inTank Media Baskets

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

omg lmao..

i would love to have some sexy's but i have a 55....i am thinking about putting together this empty 30 gal with the plumbing inside the tank so it would be like 20 gallons DT or soo....mainly zoos, palys, mushrooms, ric's....i think 5-6 sexy's in it would sit real well on my bar.

^ what a slut!

But she's a baby-makin' slut. :P

omg lmao..

i would love to have some sexy's but i have a 55....i am thinking about putting together this empty 30 gal with the plumbing inside the tank so it would be like 20 gallons DT or soo....mainly zoos, palys, mushrooms, ric's....i think 5-6 sexy's in it would sit real well on my bar.

Sounds like a plan! When are we going to see it? ;)

Deleted User 6

Finally broke down and bought the two remaining sexies from my LFS - they are currently adjusting. They're going into my 14g biocube with the other sexy - he's been fine for about 2 weeks in there now so I assume nothing will try to eat them (I can't think of anything that would, anyways). I hope they fare well like my other one has :)

Sexy Shrimp

How do you know which is the girl?

If the little one is the boy then i have 4 females and one very tired male!!!

Finally broke down and bought the two remaining sexies from my LFS - they are currently adjusting. They're going into my 14g biocube with the other sexy - he's been fine for about 2 weeks in there now so I assume nothing will try to eat them (I can't think of anything that would, anyways). I hope they fare well like my other one has :)

Hope they do well for you! :)

How do you know which is the girl?

If the little one is the boy then i have 4 females and one very tired male!!!

Yup, if you look at the pic above, you can see the difference in the width of their bodies... and overall body size. :)

Edited by Lalani

My male is missing! When I put all three in the tank I noticed that the females hung out together and the male did his own thing. Now I can't find him. I have a lot of places in the tank where he could hide. At this point I'm not holding my breath. Will the two females do OK by themselves? They seem fine so far.

I want some but im upgrading to a 55

You could have some, given that there are no invert eaters in the tank, but they would be hard to find.

My male is missing! When I put all three in the tank I noticed that the females hung out together and the male did his own thing. Now I can't find him. I have a lot of places in the tank where he could hide. At this point I'm not holding my breath. Will the two females do OK by themselves? They seem fine so far.

Two females would probably be ok by themselves. You may notice them become more reclusive though. Just keep an eye out for the third, because they are pretty good hiders.

Last night before bed I went in to check to see what my new corals looked like after lights out (3 shrooms, green mouthed candy cane coral and a frogspawn). I noticed all this gunk floating in my water. It freaked me out so I turned on the lights. It took me a few seconds to realize one of my females had released her babies. It was the first time I have seen them. I know they have done it several times before I have just never seen the babies before they got eaten/suck into the filter. It was cool to see! There were so many and they were sure swimming! I felt kind of bad :( It was only about 9:15 PM so I was really surprised to see them. I thought they usually released them in the middle of the night. And all my sexies were right in the front of the tank. So I guess the female was doing just fine. Fun to see. One day when my kids are older I would really like to try to raise them!

That's great, Jen! It's interesting to watch it, but I understand the pain of letting the little guys go. In the pico, they would all be gone by morning. In the new tank, something about the flow in the tank allows the larvae to stay in the display and not fall into the back and get chopped with the impeller. The next day I still saw a few squirming around, so this set up will actually make it a lot easier to collect them when I'm ready. :)

Since I only have one female right now, I can't do this, but I'm interested in seeing if your females will begin releasing their babies at the same time, or if they continue to do so separately.

yankeereefer
I noticed yesterday that one of my females is carrying eggs again. This is about 2 weeks from the last release.

We're knocked up again - Appears to be a 2 week cycle.

YR

Yesterday I got my first sexy shrimp. I wasn't sure if my pistol shrimp would eat them. I asked the guy at the fish store and he said that he might. I only got one just incase, but he is doing fine. So this week I'm going to get somemore. They are prolly one of the coolest things to watch.

We're knocked up again - Appears to be a 2 week cycle.

YR

I have got to start logging the cycle mine goes through. She's full of eggs now and it won't be long before she releases them... I don't think I'll be ready for this batch yet. :( I still need to buy the brine shrimp eggs, then I'll be ready to go.

Yesterday I got my first sexy shrimp. I wasn't sure if my pistol shrimp would eat them. I asked the guy at the fish store and he said that he might. I only got one just incase, but he is doing fine. So this week I'm going to get somemore. They are prolly one of the coolest things to watch.

