chaeto---|-2 Heaters--|

Chemipure-|--Purigen---|Maxijet 1200|

I would like to keep all my chemical media in chamber one or two if possible, it would give me additional fuge space or allow me to have a skimmer (if the Sapphire ever actually goes on sale) but the issue is that it compacts so much, having space between would make this possible.

Some type of removable fuge would be awesome for cleaning, I feel as though every time I pull my wad of chaeto out of its chamber to rinse it I get a ton of detritus and pieces of chaeto which end up back in the tank. Another key danger is getting scraps of chaeto in the return pump, which clogs the impeller and makes for frequent annoying cleanings. Some people combat this with a pre-filter sponge, but then you have yet another nitrate trap to clean.

More food for thought: The only effective skimmer I know of which fits in the rear of a NC12 is the Sapphire offered by Nanotuners/Nanocustoms. I've been waiting to purchase one since I found out they were returning to the market, but they've been pre-order only for months. They were supposed to start shipping in May/June, but as far as I've know that status has not changed....finding a solution for such a small skimmer space would mean some big business.

The NC12 is without a doubt pretty small, and the rear chambers are pretty limited in their options, but nonetheless it is still a very popular AIO system, and its users make the most of it. I love mine, and even if I upgrade soon plan to keep it in operation. For some time I have been hoping to make some modifications to the rear chambers. I am 100% on board for any information you may need Stevie. I will get you some measurements and maybe some better diagrams a bit later or tomorrow if I can.

For now its back to my miserable paper.

Hi there, I'm new to this site after being show the link by Reefmack at the RSMreefers website, some really usefull info on here. I have just enquired about the Media Rack for my RSM but was hoping somebody could answer a few things for me. The skimmer on my Max does not perform that bad, it's the noise that bugs me most, is the Tunze alot quieter?, I also think that there is alot of heat generated by the stock skimmer, I have turned my thermostat off and temp is fine. I have just returned from the U.S.(great time in non-tourist area) and bought some ChemiPure Elite while I was there, I am running it though a cannister filter, what amount of water changes are you doing when running it? It states that no water changes are required, but not sure if I believe that!! :unsure:

Sorry for so many questions but I thought I might as well ask them all now!

Thanks for any help. PS Complete beginner, been running max for about 10 months.

Hi there, I'm new to this site after being show the link by Reefmack at the RSMreefers website, some really usefull info on here. I have just enquired about the Media Rack for my RSM but was hoping somebody could answer a few things for me. The skimmer on my Max does not perform that bad, it's the noise that bugs me most, is the Tunze alot quieter?, I also think that there is alot of heat generated by the stock skimmer, I have turned my thermostat off and temp is fine. I have just returned from the U.S.(great time in non-tourist area) and bought some ChemiPure Elite while I was there, I am running it though a cannister filter, what amount of water changes are you doing when running it? It states that no water changes are required, but not sure if I believe that!! :unsure:

Sorry for so many questions but I thought I might as well ask them all now!

Thanks for any help. PS Complete beginner, been running max for about 10 months.

Well, I don't think I would consider you a beginner at 10 months! Reefmack is a good guy, I appreciate his referals, I have my tank on that website, but the pictures are so old, I need to update them at some time.

The Tunze is a very quiet skimmer. The stock skimmer was very loud and as soon as I plugged in the Tunze, I could hear my brain again!!! My stock skimmer did not perform for squat, I would get a thick skimmate in the neck over a long period of time, but no skimmate. The tunze just ripps it out daily. I think for you the noise reduction will be the best bennifit, I can hear the fans up close to the tank over the skimmer. The tunze also runs very cool, my temps stay at 79 in the winter and 80-81 in the summer.

Are you still running the stock heater? That may be causing a few of your heat issues, it is a really junky heater, I switched to a stealth ($16) and noticed my temps stabilaze instantly.

I am doing 10% water changes weekly. No, the chemi pure is not a replacement for water changes, maybe in freshwater or a fish only set up, but not in a reef. The main bennifit of water changes is to replace trace elements and especially calcium. It also removes nitrates and adds to the overall health of your reef. I wish they wouldn't put that on the back of the can, it is false in a reef tank!

Let me know if you have anything else, also check out my thread, click my signature, all topics are indexed on the first page.

I could be totally wrong, but I don't think they make a 14g NanoCube, I do know they make a 14g Aquapod.

I know for myself and many NC12 users that flow in the rear chambers is a major concern, and what I believe to be one of the major culprits in using chemical media is that it has a tendency to compact itself very tightly over time and restrict water movement. Even with a MJ1200, I have pretty slow movement behind the false wall. I forgot that I had to troubleshoot the arrangement I listed above earlier. I also resorted to splitting that chemi-pure elite bag into smaller portions. I now use about half of it in a mesh media bag for better flow.

