Pod Your Reef

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

lalani, have you seen sanddeep's tank ?

mabey you could try somthing like that with your 10G

i can post a link if you want

Thanks John, yeah Sanddeeps tanks are some of the main ones that I will be using as a starting point. I am going to try my best to use glass for the false wall, though. I have one scrap piece and I need to trim it on 2 edges to make it fit. Then I have the task of trying to cut a small hole for the maxi-jet output to fit snuggly into. Since I won't be able to cut the teeth for surface skimming, I may just cut the whole piece shorter and add some eggcrate to the top of it so the water will just fall over the back. Since there will be sexies in the tank, I may even go so far as to put some plastic screen or mesh on the front of the eggcrate so the shrimp don't take a ride back to the fuge area. :)

Edited by Lalani

So far the XSi is fantastic. I have barely even started plumbing the depths of the photo options. Lots of easy to use settings, and a lot of space for someone getting serious. I have only had it for 2 days or so, and so far it is great.

Edited by Necros
Welcome to the Sexy Club! :happydance:

thank ya. im planning on getting a couple more soon. today i was mostly going for the pom pom crab but splurged on a sexy.

Sexy in a 28g? I want to get 3 to 7 sexys for my 28g. They will share the tank with a fire shrimp a peppermint shrimp 2 pom pom crabs 2 perc clowns 1 firefish 1 jawfish and lots of coral. Is this ok other than them being hard to locate?

Sexy in a 28g? I want to get 3 to 7 sexys for my 28g. They will share the tank with a fire shrimp a peppermint shrimp 2 pom pom crabs 2 perc clowns 1 firefish 1 jawfish and lots of coral. Is this ok other than them being hard to locate?

Sounds fine! As long as their are no invert-eaters, sexies should do fine with all other inhabitants. :)

yankeereefer

So I'm checking out my shrimp as I'm feeding them tonight and see that the closest one to me is looking a little fatter than normal. I grabbed the magnifying glass, lo and behold she's carrying eggs. I looked around for the other 2 and it appears that the other female is also with eggs. Seems like my little boy has been busy after light's out. I need to verify the 2nd one still, but she too appears to be fatter. Both are also exhibiting characteristics of egg carrying females.

Here's one pic I was able to snap off before my batteries went dead - I hadn't plugged in the batteries since returning from TN/MS this past weekend.

DSC05548-1.jpg

Although I intend to ultimately try and raise some, these "batches" might go to waste. I am still doing some reading on raising them and I'm not sure if I an get a larval tank, food cultures, etc. up in time.

yankeereefer

I'd like to make a request of the other club members - Can you please post any links that you may have come across related to breeding and raising these guys?

I already know of at least MOFIB, Project Dibs, and the LisaP thread over on RC.

There's also a thread on RC related to breeding peps and fire shrimp - Will have to look for and link the posts.

What a great picture! I that is so cool! I am pretty sure that 2 of my 3 females have carried eggs form the way they were acting but I was never able to see them. Thanks for sharing!

I marked down in a journal that my female sexy shrimp was with eggs on the 14th, and last night she released the babies.... which means it only takes 5 days for the eggs to hatch. :o

yankeereefer

were you able to collect any? I'm working on a larval tank today. Just a simple 10g with airstone, hydor heater and strip light. Hoping for hatch mid next week.

I did not try to collect any. I'm going to wait until I've completed the pico upgrade and then I will use the 2.5gal pico as a small scale larval tank, just to see how feasible the project will be.

Are you going to put the female into the larval tank and remove her afterwards, or are you going to catch and transfer the larvae?

yankeereefer

I'm going to try and catch them. From what I understand with shrimp, hatches are typically about the same time as a molt. I don't want to risk stressing her/them.

With peppermints, it's said that stress may cause the mother shrimp to abort the clutch, mortality for both mother and babies is very high.

In a day or so, I'm going to cut off the overflow and return pump and replace them with a small HOB filter and a night light away from the intake - There are no predators in the tank except for the parents so hopefully some of the fry will be a little more protected until I can pull them from the tank.

Edited by yankeereefer

Good strategy! How are you going to collect the larvae? I was planning on using a flashlight to attract them to the side of the tank and scoop or suck them out gently, like described in the LisaP thread.

yankeereefer

I'm thinking the one female may be getting ready to hatch out her clutch-

Any "signs" per se that those of you have seen hatches can recall? She's cleaning the and aerating the eggs more frequently today / tonight. She also seems to be spending a little more time away from the other 2 shrimp.

Larval tank is basically done and waiting. Mixing and heating water in a 5g bucket now. Debating starting a batch of bbs since they take time to hatch out.

When my female is ready to release the larvae, she will stay away from the other shrimp. She also won't accept any food. Other than that, you just need to keep an eye out. Mine usually releases between 11pm and 12am.

Edited by Lalani
yankeereefer

congrats Aaron - How many? What tank are they going in? The AP or pico?

Hey Lalani - How big are the fry at hatching? I working on some thoughts for isolating them in the display after hatch until they can be collected.

Ryan

Edited by yankeereefer
Finally got my SEXIES!

Congrats! Welcome to the Sexy Club! :happydance:

Hey Lalani - How big are the fry at hatching? I working on some thoughts for isolating them in the display after hatch until they can be collected.

The newly hatched larvae are tiny, maybe 2mm long. I think it would be great if you could isolate them, but I think it will be difficult. What do you plan on using?

yankeereefer

Isolation would only be temporary (until I woke in the morning) as the idea of watching and waiting till the wee hours does not sound so fun.

I'm considering using a small plastic frame with wedding veil or something similar. Holes small enough for for fry to pass through, yet still let water flow. This frame will sit in the corner of the tank with a small LED above it to keep the young'ns attracted. Siphon off in the a.m.

MOFIB also shows a snagger using an overflow going into a specimen box - The fry are separated from the return pump by a screen. I could setup a screen in the rear "sump" and create a screened partition with finer mesh or foam pad - I'm just not sure about larva mortality going through the Utube

Edited by yankeereefer