Top Posters In This Topic

• scottyreef

• pismo_reefer

• Jacobnano

• lilredneckman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

scottyreef

Well I havent been around much lately my tanks doing fairly well I am away during the week on business so i only get to check her out on the weekends but I'm getting steedy growth through 20% weekly water changes.

I'm not dosing during the week because I'm no there to monitor it but i do add the right stuff to keep up the growth cycle when I'm home.

I'm updating to a MP40esw this weekend and to answer your question glenn the growth is good but one on the monti's is stronger than the others and its killing the super an but thats the way it goes I'll post pic's this weekend of the tank

Edited by scottyreef
Paleoreef103

I think this tank needs some updates! What do you think of the Elos Abyss bulb? I've heard that it is a lot like a radium but a bit stronger. Also, which monti is taking over the disk? Just curious. Love the coral collection.

scottyreef
I think this tank needs some updates! What do you think of the Elos Abyss bulb? I've heard that it is a lot like a radium but a bit stronger. Also, which monti is taking over the disk? Just curious. Love the coral collection.

Yeah i know but i have been working away from home soo much i can't seem to find the time for a proper update. the Elos abyss bulbs are pretty good there not as tidy bowl blue as the radiums which is good they do put out a lot more par and my growth is similar to a 14k bulb so i really like them. as for my multi monti disk the rainbow is doing the growing and the jedi mind trick doing the killing. I'm about to remove the rainbow and put some Mean joe green on it ( it looks like a acid green sunset) Hopefully I'll have some pics up by saturday

Edited by scottyreef
scottyreef

without me realizing it but my tank has been running non stop for over a year now it would be two years but things happen you know. I didnt even lose a day when the old CADlight decided to split in half lol. anyway how time fly's a few years ago i thought the term "nano reef" was kind of a joke but how things have changed in as little as four years. Funny isnt it...I just realized this is year 13 ( I started june of 1997) of me having a reef tank all by my lonesome. I have came a really long way my self with all the disaster tanks i made over the years. But those are stories for another day

Here are the promised pics i didnt get a pic of the multi monti rock so it will have to wait until next sunday at the earliest.

Also I took these as i was leaving this morning and i didnt see the pic until now so they arnt all the best quailty but its a start

I got a few nex things but i dont remember if i posted them already so here you are

IMG_3592.jpg

IMG_3589.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3585.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3581.jpg

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_3576.jpg

I also found myself a person thats going to hook me up with some flamethrower chalice and im not talking about a small frag but a +3" mini colony... Im super stoked lol

Well today i decided that I'm going to try something new in my tank so I just ordered a 500ml bag of NP Biopellets from aqaurium specilty along with another media reactor to run my soild vodka dosing trials in.For those how dont know what soild vodka dosing is this snipet from reef builders will fill you in.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=5742

Solid Vodka Dosing is a relatively new concept from a company called NP Biopellets. The carbon source-infused polymer beads are meant to grow bacteria in layers that could usher in a revolutionary new way to manage nutrients in aquarium water. If it works. We say “if” because although the idea and principles for solid vodka dosing are sound, there has been very little real world testing for the use of Solid Vodka Dosing in home aquaria. To be clear, these nutrient reducing pellets have nothing to do with vodka but the term reflects the regular vodka dosing which many reef aquarists have been using for years now. The Solid Vodka Dosing concept is reminiscent of the good ole Nitrex media that has been in use for freshwater aquariums for decades. According to the manufacturer NP Biopellets, the biodegradable polymer pellets can be placed in a canister or fluidized bed filter. Carbon from the Biopellets will fuel the growth of nitrogen and phosphate consuming bacteria that colonize the pellet in anaerobic and aerobic successions.

The manufacturer of the NP reducing biopellets has a “how it works” page that is lackluster in details of what really drives the solid vodka dosing method. The only real details are that the media takes 2-4 weeks for bacteria to colonize in any siginificant number (which just about anyone can deduce from a basic understanding of bacterial colonization) and that 1 liter of the NP reducing Biopellets is enough media to treat around 500 liters/ 130 gallons of aquarium water. The biopellets should be placed in an area of high flow to prevent the buildup of hydrogen sulfide and to encourage strong bacterial colonization. Using this lightweight media in a fluidized bed scenario might encourage the breaking off of bacterial film that will in turn feed the aquarium corals a-la Zeovit reactor. Whether this home made marine snow is enough to feed and sustain difficult species is totally unknown

Has anyone else on here tried it? I know some people on reefcentral have and i have heard some pretty good reviews best of all you cant over dose your tank which i worried about with straight vodka

I'll keep you guys informed with what i find

• 2 weeks later...

I aquired a very nice show chalice colony a few months back and its has been sitting in my frag system ever since and next I am going to Unvail to a reefer friends next week. I and a few other people have seen its true glory. the frist frags will be sold at auction at the 2010 Inland Empire Coral Farmers Market in Sept. But as of 7/30 i am going to offer a few frags up for pre sale for a cheaper price that it will be sold for in the future

( yes i said cheaper) 4- 3/4" frags @ $125 each.