What my chambers look like now is

Chamber 1:| Chamber 2:| Chamber 3: |

--Floss----|--Chaeto---|-2 Heaters--|

Chemipure-|--Purigen---|Maxijet 1200|

I would like to keep all my chemical media in chamber one or two if possible, it would give me additional fuge space or allow me to have a skimmer (if the Sapphire ever actually goes on sale) but the issue is that it compacts so much, having space between would make this possible.

Some type of removable fuge would be awesome for cleaning, I feel as though every time I pull my wad of chaeto out of its chamber to rinse it I get a ton of detritus and pieces of chaeto which end up back in the tank. Another key danger is getting scraps of chaeto in the return pump, which clogs the impeller and makes for frequent annoying cleanings. Some people combat this with a pre-filter sponge, but then you have yet another nitrate trap to clean.

More food for thought: The only effective skimmer I know of which fits in the rear of a NC12 is the Sapphire offered by Nanotuners/Nanocustoms. I've been waiting to purchase one since I found out they were returning to the market, but they've been pre-order only for months. They were supposed to start shipping in May/June, but as far as I've know that status has not changed....finding a solution for such a small skimmer space would mean some big business.

The NC12 is without a doubt pretty small, and the rear chambers are pretty limited in their options, but nonetheless it is still a very popular AIO system, and its users make the most of it. I love mine, and even if I upgrade soon plan to keep it in operation. For some time I have been hoping to make some modifications to the rear chambers. I am 100% on board for any information you may need Stevie. I will get you some measurements and maybe some better diagrams a bit later or tomorrow if I can.

For now its back to my miserable paper.

thanks, looks like I have a NC 12 gallon then! perfect for our situation I hope.

email me with any further details steve.taggart@us.atlascopco.com

Sounds good Steve, I am going to try and draw up some stuff today but can't find my C.A.D. software, I may have to settle for paint <_<

I'll shoot you some mail later today, I should have the time.

Possibly try a different kind of floss, or less of the kind you are using. You

This was the key Steve.

I used to insert too much floss. Today, I only use a very small quantity compared to before and I spread it to fill the space and it works very well, no more water level variation. I really enjoy a lot the rack everytime I need to access my media ;)

This was the key Steve.

I used to insert too much floss. Today, I only use a very small quantity compared to before and I spread it to fill the space and it works very well, no more water level variation. I really enjoy a lot the rack everytime I need to access my media ;)

Great News!!!! I have to change my floss about every 3-4 days another trick would be to tie any media in the bottom shelve to the middle one if you haven't already.

Good to hear you got the water levels back to normal.

Great News!!!! I have to change my floss about every 3-4 days another trick would be to tie any media in the bottom shelve to the middle one if you haven't already.

Yes I was thinking about it as sometimes the media moves when you try to reinsert the rack in its place. I only use some floss and the black stock sponge.

Good to hear you got the water levels back to normal.

Thank you :)

By the way have you ever seen this mod made to the RSM ?

Fgallery32-13.jpg

Source : http://www.rsmreefers.com/gallery32.htm

whoa, that is almost scary!!! That is basically my rack along with some crazy baffels to mount the skimmer to. He must have something available to extrude or stamp that out of plastic! Thanks for the link, I haven't updated my pictures on that site since I joined.

I wonder if he is selling those?

I really have not idea. Never heard of it before.

I think he made it also to trap all the sediment and keep the RSM back clean. I guess it's really easy to clean everything as he just needs to remove the whole mod which is closed. I like the idea and it's a very nice mod which seems to be well done.

It is very interesting. It would be how my rack would look if I were to mass produce them on a grand scale. Maybe not with the skimmer chamber, but I can see how that will keep things cleaner. It is a nice design. If anything, it could act as a fuge if you didn't want to run the skimmer.

• 2 weeks later...

The rack doesn't look like an extrusion or molded part. If you look really close, you can see a joint at the bottom of the angled baffle. I think the guy is just very good in fabricating plastic! I like the idea of a removable assembly except for the hassle of dealing with the skimmer power cord. I much rather your rack design that leaves the skimmer seperate.

The V2.0 rack is working fine. My only challenge is finding the right amount of filter floss so that it captures junk, but doesn't impede flow and mess up the water levels. I'm starting to think that the left side of the rack should be cut shorter, to act as an emergency overflow in case the floss clogs. I had an incident where the water backed up to the top of the rack and caused my ATO to pump in way too much makeup water. Another option would be to build in an adjustable gate.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with too much makeup water?

seeheatherrun

I have a BC14 I'd love to have this rack for. I'm having issues with my chemi-pure compacting itself in the bottom of the middle chamber, reducing flow. I've recently moved the chemi-pure it to the first chamber where I usually keep my heater (removed heater for the summer). I've added chaeto to the middle chamber to help reduce nitrates. Don't yet know how to get under the chaeto to remove the floss I have to catch the debris. Sure would be nice to have everything in a nice little sleeve to pull out and do all of my cleaning!

Archived