Welcome to the Sexy Club! :happydance:

I don't think you'll have to worry about the pistol. My two sexies have been living with two Caribbean pistols for several months, and now they are in a tank with at least 4 of them... no problems to speak of. :)

Since I only have one female right now, I can't do this, but I'm interested in seeing if your females will begin releasing their babies at the same time, or if they continue to do so separately.

I will try to pay attention and let you know. I know they have had crossover in having eggs at the same time. I am not sure about releasing though. Between the 3 it seems like at least one always has eggs. I think the two bigger ones usually have eggs at the same time or pretty close to it. And I haven't really paid attention but I think mine probably have about a two week cycle too. I will let you know!

• 2 weeks later...
el fabuloso

I'm back! Good to see some new sexy members on here! :P

I was planning on getting more sexies after the tragic death of one of my trio but the LFS wanted $17 a pop this time when they only charged me $10 last time! Then the girl who was working there gave me attitude and a spiel about how bad the economy is right now after I called her out on it. So I probably won't be getting any more and just stick with my pair. It looks to me like a male and a female and are doing great despite not having a third wheel. They're not making babies though. :(

Ugh, I'd hate to see the prices at my LFSs right now... :(

How long have you had your sexies? They should be well into their breeding age.. hmm...

We have been keeping sexy shrimp for close to a year and really love them.

Has anyone noticed that the shrimp become pregnant immediately after a molt of the female?

Also, I find it entertaining every time someone says that sexy shrimp will be ok in a tank as long as it does not have "invert eaters". Most fish ARE indeed invert eaters (think Mysis shrimp, BBS, cyclops, etc.)

Even the sexy shrimp are invert eaters as they need baby brine shrimp as their first food.

yankeereefer

ok guys and gals, me and my sexies are looking for help.

For the life of me I can't get rid of the diatoms on my sand :angry: Y'all's are so nice and clean.

Specs:

2.8g

18w PC

AC20 HOB (with purigen and carbon) + RedSea Pico HOB (both for flow)

~2-2.5 lbs rock

50w hydor heater

w/c's = 1g 1x week

CUC = 1 emerald, 1 nass and 1 blhc - Snails will not stay alive for some reason.

Shrimps are fed a pellet 1-2x day - Tank params are within norms.

What is going on? It's not my water. The same ro/di is used on 3 other tanks, water for all is mixed at the same time. Flow? More CUC? My lights might need to be replaced. I have the stuff to make a 2x18w fixture, was gonna start tonight after I do a w/c. I dunno. El Fab, are you really running an AC70 on the back of your 2.5g? Doesn't it blow everything away? I have one laying around I thought I might try, but I'm a little concerned.

Open to suggestions

Edited by yankeereefer
We have been keeping sexy shrimp for close to a year and really love them.

Has anyone noticed that the shrimp become pregnant immediately after a molt of the female?

Also, I find it entertaining every time someone says that sexy shrimp will be ok in a tank as long as it does not have "invert eaters". Most fish ARE indeed invert eaters (think Mysis shrimp, BBS, cyclops, etc.)

Even the sexy shrimp are invert eaters as they need baby brine shrimp as their first food.

:welcome: to NR!

I've noticed my female sexy tends to molt right around the times that she lays her eggs and when she releases them.

I guess we should say not to keep them with 'ornamental shrimp eaters.' :P

yankee, have you tried to raise any babies yet???

Sorry you're having trouble with diatoms. Looks like you're doing everything right.... The only thing I would do is add an astrea snail. Mine do a terrific job of keeping things clean. :)

el fabuloso
What is going on? It's not my water. The same ro/di is used on 3 other tanks, water for all is mixed at the same time. Flow? More CUC? My lights might need to be replaced. I have the stuff to make a 2x18w fixture, was gonna start tonight after I do a w/c. I dunno. El Fab, are you really running an AC70 on the back of your 2.5g? Doesn't it blow everything away? I have one laying around I thought I might try, but I'm a little concerned.

Having lots of flow helps a lot. I've got an AC70 on my 3g running full blast and it doesn't blow everything away. But then I also have a rock to catch the flow so most of the turbulence is baffled by the GSP and they love it that way. Did you say you feed your shrimps twice a day? If that's the case that's a lot of feeding and that could be the source of your problem right there.

yankeereefer

Successful breeders have logged that these shrimp typically engage in reproductive activities just after females molt. I have seen eggs within a week or so of a molt and they have released around two weeks later.

No attempts to capture fry yet - I have to get the diatom thing settled first.