inTank Media Baskets

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Here is a pict of one of my 3 sexy's! Anyone have a pict of a sexy with eggs??? Would love to see it! These sexy's are in my BC 14 everything stock. It has been up for about 9 months....

Cute! As yankee stated, there are pics of eggs carrying females earlier in the thread. I'll try to add that section to the original post soon. :)

One of my sexies is knocked up!! :D That means I offically have 1 female and 1 male. :)

Hehe, congrats! :D

YEA BABY, I'M SEXY NOW!!! Well I ordered six of these little guys from liveaquaria they ended up costing about $10 a pop delivered. Two didn't make it on the way over so I ended up with a total of 4. These guys are really small, I'd say less than a quarter inch for sure. Three are in my tank at home and one in my tank at the office. I've been looking all over for that little bugger today and couldn't find him. Then finally I'm looking in my xenia and there he is sitting in there like it's a little tree for him. So here is my pic from my 3g picotope at the office. I'll get one posted of the three at home soon.

Steve

Awesome, congrats and welcome to the Sexy Club! :happydance:

What's the stocking ratio for sexies? I have a 5g tank and currently have 3 sexies.

There isn't a stocking ratio, really. In a 5gal. tank, I'd say you could get away with 7 - 10 of them. :)

Deleted User 6

So I put my 3 sexies in my tank today and I went back about 2 hours later to look for them and one of my very small nassarius snails was EATING one!!! Now I only have two sexies. The snails have been moved to the bigger tank. It was all I could do to not throw them to the birds.

big_fat_mushroom

i am soooo jealous.... i want some so bad!!! i havent seen any sexies in SF LFS for like more than half a year! where do you guys find them???!

So I put my 3 sexies in my tank today and I went back about 2 hours later to look for them and one of my very small nassarius snails was EATING one!!! Now I only have two sexies. The snails have been moved to the bigger tank. It was all I could do to not throw them to the birds.

Wow, that really sucks! Is it possible that the sexy shrimp died, and you just happened to find the snail eating its corpse? :(

i am soooo jealous.... i want some so bad!!! i havent seen any sexies in SF LFS for like more than half a year! where do you guys find them???!

Some people have ordered them online, but I asked one of my LFSs to order mine for me. :)

Jason McK

I have 3 of these in my 14G biocube and for the most part they're great but.... does anyone else find that they pester the heck out of zoos? I just put 3 new zoo frags in and at first everything was fine but now the sexies are always on the zoos and they won't open anymore

Deleted User 6

Possible, but really not likely. I think the snails may have just been starving (they were the only thing in the tank - there was an algae problem and I didn't feed anything to the tank for a couple weeks. I guess they ate all the algae and moved on to sexies). The shrimp was really in the tank about an hour. That would be a quick death, and the other two are perfectly fine. I don't know. The LFS just got 6 in today - I might go replace this one tomorrow. I got these three from Christina at Piece of the Reef on Ebay.

I have 3 of these in my 14G biocube and for the most part they're great but.... does anyone else find that they pester the heck out of zoos? I just put 3 new zoo frags in and at first everything was fine but now the sexies are always on the zoos and they won't open anymore

Yup! This is a common problem with them, but there is usually an easy fix: feed them. Sexies will eat the skirts off of zoas if they are hungry. Have you tried feeding them pellets of flake food? Mine love flake!

Possible, but really not likely. I think the snails may have just been starving (they were the only thing in the tank - there was an algae problem and I didn't feed anything to the tank for a couple weeks. I guess they ate all the algae and moved on to sexies). The shrimp was really in the tank about an hour. That would be a quick death, and the other two are perfectly fine. I don't know. The LFS just got 6 in today - I might go replace this one tomorrow. I got these three from Christina at Piece of the Reef on Ebay.

Ah, that's still a strange thing to happen. I feed my nass snails raw shrimp every couple of weeks and they never bother anybody. Hope you get a new sexy, because these guys are too neat!

I have 5 sexies and 2 nass. snails. I have never had a problem. In fact when it comes to feeding time and the snails get to the food before the sexies do the they( the shrimp) will just wrestle it way from the snail. And if a snail gets close to one of the sexies they (the shrimp again) just jump out of the way.

My thought is that the sexy was not doing well or had died. I think it could have easily gotten away from the snail if it was healthy.

I hope your other ones do okay. It is such a bummer to lose one so quickly!

Jason McK
Yup! This is a common problem with them, but there is usually an easy fix: feed them. Sexies will eat the skirts off of zoas if they are hungry. Have you tried feeding them pellets of flake food? Mine love flake!

I do feed them pellet and they also go for the Arctic Pods I feed my Firefish. They all come eagerly to a syringe so I'll try and target feed them

Ah, ok. If they are getting fed regularly, it may just be a matter of the zoas getting used to being stood on by the sexies. I have one group of zoas that the sexies love to stand on all the time and even sleep in it at night. The zoas still close up when the sexies first stand on them, but they open right back up again. :)

Deleted User 6

So with my 5g, I would like to have 8 or so sexies eventually, with some SPS and a clam. What other kinds of CUC members should I think about adding? I left one small nassarius snail in the tank - I figured that they didn't actually murder my shrimp since I found another one dead today. I don't know what the deal with them is - I have good parameters and acclimated by the book. They might have just had a rough delivery.

Also, what's the avg price you usually pay for sexies? My LFS wants $21 each - which makes me mad. But maybe I shouldn't be.

Edited by DHaut

SPS and a clam in a 5gal tank? It can be done, but you're going to have a tough time keeping the water params stable and the tank clean. You may want to rethink your stocking plans, but to each his own.

Stomatella snails and astreas are good CUC members.

Sorry about losing another sexy! :(

I paid $20 for each of my sexies, but that's high too. $10 seems much more reasonable.

Deleted User 6

The SPS and Clams would be a good 6-8 months from now. At any rate, I'm seriously thinking of just buying a 10g and moving things to it - the 5g Eclipse Hex scratches if you blow on it. Everything in the tank looks cloudy just from the scratches.

Piece-of-the-Reef on ebay has sexies for $9, with $20 shipping (but you can get as many shrimp as she has to sell and not have any other shipping cost). Other than that, it's $21 each for me <_<

I paid $14.99 each for mine at my LFS. They pretty much always have them so they must have a good easy source for them. It seems like some places have a harder time getting them so I am assuming they are the ones that charge more for them.

Keanu Reefs

I have 4 sexies and 4 Nass's and they never bother each other. I will say I have 1 sexy that is the thrill seeker of the group, I catch him all the time riding on the back of my margarita snail lol.

About them eating corals, I can provide pics of a well chewed pocillopora frag until I was able to target feed them some mysis. I'm hoping the coral will bounce back, little sons a b*#ches.

I love my sexies but what a PITA they can be, their new thing is line dancing on my d@mn green star polyps.

Keanu Reefs
But they're cuuuuuuuute! :P

I agree, but they need some serious descipline, problem is finding a paddle small enough for their tiny butts

IndicaCorialis

It molted during the middle of the day while I watched two days ago. Pretty cool! I want two more but my LFS doesn't have any. They seem to go pretty quick in SLC. It must be those damn polygamysts!

It molted during the middle of the day while I watched two days ago. Pretty cool! I want two more but my LFS doesn't have any. They seem to go pretty quick in SLC. It must be those damn polygamysts!

Wish I could catch mine during molting, that would be neat to watch. You can ask your LFS to order some for you, and they would most likely hold them for you. :)

so i gots a question

what kind of fish would more then likely eat sexy shrimp?

its it kinda like... everything?

The only fish that will bother sexies are the type that eat inverts... and any rogue badass fish. :P