Goofy Grape Ausie Echinophyllia ( you need to use you imagination lol)

ffdisp5.jpg

the coral is coloration cross between the Creamsicle Chalice LE from WWC & the Golden Galaxy from AQL and also the same speices . its a dark purple with pink and blue highlights with bright yellow/green eyes. the coral also shows a green rim during the first couple months of growth but it fades and turns to pink

http://www.reeffarmers.com/limitedgoldengalaxy.htm

http://www.reeffarmers.com/limitedcreamsiclechalice.htm

Main colony and pictures of frags will fallow very soon

Scott

Last night I upgraded my two mp20's to mp40ESW I know its super over kill but they both are turned way down. I am goin to run it for a while and see if i should just stay with one or just keep them both I am kind of pondering on getting 4 MP-10ESW so i can go full ecosmart mode.......Mmmm

well there both mp40esw at the moment but I'll keep you in mind if I sell one. I got the upgrade kits for M.A.P price so i got a pretty good deal and plus i had a whole bunch of store credit i had to burn

I'm setting up a live camera of this tank hopefully this weekend so i can check on it over the next couple week since i won't be around (got to make that coral money lol). so if anyone want to gander at my tank I am going to post a live feed on ustream.tv along with a feed to my aquacontroller

Wow the tank is looking great man! It is about time I wander back in here :P

Hey I am starting to get into chalices (I know lol) I was wondering, can they sting each other? I mean I have my frogspawn, hammer, and torch right next to each other because they won't sting, but do chalices? I am assuming no, but I want to be safe. I only have one chalice right now anyway though.

Also, got any small frags of chalices you need to get rid of haha?

Nice collection Scotty!!

Hey I am starting to get into chalices (I know lol) I was wondering, can they sting each other? I mean I have my frogspawn, hammer, and torch right next to each other because they won't sting, but do chalices? I am assuming no, but I want to be safe. I only have one chalice right now anyway though.

Some chalices will do fine next to others, but not all. Almost all will at some point show some aggression.

well if they are extacly the same speices they will grow over each other and not kill the other one. but more often then not they will kill each other. A miami huricane has some tentacles over 6" long and its a pretty strong stinger. i have a whole bunch of chalice frags i think i have about 30 frags of about 7-8 types in my frag system. most of them are going to coral swaps and shows i figure i have 8 or 9 up for grabs that i can get rid of. A sponser on here is selling my ziggy stardust chalice along with my pink cotten candy and they are going to be selling my goofy grape chalice when i release it to the public

thanks for the props guys

well if they are extacly the same speices they will grow over each other and not kill the other one. but more often then not they will kill each other. A miami huricane has some tentacles over 6" long and its a pretty strong stinger. i have a whole bunch of chalice frags i think i have about 30 frags of about 7-8 types in my frag system. most of them are going to coral swaps and shows i figure i have 8 or 9 up for grabs that i can get rid of. A sponser on here is selling my ziggy stardust chalice along with my pink cotten candy and they are going to be selling my goofy grape chalice when i release it to the public

thanks for the props guys

@Nugz. Well that is a bummer lol.

That is pretty weird. You would think that since they are all the same family (?) they would want to further their species, not kill each other. Acans don't sting each other :P Wow that is insane. 6 inches! Well if you want to sell those 8 or 9 frags let me know B) That is cool, when you release it to the public eh? Special one I assume?

well you have to look at like acro's they might all be acros but there are differnt speices in each group and on top of that the term chalice applies to, Echinophyllia,Mycedium,Oxypora,Pectinia, Physophyllia and Echinomorpha so thats what can lead to coral stinging. Yeah the coral is from austrialia and its got some pretty intense coloration

A little info on "Chalices"

Oxypora spp.

The most common and well-known of the chalice corals are those from the genus Oxypora. These often have stunning spirals of wafer-thin plates rising from their thick base. Large irregularly spaced corallites are visible, and it's from these corallites that the animal’s polyps and stinging sweeper tentacles emerge. It is important to give this animal an ample buffer zone so it does not sting other sessile invertebrates. These corals do best with brighter lighting and lower flow situations, although like most corals in the family, they are quite tolerant of a wide range of conditions.

Genus Mycedium

Oxypora species are frequently confused with corals from the genus Mycedium. While both may be called chalice corals, Mycedium species are more commonly called elephant nose coral or peacock coral. The corallites of Mycedium species angle toward the outer perimeter of the coral, and this is the easiest way to tell the difference between the two. In addition to their stinging sweeper tentacles, Mycedium species can release toxins into the water as a means of competing with neighboring corals, especially soft corals. Mycedium species are fairly tolerant of varying degrees of lighting and current, and deep water varieties can also do well in low light and shaded situations.

Genus Echinophyllia

Echinophyllia species are favorites amongst reef aquarist looking for a brightly colored, chalice coral. Frequently more colorful than either Oxypora or Mycedium species, Echinophyllia are perhaps even hardier and more tolerant of varying lighting and flow conditions. These corals are capable of aggressive behavior, as they also possess long stinging sweeper tentacles.

