Pod Your Reef

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

FishFreak77

Sexies are so awesome. I too wish to join the club one day. :lol: I had a few questions.

1) I know they are better off in a small tank, but has anyone ever kept them in a 40 breeder. I would like to put a large group of like 5 or 7 in my 40 breeder.

2) Hermits dont tend to bully them do they?

3) Would emerald crabs bother them?

Thanks!

BTW, I had planned on trading in my puffer at the LFS before I got them.

Edited by FishFreak77
1) I know they are better off in a small tank, but has anyone ever kept them in a 40 breeder. I would like to put a large group of like 5 or 7 in my 40 breeder.

I know a few people have kept sexies in larger tanks and it is absolutely possible to do so, but you may not see them too well since they are so small. I say go for it anyways, they are too neat!

2) Hermits dont tend to bully them do they?

Nope, I've watched my sexies fend off the hermits quite easily. :)

3) Would emerald crabs bother them?

I doubt it, unless you have a very aggressive emerald.

HTH

it appears to me now that my lone sexy shrimp has found a place on the back of the rockwork where i think he can see his reflection and this is where hes staying... im afraid hes lonely and thinks his reflection is another shrimp... i guess it wasnt ok to get him by himself despite him being booted by his group...

oh well! 2 more sexies for me :P

I feed them flake food, so in order to make sure they get some and it doesn't float away, I use a pair of mechanics forceps to present it to them. If you use sinking pellets, they should be able to find them without any problem. If you feed frozen, I would spot feed them with a turkey baster. :)

yankeereefer

hi guys 'n gals

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit, been busy tryin' to get my 40B together. My sexies are still doing great. Reproducing regularly at about 2 week intervals. Still haven't taken the time to try and collect any larvae though.

Lalani, your tanks still amaze me as do your photos. I seem to have gotten the upper hand on the diatom problems I was having by adding flow and more frequent water changes.

Just to let any of you know that might be interested, Live Aquaria has sexies on sale right now for $6.99 (regularly $9.99) - I got a few locals to do a group by with me for other stuff and divided the shipping. I have 4 more shrimp coming to add to my existing 3 for ~$40.00 which is good considering the couple stores around here sell them for $20-30 each.

Yankee

Edited by yankeereefer

I was wondering how you were doing! I still haven't had a chance to raise any sexies either. I started a new job, and mom has the tank lights set for 12pm-12am light period, so I'm in bed before the lights even go off, usually.

Yup, I saw the sale price for sexies at df&s... too bad I don't have anyone to split shipping costs with, or I would order three of them. :(

yankeereefer

I expect to possibly see more sexy shrimp club members - I just looked at LiveAquaria's website and there are no more available, even at regular price! I'm assuming I'll get the 4 I ordered as I have not yet been advised of backorder.

Hey all, I ran across this thread and decided to go ahead and buy 1 or 3 sexies for my 10g. but i just read on another guy's thread that his sexy shrimp irritated his feather duster to death and i just recently purchased a duster myself. Do all sexy shrimp do this, I would really like to pick some up but not if it means potential death to things in my tank.

yankeereefer

I just got back after picking up my Live Aquaria order from my buddy's place. He was kinda enough to receive the shipment for our group buy.

I ordered 4 new sexies (to bring my total to 7). Unfortunately 1 of them didn't survive the shipping. :(

It appears that of the surviving 3, I have 1, possibly 2 more females and another male. One of them even molted during shipment. They're smaller than the existing ones so I hope they'll be okay in the same tank. Acclimating now.

Another cool thing happened today - I came home from work before going to p/u my order. During the typical few minutes I spend gazing into my tanks whenever I walk by, I noticed one of my sexies in the front of the tank mid-molt. I grabbed the camera and just that fast it was over. Got a couple of pics though, I'll post later.

YR

el fabuloso

A Simple Guide To Feeding Sexy Shrimps

Lately I've been coming across accounts from people of sexy shrimps eating their corals. It's a tragic case but I think it's also one that can easily be avoided. Sexy shrimps are opportunistic scavengers so you can probably get away with not feeding them in a fully stock tank with fish and/or corals that are fed on a regular basis. But in a small tank all to themselves and with corals that don't need to be fed regularly, spot feeding them is important in order to keep them happy and to prevent them from eating your corals. I thought I'd share my technique with people who are cautious about getting these little guys or current owners who may be having some trouble getting their shrimps to eat. I've even included photos to make this more fun. :)

Feeding them is surprisingly easy and requires very little time. I feed mine with shrimp pellets every other day.

ShrimpPellets(lores).jpg

I happen to use Omega One Shrimp Pellets (quite disturbing if you really think about it) and they absolutely love it. But really, any pellets will do.

You will need forceps to spot feed the shrimp. You can get Aquatic Forceps from Foster & Smith which also come in handy for aquascaping and for moving and poking at things in your tank.

p_18762_26658P.jpg

Lalani also suggested mechanics forceps so I suppose those will work as well if you can find them.

Step 1:
Find a good size pellet that's just the right portion for your shrimp. A pellet that's too big leaves a big mess and one that's too small may end up floating off and getting lost from their grip.

CIMG5536.jpg

Step 2:
Dip the pellet in the water and allow it to soak up a bit. It also helps to shake it off a little to get rid of air bubbles. This keeps the pellet from floating away.

CIMG5538.jpg

Step 3:
Spot feed. Sexy shrimps have a good sense of smell (or taste?) and will come running the moment they sense food. Notice the other shrimp running towards the front.

CIMG5540.jpg

These guys are greedy eaters and don't like to share. This one has decided to snatch the pellet all to himself...

CIMG5541.jpg

...so it's a good idea to make sure they each get their own.

CIMG5543.jpg

As you can see, a well-fed sexy is a happy sexy. And one that's too busy munching on their own pellet instead of your corals. :happy:

CIMG5545.jpg

awesome! I was wondering this exactly earlier the other day... my question is, has anyone had any success feeding with cyclopeeze pellets?

Fantastic post, Aaron!! Mind if I add it to the first post? :)

Oh, and don't forget people, that the first post on this thread contains some basic information on keeping sexies!

Edited by Lalani
Fantastic post, Aaron!! Mind if I add it to the first post? :)

Oh, and don't forget people, that the first post on this thread contains some basic information on keeping sexies!

I have a shrimp that looks just like the shrimp in this thread, but it's clear instead of red. I thought it was a sexy shrimp, but I don't see any others on here that look like it. Do I just have a different color sexy shrimp, or is it not a sexy shrimp at all?