IMG_8996.jpg

Mobile home:

IMG_8998.jpg

IMG_9009.jpg

IMG_9008.jpg

There seems to be some strange type of threesome going on with these guys:

IMG_9007.jpg

starfish609

Great pics and love your tank. Looking forward to seeing it mature. Are you going to end up adding more rock or do you think you'll leave it be?

Disclaimer: I might be stalking your tank but not you and I mean that in the nicest way. ;)

Thanks you guys! :blush:

Great pics and love your tank. Looking forward to seeing it mature. Are you going to end up adding more rock or do you think you'll leave it be?

Disclaimer: I might be stalking your tank but not you and I mean that in the nicest way. ;)

I plan on adding another 5-8lbs. of LR or just base rock. A few of the corals will probably be moved around too. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks, I'll place an order from SeaLife, because I need more rock and sand for my pico upgrade too. :P

OMG! Ms. Macro rules!!

Lalani, those are spectacular. I love them all but, as amazing as the macros are, I think my fav is the last one with those 3 crazy fish (and aren't they posed nicely?). Bob is such an amazing little guy!

Of course the hitcher tube worm's fantastic. I believe the red dots are eye spots?

--Diane

Geez, Diane, there's no need to embarrass me with a nickname. :blush:

And thank you! Bob is still in dad/big brother mode to the little clownfish, who are growing very quickly. I think Bob is going to remain in charge of this tank, but we'll see how that goes when the clowns get bigger... they may rebel. :lol:

I started off with only a smaller group of those spotted tube worms, but there seems to be at least one on each rock now. I hope they keep spreading, because they are lovely. :)

I had to google 'Okinawa goby' and found out that its another name for YCGs. They have such personality, don't they? :)

Yes, some are found near Japan waters, that's why the name. :happy:

Totally agree with you! They are small but full of characters :)

Thanks Format and Smurf, how's the new Sunpod? :D

Goodness! the pics are so awesome!!! Maybe you should come over and take shots of my tank! Hahaha, the sunpod is doing great. there is a slight diator bloom after the bacteria. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Goodness! the pics are so awesome!!! Maybe you should come over and take shots of my tank! Hahaha, the sunpod is doing great. there is a slight diator bloom after the bacteria. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Sure I'll take pics of your tank.... if you pay for the plane ticket and other expenses. :P

I would love to go back to San Diego. I went a few years ago, and man, the weather there is beautiful... A little chilly, but nice. :)

Can't wait to see pics of the tank with its new light!

Geez, Diane, there's no need to embarrass me with a nickname. :blush:

And thank you! Bob is still in dad/big brother mode to the little clownfish, who are growing very quickly. I think Bob is going to remain in charge of this tank, but we'll see how that goes when the clowns get bigger... they may rebel. :lol:

I started off with only a smaller group of those spotted tube worms, but there seems to be at least one on each rock now. I hope they keep spreading, because they are lovely. :)

I really enjoy your attention to behavior & other details like these.

IME those hitcher dusters are very hardy. Good thing, because I can't count how often I've been cleaning off the rock saying to myself "do not break duster tube; do not break duster tube...," only to accidentally smash one on the 5th or 6th pass...:angry:

--Diane

WOW those macro shots are amazing! Good job with the tank.

Thanks!

IME those hitcher dusters are very hardy. Good thing, because I can't count how often I've been cleaning off the rock saying to myself "do not break duster tube; do not break duster tube...," only to accidentally smash one on the 5th or 6th pass...:angry:

I know what you mean! I always have to be so careful when pulling macro algae off the rocks with a pair of forceps. There always seems to be one tube worm that gets caught or nearly caught in those steel teeth, but they usually recover just fine... thankfully, because I enjoy watching them so much. :)

There was a slight problem with the tank yesterday....

I checked on the tank and the corals, snails, crabs, and Bob all looked fine, but the clowns were acting funny. One was sitting near the koralia and the other was almost laying on the sand in the back of the tank. They were both breathing quickly. I touched the glass and it was freakin' cold.... "Oh, sh!t", right? :o I checked the thermometer and sure enough, it said 75F! So I set about plugging and unplugging the heater, making sure it was working. Then I stuck another digital thermometer in the tank that read the same. I also used my darkroom thermometer, but after further testing, I found it was several degrees off... I must have dropped it some time that I did not remember.

Anyways, after much fiddling around with things, I finally got the temp to slowly rise back up to between 79 and 80. As soon as the temp got up to around 78, the clowns bounced back and starting acting normal again. Whew! Today they are as good as new, swimming together, and exhibiting pairing behaviors. I've always heard that occ. clownfish were some of the hardiest out there, but they seem to be the first to show signs of stress in any situation.

I'm still not sure what went wrong.. I'm guessing that the heater might not have kicked back on after I plugged it back in. This was after I did a water change earlier yesterday.

Alright, after all of that, you know I will give you guys some more pics. I realized I have never posted any actinic shots, so here are a few.... You all would tell me if I'm posting too many, right? :)

IMG_9086.jpg

IMG_9097.jpg

IMG_9087.jpg

IMG_9080.jpg

IMG_9078.jpg

IMG_9066.jpg

IMG_9093.jpg

IMG_9074.jpg

IMG_9089.jpg

Whew! Glad it was nothing more serious!

You mean there's such a thing as too many pics? Then I'm in deep trouble...:D

Lalani, those are just as beautiful as all of your pics! And it's really nice to see things under that light--I love the way it makes the tank seem to float in air and the colors on your zoas and gsp so brilliant. Sure wish I had a fixture with separate actinics.:(

They're all great but my favs are the one with the spawn & Bob (natch!--but I think he's trying to become a clown. . . :D) and the following vertical shot for the wonderful composition & interest with both clowns (and rics!).

Man, I sure hope you still have red zoa frags when (if! <_<) I ever get a new tank set up.

--Diane

Thanks Diane. Just making sure that no one is anti-photo. :P

Sometimes it really does seem like Bob is trying to become a clownfish! All three of them spend most of the day pretty close together. Their favorite spot seems to be right below the koralia nano, and Bob spends a lot of time perching in the corner upside down. The clowns will go and swim by him and wherever he goes, they go. :lol: The most interesting thing is when they are all three sitting in the frogspawn.

You're planning on starting a new tank??? Great! I guess the 5.5 is getting a little crowded? The red-skirted zoas grow like crazy... even faster than the GSP! So I am pretty sure I won't be short on them any time in the near future.

I'm glad you got to your tank in time and everything is okay now!

The gsp is just unreal under the actinics... :happy:

Thanks Duncan, the corals are really something else when under actinics only. The GSP tends to stand out the most, so I can't wait for it to encrust those two rocks that make an archway. I'll then flip the whole thing around so that the arch is in the front of the tank. :)

I love your photos, they are wonderful. Great composition, color, everything!

I'm glad everything turned out ok after that scare. I had a similar scare yesterday and got home to find the tank at 76deg. Apparently the power went out and my GFCI tripped and then when the power came back on, the GFCI was still tripped so everything remained off until I came home from work ugh...

Definitely have to rethink that now...

Thanks Colin. Its amazing what sort of things can go wrong with these tanks, isn't it? Even if you have everything automated, you still worry about something leaking or flipping, etc... But at the same time, the inhabitants can be tougher than expected.

On another note, I will be placing an order for rock and sand soon, for my pico upgrade. While I'm at it, I'll order some base rock for this tank. :)

Archived