ReefCleaners.org

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

yankeereefer

fab- I considered that the feeding might be kinda heavy, truth be told it's really not that often, but there is probably residual food in the tank - I'm going to back off and increase w/c's.

I'm also considering putting my AC70 on it - This way I can put some chaeto in it - The AC20's just barely big enough told hold the other media (purigen/carbon) - I will have to mod the intake though as it's too long and will go down into the sand.

el fabuloso

Shortening the intake tube is pretty much the biggest mod you'll ever have to do. Some people also use an AC20 impeller in place of the AC70's to decrease the flow. Or they shave off the AC70 impeller. You could also leave it running full blast, as long as you have enough rocks to baffle the flow otherwise it will blow sand all over the place if it's hitting it directly.

yankeereefer

thanks fab, So did you 1) change the impeller, 2) shave the stock impeller or 3) leave the stock impeller alone?

I did the rock deflector thing with an AC500 when it was on a 10g, so I know what you mean.

I don't to change the impeller cause I want to increase the flow from what I have (AC20+RedSea)

Edited by yankeereefer

If you are indeed overfeeding, you will notice an increase in your tank nitrates (or worse).

If your diatom is growing in areas with little flow, then I would guess flow.

If it is growing only in areas with full bulb light, I would guess bulb.

I actually had a beam of sunlight growing algae in my tank. This light only hit my tank between 7 and 8 AM but it caused a diatom-like algae growth in that area.

I covered the window, cleaned the area, and it never returned.

However, my guess for diatom in a pico would be FLOW.

Keanu Reefs

figured i'd post some proof of my membership

I believe this is my 2 males and 1 female giving my GSP a hard time

IMG_0758Large.jpg

good closeup of 1

IMG_0765Large.jpg

and the official non-sexy shrimp but zexy pistol-Berreta

IMG_0799Large.jpg

I have 4 total, would have been 5 but 1 died in shipping, they've been in the tank for weeks now and pretty much own the place.

Edited by Keanu Reefs

Well, I finally got my sexy shrimp tonight! The lfs only had two but he is going to order some more in. I am going to get three more. I did manage to get 1 female and 1 male though. My pictures arent very good and I wanted to get the lights out so they could kind of settle in but here are a couple shots I took before turning out the lights

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

The female seems to be hosting a feather duster. This thread has really grown since I started my tank. I started my tank about the time this thread started. Looks like I have some reading to do....

el fabuloso
thanks fab, So did you 1) change the impeller, 2) shave the stock impeller or 3) leave the stock impeller alone?

I left the stock impeller as is. You can also turn the intake tube to the right to decrease the flow in case it ends up being too much running full blast.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine eat flake, but others eat pellets, mysis, and other bits of meaty foods.

Btw, the general info on sexies is on the first post. ;)

Edited by Lalani

Hello everyone,

I've been following this thread for a while, and I've decided that I will be getting 3 sexy shrimp to put in my brand new 3.5g tank. I was wondering if, I could eventually put in some pederson's anemone shrimp as well. Thanks

Hello everyone,

I've been following this thread for a while, and I've decided that I will be getting 3 sexy shrimp to put in my brand new 3.5g tank. I was wondering if, I could eventually put in some pederson's anemone shrimp as well. Thanks

As far as I know, pederson's are peaceful as well. Just think about the available real estate and make sure they don't seem too cramped together. :)

el fabuloso

I saw my female today ripe with eggs! I see lots of tiny round particles in her underbelly. So should I expect to see baby sexies or will they eat their own young?

Unless you harvest the babies when they hatch, place them in a separate tank, and feed them bbs, they most likely won't survive. Mine has released eggs many times, without any fish present to eat the babies, and they all disappear before the sun comes up.

Congrats on the pregger shrimp though. ;)

el fabuloso

I've been trying to snap a photo of her but I can't seem to get close enough to catch a good one. She's always digging under her belly, shifting the eggs around. The eggs remind me of tobiko. :P

tobiko.jpg

They are not territorial and it is actually suggested that you keep them in groups... it makes them feels safer to be kept in greater numbers. :)

I currently have a 12g tank with a peppermint shrimp and pom-pom crab....been in the works for about 5-6 months.

-Will it be okay for me to purchase 1or 2 sexy shrimps?

-Will it get along with the other inhabits in my tank and clownfish I am hoping to purchase at the same time?

Thank You

Sexies do better in groups of 4+ but they will get along fine with your other inhabitants.

+1 :)

The sexies love my new Monti. cap.

Very cool, glad the monti is doing well in your pico!

hey everyone! I am pleased to announce that I am the proud caretaker of a sexy!

I know they do better in groups of 4+ preferring odd numbers but my guy was kicked out of his group of 3.

My LFS owner said, and I saw, the other 2 shrimp avoiding this guy and bullying him so I figured I would just get him. He appears to be doing very well in my tank doing his sexy dance all by himself!