SaltCritters.com

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Alright people, I seem to have caught a half-assed shot of my female sexy shrimp with eggs. You can kind of see how the sections of her tail separate to expand and fit in all of the eggs. I'll try to get a better shot tomorrow. :)

What a great shot! That actually really helps me know what to look for with mine. I haven't seen any signs of eggs other then how she was acting yesterday. But now I know what they look like!

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/york/pipette.html

I didn't know what it was either until they showed up free with my refractometer... they have many uses... especially for my two year old! lol

So just a little turkey baster then. I can see how that would be very useful in our tanks. I will have to pick one up! Thanks for sharing!

Edited by jennifro

I said I was going to try to get a better shot today... but I can't... She released her babies last night and I got to watch!! It was so neat! She stood on top of some zoas and spread the sections of the tail. Then it looked like she shook and flapped her little legs and whoosh! Out came the babies... probably a couple hundred of them! Most of them looked lifeless but I did see a few squirming around. After she released them, she spent a good long while cleaning her tail. And when I woke up this morning, all the babies were gone, as usual. When I told mom about it, she told me I need to start another tank so I can raise the babies and sell them. :o:lol:

That is so cool that you were able to watch! It would be so much fun to be able to raise the babies. It sounds like they need lots of attention though. I think I will have to wait until my son is older before I can attempt it. It would be really cool if you did it though! Since you are already our expert on sexies you could advise us all on babies too! Hee hee.... I guess I want you to do the work first then tell me the easy way...or if not easy then just all the tricks that make it really work! I barley have time for my regular tank maintenance so I can't even imagine adding a sexy baby tank! It would be so much fun watching some one else go though the process though.

yankeereefer

pickup the "How to Raise and Train Peppermint Shrimp" book - It has a lot of relative information. There's also a thread on RC that captures someone's attempt at raising the babies

Good stuff! I will be hopefully buying a few more shrimp in the coming weeks to increase my odds of getting a few mating pair.

pickup the "How to Raise and Train Peppermint Shrimp" book - It has a lot of relative information. There's also a thread on RC that captures someone's attempt at raising the babies

Good stuff! I will be hopefully buying a few more shrimp in the coming weeks to increase my odds of getting a few mating pair.

Thanks, I may look into getting that book. And I have that RC link bookmarked already!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...mp;pagenumber=1

el fabuloso
She released her babies last night and I got to watch!! It was so neat! She stood on top of some zoas and spread the sections of the tail. Then it looked like she shook and flapped her little legs and whoosh! Out came the babies... probably a couple hundred of them! Most of them looked lifeless but I did see a few squirming around. After she released them, she spent a good long while cleaning her tail. And when I woke up this morning, all the babies were gone, as usual.

You were watching? Geez! Give the shrimp some privacy! :P

Seriously though, that sounds really neat! So, umm... where exactly did the babies go? :unsure:

You were watching? Geez! Give the shrimp some privacy! :P

Seriously though, that sounds really neat! So, umm... where exactly did the babies go? :unsure:

She was doing it right out in the open, so she was in public and I had every right to watch! :happy:

I don't know where the babies went. I heard the pistol shrimp snapping up a storm, so I'm assuming they were pigging out and I can only guess the rock crab and the bazillion bristle worms were eating too. Its a hard life y'know. Not to mention getting chopped up by the filter impeller.... Poor things. When I switch tanks, I may keep this one running with just an airstone and maybe some macro algaes. I just need to do more reeeeeeesearch.

Edited by Lalani

Does anyone know if I could put a emerald crab in my 3g? I have two sexies and dont want the crab to mess with them. I have a lot of bubble algae thats the reason for wanting an emerald.

Does anyone know if I could put a emerald crab in my 3g? I have two sexies and dont want the crab to mess with them. I have a lot of bubble algae thats the reason for wanting an emerald.

There are a couple of problems with emerald crabs. As they grow larger, they tend to become predatory upon other critters in the tank. I'm not completely sure if they would or would not harm the sexies, but there would always be a chance. Also, I think they get a little too big to live comfortably in a 3gal. tank. I think a better choice would be to take the rocks out of the tank and carefully remove the bubble algae yourself.

Reef Chicks

I snapped a few quick pics the other day of my sexies. Two were off doing their own thing and these guys hung out together. It was atnight, when the tank lights had gone off, and I swear it looked like a scene from E.T. where he is waiting for the spaceship to come get him. These guys were just on top of the kenya tree, waving their tails, looking up at the light.

The pictures as horrible, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get better ones!

P4060353.jpg

P4060348.jpg

P4060344.jpg

Liveaquaria says 30G. Is it really OK to put them in a smaller tank like 2.5G?

If you're talking about an emerald crab, I'd say it is not advisable to put one in a pico. They could cause problems, even in a larger tank.

I snapped a few quick pics the other day of my sexies. Two were off doing their own thing and these guys hung out together. It was atnight, when the tank lights had gone off, and I swear it looked like a scene from E.T. where he is waiting for the spaceship to come get him. These guys were just on top of the kenya tree, waving their tails, looking up at the light.

ET... lol! Good job catching those photos. :)

Hey if anyone successfully raises sexy baby shrimpies, I'd be interested in adopting :)

Hey SL, how many alias' have you had to use lately? :D

And I'm hoping I can raise some little babies. I'll put you down on my list. :)

Lol! Thanks, Jenni, but I'm still learning about these little shrimp, just like everybody else. :D

Kamao, sexies really prefer smaller, dedicated tanks. They do ok in larger tanks, but they feel more secure in something smaller, with fewer tank mates. :)

el fabuloso

I caught one of my female sexies snooping around the mushroom pile this morning and she agreed to do a photo shoot so she must've been in a good mood. I captured some pretty nice close-ups and she gave me really good poses so I thought I'd share them on here. :happy:

CIMG4647.jpg

CIMG4650.jpg

CIMG4651.jpg

CIMG4654.jpg

CIMG4657.jpg

CIMG4668.jpg

el fabuloso

She really did pose for me! When she saw me with the camera she instantly crawled out of the mushroom and started posing. She strutted across the tank, stopping often to strike a pose. She's quite the little diva! :happy:

I'm glad you like my 'hawk. Thanks for the compliment! B)

Gah, wish mine weren't so shy. Hopefully I can raise some of the babies and keep a few for my tank. Maybe once their numbers grow, they will gain more confidence.

I went shopping today, and the parents wanted to come along, so I let them..... Of course, they had a list of groceries and whatnot to buy also...... But I hunted all over the place, and NO ONE has 2.5 or 5.5 gallon aquariums! I found 5.5gal. watertight reptile tanks at PetsMart, but they were like $35. So, at the last store, my dad came up with a brilliant (but not original) idea of getting a 10gal. tank and putting a divider half-way through. It will be a little more work than I was planning on, but I think it will work out great. Needless to say, I picked up one of the 10gal. tanks. I've just got to find the threads in which people have done this before and steal a few ideas. All in all, the Sexy Tank will be upgraded more than expected. :lol:

It is the Canon Eos Rebel Xsi 40D. I got the last one from our local Best Buy, and they have no idea when it will be back in. You can see it reviewed in a number of places, even though Amazon says they aren't really out for a while.

It is the Canon Eos Rebel Xsi 40D. I got the last one from our local Best Buy, and they have no idea when it will be back in. You can see it reviewed in a number of places, even though Amazon says they aren't really out for a while.

Oooh, how is the XSi?

I have the XT. :)