ReefCleaners.org

Lalani's 20H

Lalani

Well, I finally went and upgraded! I had gotten up to 4 tanks to maintain, and that was getting to be too much. So I decided to combine the inhabitants of two of my tanks, the 10gal. and Biorb reefs (both threads are linked in my sig), into one 20gal. high tank. I'm so glad I made the switch!

It took me three hours to transfer everything from the two tanks, and unfortunately I lost my pair of occ. clownfish. :( They became really stressed out, and once into the new tank they died within 15minutes of each other. I feel guilty about it, but I was just trying to give them a better home.

Bob, the yellow clown goby, did just fine. He has the tank to himself right now and seems pretty content.

The aquascaping is temporary and I will most likely add a bunch of base rock to fill it in more, but not too much. Any suggestions on 'scaping?

Equipment:

20H tank 24x12x16

Finnex 24" 4x24w T5HO fixture (one large reflector, but I may modify it to hold individual reflectors)

AC110 fuge

1 Koralia nano

Coralife digital thermometer (about 2 degrees off....)

Hydor THEO 50w heater

Livestock:

~30lb. Live rock

~20lb. Live sand

2 occ. clownfish

5 red leg hermit crabs

3 mini blue leg hermits

1 porcelain crab

1 peppermint shrimp

Various snails

Frogspawn

Hammer

GSP

Zoas

Palys

Mushrooms

Pics:

IMG_8123.jpg

IMG_8139.jpg

IMG_8146.jpg

IMG_8149.jpg

IMG_8147.jpg

IMG_8126.jpg

IMG_8101.jpg

IMG_8136.jpg

IMG_8129.jpg

IMG_8131.jpg

IMG_8133.jpg

IMG_8128.jpg

IMG_8134.jpg

IMG_8127.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. :)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looks very nice, although I liked very much the biorb. Sorry to hear about the clowns. Keep up the good work. The only thing I would add more rock to give altitude, but it looks very neat the way it is.

Absolutely gorgeous, I love it.

I agree that the only thing I would change is to add more rock.

What is that orangey looking macroalgae on your Green Bay Packer zoa rock?

I really like it.

Also, what is the white looking thing with polka-dots directly under your Watermelon zoa polyps? Looks like it could be an interesting critter, whatever it is.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll probably add around 5-8lbs. of base rock. I'm trying to make an island on the right side of the tank, specifically for GSP. Behind the main piece of it, there is a rock that creates an arch that can be easily viewed from the couch.

Weeta, the orange macroalgae is actually dead. There was a huge clump of red.. I believe turf algae and I ripped most of it off. What was left and damaged turned orange and today the crabs and snails went over it and cleaned most of it out. The white and polka dot things are another macroalgae. I thought it was red valonia, but it has been changing colors and growing spots. The spots actually glow pink under actinics! So I'm not sure what it is exactly.

I'm sort of letting things grow where they are unless they start encroaching upon the corals. :)

Lalani.

Tank looks great. I think the slope look from left to right is really slick. I would do a bit more rock as well but of than that it is fantastic. Looking forward to seeing it in a few months.

-Prof

I wasn't so sure about painting the background blue, but I'm glad I did. The colors of the corals do pop and the tank seems brighter. Thanks everyone! :)

This tank is stunning! Thats some of the best photography Ive seen as well...wish I could figure out how to use the bazillion options on mine lol.

Great looking tank, Lalani. I can't believe the clowns didn't love it in there. You mentioned painting the background. Do you recall what color you used? (other than Duh. blue?) as I'd like to paint my large display but can't seem to find the right shade of blue.

Darn, I'm embarassed that you looked at the crappy photos on my thread when you do such a great job. Between you and Diane I just feel like I might as well use crayolas.

Great looking tank, Lalani. I can't believe the clowns didn't love it in there. You mentioned painting the background. Do you recall what color you used? (other than Duh. blue?) as I'd like to paint my large display but can't seem to find the right shade of blue.

Darn, I'm embarassed that you looked at the crappy photos on my thread when you do such a great job. Between you and Diane I just feel like I might as well use crayolas.

Don't be ridiculous, your photos are just as good! :P

I went to WallyWorld and bought a can of Krylon Fusion 'for plastic' spray paint. The only two colors they had on the shelf for that brand and type were black and blue, and only one shade of each. Sorry, but there is no label with the color name. The cap is a slightly darker blue than what you see in my pics. It cleans up real easy with Desolve-it. :D

Well, I decided to have a bit of fun, and found my old Nikon digicam that I used for macro shots. Also found my +10 diopter and went after some of the critters in the tank. :D

DSCN8736.jpg

DSCN8712.jpg

DSCN8717.jpg

DSCN8729.jpg

DSCN8727.jpg

DSCN8707.jpg

DSCN8690.jpg

DSCN8715.jpg

DSCN8721.jpg

Wow, all great photos, but that last featherduster pic is the coolest of all, it looks like it's spots are just floating in the water.

Thanks for the info on the paint. That should be enough info for me to find what I need.

Thanks people, I knew I kept my old digicam for a good reason! I would love to buy a Canon 100m or 65m macro lens, but $$$ kind of limits the toys I can buy. -_-

Thought this one was pretty cute... Sorry for the big blob in the corner. There was a really bright reflection and I tried to burn it in photoshop... needless to say my photoshop skills are lacking. :P

IMG_8169.jpg

Archived