Pod Your Reef

Lalani's 20H

Lalani

Gorgeous and fascinating as always, Lalani! The new scape looks very nice. Interesting that your red mithrax have different colored eyes! I kinda hate to see that way cool algae (in front of the crab in the "Hiding" pic) consumed, tho...

Embarrassed to say I did not know much about HC reproduction until your observations caused me to look it up. How very exciting to have breeding individuals in your tank!!

--Diane

If you saw the amount of macros that are on some of the rocks, and how they are starting to grow on top of the corals, you would want them gone too. I'm sure the crabs won't be able to completely eradicate the algae, but if they can just keep it under control, I would be happy!

The hermit crabs are cute. There is no aggression whatsoever between any of them, and it seems as though the same two are the breeding pair. The male is the largest of the bunch and I think that one is his favorite female. I know when there are crab larvae in the tank when I see the clownfish going spastic at night, darting back and forth. Then I shine a flashlight down into the tank and you can see the larvae clearly. The clown pigged out, but Bob didn't seem too interested. :huh:

sick pictures bob is awesome!

Thanks!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool crabs! Love the Bob shot relaxing under his frags. When those new base rocks get taken over by zoas etc it's going to look even better than it already does. I need to get some rics, but I'm concerned with areas of low light in my tank, I'm running out of real estate and I know the rics won't handle the halides too well.

The hermit crabs are cute. There is no aggression whatsoever between any of them, and it seems as though the same two are the breeding pair. The male is the largest of the bunch and I think that one is his favorite female.

Thanks!

:lol: You should get a marker pen and right 'Biatch' on her shell....... and 'Pimp' on his! :P

Colin, I don't think rics have any trouble adjusting to MH. You need a rock of them somewhere towards the bottom!

:lol: You should get a marker pen and right 'Biatch' on her shell....... and 'Pimp' on his! :P

Lol, you're a crazy chick! :P

Very Nice!!!!

New crabs are the snit...I love inverts.

Just got back from Hawaii B) ...damn fish and LPS coral everywhere

but not many inverts...some SPS...almost no softies.

Let me know if you want to trade for something...or I can just purchase

Stoma snails :D

Keep up the great work.

Izzue

Aww, man, Hawaii must have been nice!

I'm fond of inverts too. I'm hoping to start breeding my sexy shrimp soon. :)

Thanks and YGPM.

brshriver

Your pics are incredible. What do you do for lighting for your pics? Yours don't have that dark cave look. It seems like my pics either have nice colors popping on the corals in the dark cave look or washed out colored corals in a well lit tank look.

That blue background with no coralin really does make the tank sparkle!

Camp Lejune is only 30 mins from here--- ice storms? Its 80F and sunny right now so I am not worried about that lol!

Your pics are incredible. What do you do for lighting for your pics? Yours don't have that dark cave look. It seems like my pics either have nice colors popping on the corals in the dark cave look or washed out colored corals in a well lit tank look.

That blue background with no coralin really does make the tank sparkle!

Thank you! The lighting is natural.... well, natural as in without flash. The blue really helps when taking pics, because it lightens the tank up compared to a black background, and the camera has an easier time exposing for the average light. The tank is not super bright, so I expose for the highlights and lighten the shadowy areas in photoshop.

The stronger the lighting on the tank, the harder it is to get an average exposure, since the highlights are so bright and the shadows are so dark.

It takes a bit of tinkering, but you could try an HDR shot of your tank. There is a thread in the photography forum, titled 'HDR?!?!!' I think. :D

Camp Lejune is only 30 mins from here--- ice storms? Its 80F and sunny right now so I am not worried about that lol!

You know what I meant. :P

Big Daddy's on the run.....:

IMG_9854.jpg

For a new girl <_<:happy: :

IMG_9857.jpg

Good news on the porcelain crab! He's accepting flake food that is presented to him on the end of forceps.... greedy little thing! I think there isn't enough stuff floating in the water column to satisfy him, so I'll have to spot feed him.

brshriver
Thank you! The lighting is natural.... well, natural as in without flash. The blue really helps when taking pics, because it lightens the tank up compared to a black background, and the camera has an easier time exposing for the average light. The tank is not super bright, so I expose for the highlights and lighten the shadowy areas in photoshop.

The stronger the lighting on the tank, the harder it is to get an average exposure, since the highlights are so bright and the shadows are so dark.

It takes a bit of tinkering, but you could try an HDR shot of your tank. There is a thread in the photography forum, titled 'HDR?!?!!' I think. :D

Thanks Lalani. I'll need to reed the thread to figure out what HDR stand for :lol:

High Dynamic Range. ;)

I think there is an explanation on that thread, but basically it is the technique of merging several exposures of the same scene so that the end result is one even or 'average' exposure.. It makes the image appear more like the way the human eye processes multiple exposures at once. :)

CarterNichols

on the AC110 flow:

i am starting a DIY where i am going to extend the intake tube down and put a T on the bottom then have tube run the length of my tank with holes drilled in it so it will slow down the flow as well as get more coverage of the water it pulls up! i'll let you know how it goes!

Lalani, you are really making me wanting a Bob of my own! But I'm going for full blown sps tank and cannot afford a female bob (bobbie, perhaps?) sitting on the acro branches all day long. What should I do?

MUST RESIST THE TEMPTATION...

You got a super nice tank. *whispers* can we trade tanks?

Lalani, you are really making me wanting a Bob of my own! But I'm going for full blown sps tank and cannot afford a female bob (bobbie, perhaps?) sitting on the acro branches all day long. What should I do?

MUST RESIST THE TEMPTATION...

You got a super nice tank. *whispers* can we trade tanks?

Yes, we can trade! Your set-up is awesome!! :D

There is another problem with keeping a YCG in a SPS tank. Not only do they like to sit on them, but they loooove to eat SPS polyps! This wouldn't be a big problem if you have a large tank with lots of colonies, because it would only graze here and there... but in a smaller tank, they can do some damage. It's a shame, because they are so neat to watch.

*sigh* Guess I can only see ycg action from your thread and pretend it's mine. I think I will e-adopt Bob. :P

:lol:

Like we weren't already nerdy enough...

You know, that would be pretty cool...

--D

Lol, I'll see what I can do.

Interesting development between Bob and the clownfish...... The clownfish is starting to act submissive to him.

During feeding time, Bob swam up to her, not aggressively, but just got on top of her a little bit... She flipped onto her side and almost twitched. :lol:

That ain't right... is it? :huh:

It's OK if they're Democrats...

Others have noticed interspecies interactions too, esp. involving clownfish. Shows just how aware (and "social") these guys are. I think it's fascinating that Bob seems to be the dominant one in this relationship, though.

--Diane

Others have noticed interspecies interactions too, esp. involving clownfish. Shows just how aware (and "social") these guys are. I think it's fascinating that Bob seems to be the dominant one in this relationship, though.

--Diane

I agree..... my little YCG is the same with my Clown! I'm sure it is because Bob and Boo! (my YCG) were the first residents in their own tanks...... And now have a hot love affair going on across the atlantic :lol::P

--Diane

Hehehe

They are really interesting to watch, and I was surprised to see her react that way. I know that she has been sharing the frogspawn with him from time to time, but I never expected to see her fall over him like that.

I agree..... my little YCG is the same with my Clown! I'm sure it is because Bob and Boo! (my YCG) were the first residents in their own tanks...... And now have a hot love affair going on across the atlantic :lol::P

You are crazy! :lol:

Archived