Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lalani's 20H

Lalani

Amazing.

That is ALL I have to say.

Thanks!

WOW! That's a huge difference in those palys. I take it they are slow to multiply? They are sharp looking.

Yes, they are very slow growers. It started with 3 large polyps and one baby, and now there are 5 large polyps and 2 or 3 babies. That's been all the growth in a little over a year. They are actually starting to get a little bit of blue color in the centers. :)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kim, the new rockscape looks amazing! IMO the arrangement is perfect, and shows the thought and care you have put into this tank :bowdown:

Thanks Marie! :D

Great news, people! The new crabs are starting to come out from the rocks, and one of the red mithrax crabs is eating the macro algae in the tank! I've seen it chomping on chaeto, red algae, and caulerpa. :happydance:

starfish609
Great news, people! The new crabs are starting to come out from the rocks, and one of the red mithrax crabs is eating on the macro algae in the tank! I've seen it chomping on chaeto, red algae, and caulerpa. :happydance:

Cool. I think you forgot to add the pics. :P (I like pics, who doesn't?)

TJ_Burton
How did you know I took pictures... :scarry:

IMG_9742.jpg

IMG_9743.jpg

Wicked shots. I like that, same photo - two focal points!

You should photo shop them together so it looks like one picture! lol

starfish609
How did you know I took pictures... :scarry:

It was just a cheap shot at trying to get you to take pics and post them. ;) Hey, I already told you I was stalking your tank but not you. :P

Both pics are great though. I especially like the porcelain filtering, it's a great shot.

Wow! I love those new crabs :wub:

You don't get photographs like this in many forums Kim- thank you! Love viewing them :happydance:

Wicked shots. I like that, same photo - two focal points!

You should photo shop them together so it looks like one picture! lol

Haha, if you want to see the merged photo, you can do all the work. :P

Hey, I already told you I was stalking you but not your tank. :P

:scarry:

;)

Wow! I love those new crabs :wub:

You don't get photographs like this in many forums Kim- thank you! Love viewing them :happydance:

I love the crabs too! The porcelain is so interesting to watch and the mithraxs are going to town on the macros. Thanks. :D

rica5tully

Hi, your tank looks great! I'm setting up a 20H right now and you've given me a lot of great ideas.

Where do you put your heater? Behind the rocks? Have you found that 50W is enough, even in the winter?

Thanks,

ET

Thanks! The heater is in the AC fuge I have on the back of the tank, it's great for hiding equipment. 50w is enough for this tank. I live in LA. (Louisiana) and our house stays around 76F most of the year. If you live in a colder region, I would tell you to get at least a 100w heater. :)

Alright, I played with the 'scape just a little bit today and I think I'm going to leave it be for now. I still can't find a place where the hammer is happy. It's growing perfectly fine, but it doesn't like to inflate too much. -_-

The red mithrax crabs are machines! They have been working non-stop and are coming out into the open more often, chowing down on the macros and cleaning the rocks. Awesome little guys! One has red eyes and one has white eyes.

Night before last, one of the hermit crabs released her babies, and the clownfish pigged out big time. :lol:

FTS:

IMG_9807.jpg

She only released her last babies a couple of nights ago, and now he wants some more lovin':

IMG_9839.jpg

Hiding:

IMG_9798.jpg

Finding new hiding place:

IMG_9829.jpg

Bob's guarding his frags:

IMG_9802.jpg

starfish609

"Hiding" is such a great picture! The rest of the pics are great as well.

How's the flow in your tank? I'm trying to figure out how an AC110 and two K nanos would be in a 15 or 20L. Too much or too little - any insights?

Seems like when this board quotes me I sound crazier than usual. =P

Cheers

glennr1978

Your tank looks amazing, and your photo skills are even better!! I posted a question for you in my 40g thread. If you don't mind I'd really appreciate your input.

wow! your tanks looks even clearer and cleaner

Thanks!

How's the flow in your tank? I'm trying to figure out how an AC110 and two K nanos would be in a 15 or 20L. Too much or too little - any insights?

Seems like when this board quotes me I sound crazier than usual. =P

I think I might have edited your quote a little bit. :P

I took out one of the koralia nanos because there was too much flow. It's kind of a tricky situation in a 20H... With just the AC110 on full flow, there is too little flow, but when it's on its lowest setting and one koralia nano going, there is just a tad bit too much flow for my liking. The corals have adjusted to it, but I wish there was a little less. I could always shave the impeller for the AC110... but I don't know.

Your tank looks amazing, and your photo skills are even better!! I posted a question for you in my 40g thread. If you don't mind I'd really appreciate your input.

Thank ya! I'm heading over to your thread now. :)

starfish609
I think I might have edited your quote a little bit. :P

That's a relief - I thought you had figured out the truth. :wacko:

;) Yay, I got to use the wacko icon against myself no-less.

I took out one of the koralia nanos because there was too much flow. It's kind of a tricky situation in a 20H... With just the AC110 on full flow, there is too little flow, but when it's on its lowest setting and one koralia nano going, there is just a tad bit too much flow for my liking. The corals have adjusted to it, but I wish there was a little less. I could always shave the impeller for the AC110... but I don't know.

I like the AC110 for it's size, but the AC70 is easy to mod its flow. Have you ever thought of moving to the AC70? You would lose size for sure and I don't think you could hide your heater in it, but I'm not 100% sure. Flow is the one thing I'm having trouble figuring out. Did you ever email to see if those reflectors could even fit you light setup, just wondering?

I like the AC110 for it's size, but the AC70 is easy to mod its flow. Have you ever thought of moving to the AC70? You would lose size for sure and I don't think you could hide your heater in it, but I'm not 100% sure. Flow is the one thing I'm having trouble figuring out. Did you ever email to see if those reflectors could even fit you light setup, just wondering?

B)

I had not thought about changing the 110 for a 70, but I just don't have the money right now to make any changes. Things seem to be working as is, so I'll leave it be for now.

Uh, yeah, I haven't even thought about the individual reflectors, for the same reason. :(

Can you come to my place and take pics of my tank? I'll cook dinner!

Sure, but it depends........ What are you cooking? :P

i love your tank:) your photos are great too:-D love the crabs

Thanks, the crabs are so neat to watch!

Your choice! I live on the coast so I can get super fresh seafood! LOL

I saw your website the other day, we're actually the same age and I love your pics! Take me as your photo apprentice!

But you're in NC! My brother lived at Camp Lejeune for a couple of years.... Said the ice storms are terrible. :scarry:

Alright, I played with the 'scape just a little bit today and I think I'm going to leave it be for now. I still can't find a place where the hammer is happy. It's growing perfectly fine, but it doesn't like to inflate too much. -_-

The red mithrax crabs are machines! They have been working non-stop and are coming out into the open more often, chowing down on the macros and cleaning the rocks. Awesome little guys! One has red eyes and one has white eyes.

Night before last, one of the hermit crabs released her babies, and the clownfish pigged out big time. :lol:

FTS:

IMG_9807.jpg

She only released her last babies a couple of nights ago, and now he wants some more lovin':

IMG_9839.jpg

Hiding:

IMG_9798.jpg

Finding new hiding place:

IMG_9829.jpg

Bob's guarding his frags:

IMG_9802.jpg

I thought we needed these pics on this page, too. :))

Gorgeous and fascinating as always, Lalani! The new scape looks very nice. Interesting that your red mithrax have different colored eyes! I kinda hate to see that way cool algae (in front of the crab in the "Hiding" pic) consumed, tho...

Embarrassed to say I did not know much about HC reproduction until your observations caused me to look it up. How very exciting to have breeding individuals in your tank!!

--Diane

Archived