Genus Echinopora

Chalice corals from the genus Echinophyllia are often confused with chalice corals from the genus Echinopora. The genus Echinopora is part of the Family Faviidae, which also includes such aquarium favorites as trumpet coral (Caulastrea species) and moon, pineapple or closed brain coral (Favia species). While Echinopora is indeed a Faviid, it can take on a chalice growth pattern. Chalice corals from the genus Echinopora are frequently misidentified as Mycedium or Oxypora species. Echinopora specimens are very hardy and tolerant of varying lighting and flow situations, but they seem to do best in bright light situations with at least moderate current.

Genus Echinomorpha

Chalice corals from the genus Echinomorpha belong to the Family Pectiniidae. There is only one species in the genus, and it is a beauty. Like most of the other corals described, it is a fairly hardy animal that is extremely light tolerant, although it displays its best colors under bright lights

Edited by scottyreef
well you have to look at like acro's they might all be acros but there are differnt speices in each group and on top of that the term chalice applies to, Echinophyllia,Mycedium,Oxypora,Pectinia, Physophyllia and Echinomorpha so thats what can lead to coral stinging. Yeah the coral is from austrialia and its got some pretty intense coloration

A little info on "Chalices"

Oxypora spp.

The most common and well-known of the chalice corals are those from the genus Oxypora. These often have stunning spirals of wafer-thin plates rising from their thick base. Large irregularly spaced corallites are visible, and it's from these corallites that the animal’s polyps and stinging sweeper tentacles emerge. It is important to give this animal an ample buffer zone so it does not sting other sessile invertebrates. These corals do best with brighter lighting and lower flow situations, although like most corals in the family, they are quite tolerant of a wide range of conditions.

Genus Mycedium

Oxypora species are frequently confused with corals from the genus Mycedium. While both may be called chalice corals, Mycedium species are more commonly called elephant nose coral or peacock coral. The corallites of Mycedium species angle toward the outer perimeter of the coral, and this is the easiest way to tell the difference between the two. In addition to their stinging sweeper tentacles, Mycedium species can release toxins into the water as a means of competing with neighboring corals, especially soft corals. Mycedium species are fairly tolerant of varying degrees of lighting and current, and deep water varieties can also do well in low light and shaded situations.

Read on

Boycotting the Trade in Parrotfish

Algae-grazing parrotfishes are not protected and are often available in the tropical aquarium trade. Conservation-minded aquarists should, however, boycott their sale. Genus Echinophyllia

Echinophyllia species are favorites amongst reef aquarist looking for a brightly colored, chalice coral. Frequently more colorful than either Oxypora or Mycedium species, Echinophyllia are perhaps even hardier and more tolerant of varying lighting and flow conditions. These corals are capable of aggressive behavior, as they also possess long stinging sweeper tentacles.

Genus Echinopora

Chalice corals from the genus Echinophyllia are often confused with chalice corals from the genus Echinopora. The genus Echinopora is part of the Family Faviidae, which also includes such aquarium favorites as trumpet coral (Caulastrea species) and moon, pineapple or closed brain coral (Favia species). While Echinopora is indeed a Faviid, it can take on a chalice growth pattern. Chalice corals from the genus Echinopora are frequently misidentified as Mycedium or Oxypora species. Echinopora specimens are very hardy and tolerant of varying lighting and flow situations, but they seem to do best in bright light situations with at least moderate current.

Genus Echinomorpha

Chalice corals from the genus Echinomorpha belong to the Family Pectiniidae. There is only one species in the genus, and it is a beauty. Like most of the other corals described, it is a fairly hardy animal that is extremely light tolerant, although it displays its best colors under bright lights

Duh :facepalm:

ooooh what does it look like?

Cool, the one chalice I have is either an echinophyllia or oxypora. Interesting.

Thanks for all that. I actually read it. Now I know the difference. Interesting that echinopora is actually a faviid. Also about the Echinomorpha, it says there is only one species. That is very cool. Do you have one?

yeah i have one that really a looker

Echinomorpha

IMG_3392.jpg

Echinophyllia tentecals

IMG_3402.jpg

Mycedium

IMG_3400-1.jpg

Oxypora

IMG_3384.jpg

Echinopora

I dont have any more it a too fast of a grower its the hollywood stunner and tyree blue chalice type

Edited by scottyreef

Wow beautiful!

The echinomorpha is insane. How fast of a grower?

Those are actually all pretty nice looking. I envy you Scotty.

Along with being fast growers, I don't find them as colorful as the rest of your chalices.

SLOOOOOOOOW it maybe has grown 1/4" in 6 months i have about 30 different chalice in my collection some ranging for $30 a frag to $300 a eye so it varies. Im nothing to envey i get most of my corals through trades and if i do pay for a coral i usally get a good discount but i spread the love so to speak i am always giving stuff away.............................. If your local mind you ahaha

also on the Echinomorpha they are super low light chalices any high amount of light will bleach them in a matter of days. I still have one recovering after it happened to me